HIIt

A HIIT session consists of a warm up period of exercise, followed by six to ten repetitions of high intensity exercise, separated by medium intensity exercise, and ending with a period of cool down exercise. The high intensity exercise should be done at near maximum intensity. The medium exercise should be about 50% intensity. The number of repetitions and length of each depends on the exercise. The goal is to do at least six cycles, and to have the entire HIIT session last at least fifteen minutes and not more than twenty.

Has anyone tried it and what was your view?

Replies

• KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    I actually started this on Monday! Its tough and kicks your butt. However, only having to do it for 15 minutes is manageable. I use the Elliptical and then jump on the treadmill to cool down.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    oh and simplyshredded.com has a lot of good info about this as well.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    I do something similar to this. High Intensity for 30-50 seconds followed by a 10-20 second rest. Repeat for 12-15 minutes. Scorches major calories. I love it!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    I like it. Burns mad calories in a fraction of the time that steady state cardio takes
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    The TurboFire program has several Hiit workouts. We do them at least once a week and not two days in a row. (there always is a day off after a Hiit or a lower impact workout)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    I tried this: 2 minute warm up jog then 8 sets of 30 second sprint: 90 second run/walk then 5 minute cool down jog.

Fell into my lunch afterwards - I was aggressively hungry - and everything fine until 24 hours later when I crashed my dieting with 8 slices of thickly spread bread and sunflower spread - around 1000 calories!

I decided the total calories burned across a 30 minute steady run was above the 20 minute HIIT anyway so - unless you are trying to train for speed - I decided I was better off doing steady state runs for ten minutes longer. Why stress the body out if you are doing it to lose weight if steady cardio is just slightly longer but more efficient in the long term - less hunger, quicker recovery, less pain.
  • Kourtne_KK
    Kourtne_KK Posts: 60 Member
    I love it! Its short so you have no excuse of not having time and it can be done with or without machines. I do mines at home with no equipment and use a youtube channel called fitnessblender. they have loads of HIIT workouts! I just started but I can see a difference in my body and lost a couple of pounds too! Good luck!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I like it. Burns mad calories in a fraction of the time that steady state cardio takes

Agreed!

I tend to do 20s on, 10s off for 20 minutes. The last 10 minutes always has me struggling.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Just started a HIIT program and like it almost as much as lifting :laugh: