What shoud I choose for activity level?

Options
I'm not sure if I should choose sedentary or lightly active? I have a desk job, and I'm sitting from 7:10am til 5pm...but then when I get home I have an almost 6 month old and a 4 1/2 year old...I'm pretty much on my feet until bedtime cleaning up, doing dishes, giving the kids bath, getting stuff ready for the next day...etc. So what do you think!? When I pick sedentary it gives me 1200 calories a day, but lightly active it gives me 1330. I work out 3x a week but idk if that's included.

Replies

• Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. Most of the day you are sitting.

From there, when you work out, log those exercises every time (this will give more calories for that day).

As for being active at home, you might be able to find a suitable cardio exercise to log that as.

If MFP has your calories set to 1200, that could mean your weight loss goals are too ambitious... or that you're really short.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much me. I'm here at work from 8:30 until 4:30 Monday to Friday. Get home and I'm cooking, cleaning, getting ready for the next day, but after that's done and the kids are in bed, I usually relax. I log my workouts and eat half my calories back. If I do anything above and beyond my usual cleaning (sweep, vacuum, mop in one day as an example), I log it.

I'm set as sedentary, because, well, I am! At the moment I'm at 1240 calories, and I eat just that on my lazy days (sadly those are more common lately!), but on my exercise days, I usually range between 1300 and 1400 calories.

My goal is set to 1.5lbs per week, I started with 80lbs to lose, and now I'm at 51 to go. When I hit the 40lbs to lose, I'm moving my goal down to 1lb per week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'd say lightly active.

Switching from sedentary to lightly active gives me about 130 extra calories a day. If I logged my normal household activity (dog walking, cleaning, etc) as extra exercise, it would give me a lot more extra calories than 130.... probably too much more.
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll just keep it where it's at...I tried 1200 calories and always went over but I can stick to 1330. Btw I'm 5'5 1/2" and started at 180lbs, with 51lbs to lose. I already lost 8 so I must be doing something right, right? :)
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but I walk almost everywhere and use public transportation...I have myself set at "sedentary" and was given 1200 calories. Often I eat 1300 and I'm losing weight and getting more fit--the only consequence I've noticed is MFP not giving me props when I finish my day because I'm not meeting my 1200 calorie goal. I can live with that...I can see how switching it might make sense...
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just switched to lightly active. I also have a desk job, but I work out at least 4 times a week. I am also moving around at work and home. So far its working, so I'm keeping it at lightly active.