Running: The physical and the mental

Options
2»

Replies

• SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    When I started I just absolutely hated running. I didn't understand people who ran, and wanted to run. To choose to go run over anything else- I didn't get it! Then I got fat, really fat and I decided I needed to work out. I started on the elliptical,but didn't see any improvement. Decided I better start eating right and that helped some. I wanted to get fit though, not skinny, so I decided maybe I should run. I could do it at home, no gym and on my own terms. I bought a 2.99 app that told me when to run and when to walk and I used it. I got in the best shape, pace ,and form by gradually working my way up. That was in Feb of 2012. Since then I have run a half marathon, a 16 mile trail run, and a mud run,+ several 5k's. I run at least 15 miles a week now. I did run more, but I've added weight lifting to my routine so I run 3 days at 3.12 and 1 day at 6-8 miles. I am a grump if I don't get my miles in. The days in between runs I think I should probably go run anyway, lol. Even on days I don't want to run, I'm always happier when I do. 2 days ago I was getting antsy for my daughter to finish her homework so I could run before dark and she says "JUST GO!" I have just finally come to terms with I am now a runner.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I started running for the same reasons 2 years ago mainly alot going on in my personal life doctors wanted me to try antidepressants but running made all the stress go away. Today I still try to run 5 days a week 8 miles a run. I love it. Grats and my personal life is much better now.
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    How many are there that are ONLY treadmill only runners? I haven't the courage to head outdoors yet. Anyone else have the good ol runners knee issues?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Good for you !
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    How many are there that are ONLY treadmill only runners? I haven't the courage to head outdoors yet. Anyone else have the good ol runners knee issues?

If it wasn't in the teen's outside I think outside runs would be more probable. But since it's freaking cold out there..nooo thanks. Spring though!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

I'm a treamill only runner at the moment. I workout at night so that's my best option. Gonna take it outdoors one weekend soon, but so far it's the treadmill. It's not bad, I mess with the speed and incline so much, the time flies by :smile: There are some nice greenways in my city and I'm looking forward to running on those.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!