To listen to my trainer or not to listen to my trainer....

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Like I said, you will gain weight back and you probably will only see that you are getting more toned. He is just busting off the body fat.

Do what you want to do, I just think before writing off his suggestions you should try it or at least discuss his reasoning behind it.

I understand your concerns and I get it, you want to be stronger not skinny. You might drop 6 pounds, but you probably won't notice it the way you think you would.

At least talk to him about it.
    This person's advice is consistently poor. Your original plan was good as others have said. I'd stay with it if I were you.
  • mmapags
    Options
    If your measurements are going down, then the scale is irrelevant and I say keep doing what you're doing.

Bingo!!
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in the spring

If you were getting married tomorrow, would you be satisfied with your physique for wedding pictures and such as it is right now?

yes.

I don't look "bad" by any means- you can look at my pictures. I just want to get a stronger and build my muscle. I'm not soft or round or heavy right now. I just went to him to have him show me how to do different heavy lifts with the correct technique and 3 weeks in he suggests the calorie decrease. I had no complaints about my progress so far as it hasn't been very long.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    PT are not supposed to give nutrition advice. I thought they can make recommendation, but they are not supposed to guide you like he is. The reason is that hey have no training in it. Now, he might, so I don't know, it's always possible that he does have also a certificate or whatever in nutrition. More likely, he just knows, like many people here know, but he's not supposed to give advice on nutrition. I would just listen, but respectfully decline his hutrition advice. And, just do your own thing.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What's the point of paying for a trainer if you're not going to follow his/her advice?
  • Shaybug
    Options
    Like I said, you will gain weight back and you probably will only see that you are getting more toned. He is just busting off the body fat.

Do what you want to do, I just think before writing off his suggestions you should try it or at least discuss his reasoning behind it.

I understand your concerns and I get it, you want to be stronger not skinny. You might drop 6 pounds, but you probably won't notice it the way you think you would.

At least talk to him about it.
    This person's advice is consistently poor. Your original plan was good as others have said. I'd stay with it if I were you.

We agree here (: Thanks!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If I lose a pound a week for 8 weeks that puts me at 5'4" and 112 pounds. How can I increase my strength by doing that?

you want to be 112 at 5ft4?

No, he suggested I lose 1 lb/week for 6-8 weeks. I'm 119.5 now.....so if I lose that much I'll be 112. Not my goal. I like me at 118-120, I just want to be stronger and toned, and build up a great butt (:

Could he be setting you up for a bulk cycle?

He didn't say, and when I questioned him I was told , lets just focus on decreasing the calories right now and reassess when you've done that.

OK. Your trainer is an idiot. He's used to women coming to him to lose weight and he's focused on THAT and not actually listening to you and what YOU WANT. Ignore his advice.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Listen to the trainer.

No they aren't a dietitian however they can make nutritional recommendations that will fit into the customized workout plans that they design for you.

I would find out if he is just certified or if he has a degree in Exercise Physiology. The education they get is entirely different. Besides, it isn't like he is putting you on a 500 calorie diet or anything. With the 1300-1500 you should be able to eat all day long and the one pound per week is a reasonable amount of weight loss.

After the 6 weeks he will probably change it again. Just saying, if you aren't going to listen to him why are you paying him.

no
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your PT isn't listening to you. Either talk to him and see if he adjusts or dump him. Unless you have some great relationship with your PT and there's a piece missing from the story I can't see another alternative.
  • Shaybug
    Options
    What's the point of paying for a trainer if you're not going to follow his/her advice?

I'm not paying him. He is a trainer at my gym and my gym gives 3 free lessons/evaluations per 6 months so I thought I'd try it since I am interested in lifting heavy and getting away from VLCD....I needed/wanted somebody to show me how to do the heavy lifts correctly so I wouldn't look like a dumb girl or hurt myself. Since then he has started giving me input and advice when I go and this was his advice this week after asking me if my weight had changed.
  • Shaybug
    Options
    Think I'll be keeping my goals steady at eating at TDEE - 15%, continue with my heavy lifting and make sure my ear buds are in and my music is loud today when I go to the gym.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    honestly, stop weighing yourself. throw the scale out the window. if you want to seriously get some muscle to you (not bodybuilding, but some real definition, nice guns, abs, strong legs, etc) then your scale either won't budge or it may even go up a bit. I personally started out 75lbs overweight. i did the calorie counting thing for 1 1/2 months, and dropped 15lbs. Then i started crossfit, which i think for your goals would be PERFECT for you to get into. I haven't budged one...single...pound. not at all. BUT, my body fat % is down, my inches have gone way down, i'm getting some defintion and toning up quite a bit.

