Working Out Too Much??

Options
Hey guys,

So I've been significantly overweight (obese), but have always loved being active. Because of my weight, I've been held back doing the activities that I love to do. One of those activities is running. I love to run, but I would always get winded quickly. But now, I've reached a point where I can run at will, and not be soar.

So my question is, is there a point where you are exercising too much? My current evening exercise consists of an hour run, followed by a round of P90X. I usually end up burning 1300-1400 calories in that 2 hours. I do this every night, and although it burns in the middle of it, I do not feel soar the next day. I am thinking of adding an additional hour run in the mornings. Is this too much? I know I need to allow my body to recover, but my body feels like it recovers within a few hours.

Any expertise/ advice helps.

Thanks!!

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The extra run in the morning is unnecessary, IMO
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Yep.

There is scientific evidence to suggest cardio over 60 minutes is unnecessary for anyone. There are no further benefits after 60 minutes. If it's the caloric deficit you're after, you'd do just as well to eat less and skip the P90X... Keep running an hour a day if you love it (I love it too!) Train for a half marathon or something that will have you running 2+ hours probably. But don't just do 2-3 hours of cardio each day because you can a) eat more or b) lose faster.

a) This won't work because what you really need is balance in the long term.
    b) This won't really work either because your body needs fuel to do all that activity...

Everything in moderation... including exercise.

I say, run an hour every day if you want... and start lifting heavier weights. Skip the P90x.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    One of your p90x peeps here.

I think you're definitely trying to take on too much. You are likely to injure yourself with that amount of work. If you're doing the p90x workouts with intensity, it should take care of most of your exercise needs if not all. I trained for and completed a marathon in 2004. It was intense but rewarding. I burned a lot of fat and a fair bit of muscle tissue too probably. I didn't have the nutritional knowledge that I've gained recently.

Nail your nutrition and you will see a lot better results. There is no need to flog yourself for two - three hours per day. Eat high quality food and exercise briefly but intensely for maximum gains. On the other side I feel your love of running too. There's nothing like being outside moving. You may need to decide if you want to loss fat while increasing strength (p90x), or run more and increase cardio levels and running ability.

Good luck
  • getitgirl11
    getitgirl11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Yep.

There is scientific evidence to suggest cardio over 60 minutes is unnecessary for anyone. There are no further benefits after 60 minutes. If it's the caloric deficit you're after, you'd do just as well to eat less and skip the P90X... Keep running an hour a day if you love it (I love it too!) Train for a half marathon or something that will have you running 2+ hours probably. But don't just do 2-3 hours of cardio each day because you can a) eat more or b) lose faster.

b) This won't really work either because your body needs fuel to do all that activity...

I say, run an hour every day if you want... and start lifting heavier weights. Skip the P90x.

Whatever you do, do NOT quit P90X (: I haven't done that program yet, but the other members of my team have and have had great results! I completed Insanity and Insanity: the Asylum and loved every minute.

HOWEVER, "doubling" workouts does nothing for you. You are going to risk injury and actually impair your results. Tony Horton puts it simply--"if you have enough energy for two workouts, you didn't push hard enough through the first".

I'm an Independent Team BeachBody Coach so this is my PASSION (: feel free to add me if you want additional advice and support!

-Cassandra
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    No such animal
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with everyone else: the extra morning run is too much.

Just because you don't get sore doesn't mean that you aren't getting results. Your body just knows what it's doing and is comfortable with it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Basic newbie mistake:

If exercise is good for me, more exercise is better for me, right?

Wrong!

You need to create the caloric deficit you require to lose weight at the rate you've chosen. You could create this through diet alone. If you throw in some resistance training then you lose less lean body mass as part of the weight loss (i.e. you'll lose more fat and less bone density/muscle). A bit of cardio once or twice a week will tune up your cardio-vascular system just fine, if that's what you want. Cardio isn't necessary to lose weight though..... bet I get slammed for that last one!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Yep.

Would you be so good as to share the source of this "scientific evidence".

To the OP, there are a lot of variables involved but I'm in agreement with the others that adding the extra run (unless you're an extremely experienced runner) is probably just an injury waiting to happen, in fact I think you're pushing your luck right now by not taking a a rest/recovery day every week. Lack of soreness is not indicative of adequate recovery.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. And yeah. Don't quit p90x. It's had an maxing impact in my life. Even more than the marathon experience.
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! For me it is more about being outside and clearing my mind, then creating more of a caloric deficit. I just figured why not burn more calories by doing so. :)

The P90X has done wonders for me this far, so I definitely want to keep that. Perhaps I will make it a walk in the morning, then cut out the hour run in the evening.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Yep.

No. I can't be bothered to look it up. This is a forum and I'm just answering the question with my response. This isn't a medical journal. It's there, though... if you want to see it, look for Mayo Clinic and such.

So it becomes a question of what do you prefer - P90x or running... do the one you love. But if you choose running because you love it, lift some weights too.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So I've been significantly overweight (obese), but have always loved being active. Because of my weight, I've been held back doing the activities that I love to do. One of those activities is running. I love to run, but I would always get winded quickly. But now, I've reached a point where I can run at will, and not be soar.

So my question is, is there a point where you are exercising too much? My current evening exercise consists of an hour run, followed by a round of P90X. I usually end up burning 1300-1400 calories in that 2 hours. I do this every night, and although it burns in the middle of it, I do not feel soar the next day. I am thinking of adding an additional hour run in the mornings. Is this too much? I know I need to allow my body to recover, but my body feels like it recovers within a few hours.

Any expertise/ advice helps.

Thanks!!

sore
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i think just a few runs a week and p90x few times a week is enough. any more and you may be overdoing it. i'm not sure you need to run for an hour every day either. i think 30-45 minutes is plenty.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great job with your question about working out too much OP!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Yep.

No. I can't be bothered to look it up. This is a forum and I'm just answering the question with my response. This isn't a medical journal. It's there, though... if you want to see it, look for Mayo Clinic and such.

So it becomes a question of what do you prefer - P90x or running... do the one you love. But if you choose running because you love it, lift some weights too.

Your unresearched blanket statement is simply incorrect. Unnecessary for anyone? Really? I'm training for a marathon. Believe me when I tell you that it is not only necessary, but critical, that I run beyond 60 minutes, in order to reach my marathon time goals. Please don't issue inaccurate blanket statements - you are doing no one any favours by doing so.

ETA: just checked your profile. Surprised you would issue such a statement given that you're a seasoned runner yourself. Don't you ever train beyond 60 minutes???
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I do a Jazzercise 60 min dance class 3-4 times a week. It has 40 mins of cardio and the last 20 is strength training. I normally on Tuesday nights do 2 of these classes in a row because I love them so much. I normally put a day inbetween classes to reduce injury.

I received feedback last night that I pushed myself too hard because I don't eat back my cals from working out. I too have been really confused about this. If anyone wants to message me personally to discuss further that know for a fact you should or shouldn't eat back your calls feel free.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Yep.

He can do both P90X and running if he wants. I currently do alternating days of running and P90X. And a few weekends when I feel like it, I do a 30 minute run and P90X. I feel P90X actually helps with my running. I love them both.

I do think that he is currently doing too much. And adding another run is pushing it. Recovery and rest are just as important.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I do a Jazzercise 60 min dance class 3-4 times a week. It has 40 mins of cardio and the last 20 is strength training. I normally on Tuesday nights do 2 of these classes in a row because I love them so much. I normally put a day inbetween classes to reduce injury.

I received feedback last night that I pushed myself too hard because I don't eat back my cals from working out. I too have been really confused about this. If anyone wants to message me personally to discuss further that know for a fact you should or shouldn't eat back your calls feel free.

Well, presumably you've already got a deficit built in to your net total for the day? If you've set it up that way then if you don't eat back the exercise cals then you're going to be whatever deficit you've set in your settings + exercise cals. That could be a massive deficit.... depends on your set goals and your exercise cals really. Only you have that information.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    yup you can over-exercise. At a point it will stop working and you'll plateau. You're putting your body in too far of a deficit. Are you losing half a pound a day? That's how many calories you are burning...not sure how many you are eating, but I doubt you're actually losing half a pound a day so I'd just stick to doing the p90x OR the running. Alternate days.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Yep.

LOL just like Fox News....make it up as you go along. You can't be bothered looking it up because it's not true. I can think of about 45,000 people who entered the NY marathon who benefited from doing more than 60 minutes of cardio at a time.