check out my profile picture.... that is the results i've gotten in 5 months. I have yet to take my 6 month photos on the 30th.

p.s. i have been eating a lot of 'whatever i want' this entire time, and i've still gotten some GREAT results, and the scale isn't fluxuating. I've learned the scale is the last thing i care about. Unless you plan to carry it around with you and step on it every time you want someone to notice a number has changed, then it really shouldn't define you. Go by inches, clothes, etc. Those will show it more than anything!! :)

You look awesome! Loved the wedding pictures too, beautiful. Thanks for the support. I"ve looked into CrossFit and am terrified! Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet.

honestly it's the best thing i've done for myself!!

my weights have gone up in the past 6 months (keep in mind, i did NOTHING before starting CF. it's the only thing i have been able to stick to. the people in there are great and really keep you accountable!!)

Deadlifts- started @ 175lbs
    now @ 235

Back Squat- started @ 60lbs
    now @ 185lbs

Power Clean- started @ 45lbs
    now @ 105lbs

pullups- i used to have to stand on a box and do jumping ones. After about 4 months, i got to a band and now i can string 10 together without stopping while doing kipping.

box jumps- started @ 8"
    now @ 20"

it's made me so much stronger. i have a lot more stats but those are the basics. and i tell you what... you keep wanting that perfect round shapely booty.... THIS will get it for you!!! it's all about SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS!!! don't let the intimidation stop you. the first couple months i felt nauseus before every class because of my nerves. it does go away to an extent, but if you don't fear your workouts, you aren't working hard enough!! I hope you can try it out because i think you'll love it. i only request, that you take a full week of classes before you decide wether to stay or quit. each and every day the workouts are different, everything is scaled to your current ability, and it's a true non-judgement zone. Go for it!! :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    yes.

I don't look "bad" by any means- you can look at my pictures. I just want to get a stronger and build my muscle. I'm not soft or round or heavy right now. I just went to him to have him show me how to do different heavy lifts with the correct technique and 3 weeks in he suggests the calorie decrease. I had no complaints about my progress so far as it hasn't been very long.

I hope my comment didn't come off as insulting. I was purposefully not stating how I thought you looked one way or the other. I think my wife is BEAUTIFUL, and leading up to our wedding the past June she was constantly complaining about how ugly/fat/whatever she thought she looked. Your thoughts on how you look are far and away more important for your own wedding (and for any day, really) than mine so I didn't bother to weigh in.

Since you're happy with how you look now, focus on the long term (which is what you're doing). The only thing I will mention is that you don't want to make too many drastic changes too quickly, especially right before your wedding. That would be about as risky as I understand getting a hair cut the night before your ceremony is supposed to be (though I did it had no problems ;P). What you're doing now is fine: upping calories slightly and focusing on increasing your lifts. Keep doing that until you're not seeing gains anymore. Then up calories a bit more and potentially train a bit harder.

With respect to trainers, they often get set in one methodology and try to hammer that paradigm in for everyone. The good ones don't, but it's pretty clear at this point that your trainer doesn't fall into that category. In my own experience I had to go to another trainer before my existing one would even listen to the fact that I wanted to be a power lifter (he kept trying to pigeon hole me into a circuit training paradigm). I'm not going to say you should nix your trainer outright, but you should definitely sit him down and talk about YOUR goals and what you want to see happening.

Either way, good luck.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    honestly, stop weighing yourself. throw the scale out the window. if you want to seriously get some muscle to you (not bodybuilding, but some real definition, nice guns, abs, strong legs, etc) then your scale either won't budge or it may even go up a bit. I personally started out 75lbs overweight. i did the calorie counting thing for 1 1/2 months, and dropped 15lbs. Then i started crossfit, which i think for your goals would be PERFECT for you to get into. I haven't budged one...single...pound. not at all. BUT, my body fat % is down, my inches have gone way down, i'm getting some defintion and toning up quite a bit.

check out my profile picture.... that is the results i've gotten in 5 months. I have yet to take my 6 month photos on the 30th.

p.s. i have been eating a lot of 'whatever i want' this entire time, and i've still gotten some GREAT results, and the scale isn't fluxuating. I've learned the scale is the last thing i care about. Unless you plan to carry it around with you and step on it every time you want someone to notice a number has changed, then it really shouldn't define you. Go by inches, clothes, etc. Those will show it more than anything!! :)

You look awesome! Loved the wedding pictures too, beautiful. Thanks for the support. I"ve looked into CrossFit and am terrified! Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet.

honestly it's the best thing i've done for myself!!

my weights have gone up in the past 6 months (keep in mind, i did NOTHING before starting CF. it's the only thing i have been able to stick to. the people in there are great and really keep you accountable!!)

Deadlifts- started @ 175lbs
    now @ 235

Back Squat- started @ 60lbs
    now @ 185lbs

Power Clean- started @ 45lbs
    now @ 105lbs

pullups- i used to have to stand on a box and do jumping ones. After about 4 months, i got to a band and now i can string 10 together without stopping while doing kipping.

box jumps- started @ 8"
    now @ 20"

it's made me so much stronger. i have a lot more stats but those are the basics. and i tell you what... you keep wanting that perfect round shapely booty.... THIS will get it for you!!! it's all about SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS!!! don't let the intimidation stop you. the first couple months i felt nauseus before every class because of my nerves. it does go away to an extent, but if you don't fear your workouts, you aren't working hard enough!! I hope you can try it out because i think you'll love it. i only request, that you take a full week of classes before you decide wether to stay or quit. each and every day the workouts are different, everything is scaled to your current ability, and it's a true non-judgement zone. Go for it!! :)

p.s. thanks for the compliments!! those wedding photos were taken before any weight loss program was started. too bad i can't rewind lol!
  • Shaybug
    Options
    yes.

I hope my comment didn't come off as insulting. I was purposefully not stating how I thought you looked one way or the other. I think my wife is BEAUTIFUL, and leading up to our wedding the past June she was constantly complaining about how ugly/fat/whatever she thought she looked. Your thoughts on how you look are far and away more important for your own wedding (and for any day, really) than mine so I didn't bother to weigh in.

Since you're happy with how you look now, focus on the long term (which is what you're doing). The only thing I will mention is that you don't want to make too many drastic changes too quickly, especially right before your wedding. That would be about as risky as I understand getting a hair cut the night before your ceremony is supposed to be (though I did it had no problems ;P). What you're doing now is fine: upping calories slightly and focusing on increasing your lifts. Keep doing that until you're not seeing gains anymore. Then up calories a bit more and potentially train a bit harder.

With respect to trainers, they often get set in one methodology and try to hammer that paradigm in for everyone. The good ones don't, but it's pretty clear at this point that your trainer doesn't fall into that category. In my own experience I had to go to another trainer before my existing one would even listen to the fact that I wanted to be a power lifter (he kept trying to pigeon hole me into a circuit training paradigm). I'm not going to say you should nix your trainer outright, but you should definitely sit him down and talk about YOUR goals and what you want to see happening.

Either way, good luck.

No offense taken at all (:

Thanks for the support.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If I lose a pound a week for 8 weeks that puts me at 5'4" and 112 pounds. How can I increase my strength by doing that?

you want to be 112 at 5ft4?

No, he suggested I lose 1 lb/week for 6-8 weeks. I'm 119.5 now.....so if I lose that much I'll be 112. Not my goal. I like me at 118-120, I just want to be stronger and toned, and build up a great butt (:

Could he be setting you up for a bulk cycle?

He didn't say, and when I questioned him I was told , lets just focus on decreasing the calories right now and reassess when you've done that.

That certainly doesn't make me feel good about things...
  • mmapags
    Options
    Took a look at your pics. You don't want the scale to go down that I can see!! I think you were right on track from the start and your plan was and is a great one!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I'm not paying him. He is a trainer at my gym and my gym gives 3 free lessons/evaluations per 6 months

That doesn't make me feel good either... he's got no reason to be vested in you, your goals or your progress. I'd have a pretty thorough conversation with him asking lots of "why" and "what then" questions and see what he says.

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The trainer is free, he's what the gym provides. He's not vested in you long term. Keep getting advice on proper form from him. Form is key in lifting heavy.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I'm not paying him. He is a trainer at my gym and my gym gives 3 free lessons/evaluations per 6 months so I thought I'd try it since I am interested in lifting heavy and getting away from VLCD....I needed/wanted somebody to show me how to do the heavy lifts correctly so I wouldn't look like a dumb girl or hurt myself. Since then he has started giving me input and advice when I go and this was his advice this week after asking me if my weight had changed.

Dont' let this guy get to you. He's a "free" trainer and I'm sorry but with an RN you probably know far more about nutrition than he does. Your pictures show a very well proportioned woman and you want to get stronger. He's giving you canned B.S. advice that will work against your goals.