Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pregnant and looking to keep weight down

Hello! I joined this because I am pregnant with my second child, and since I was still working on losing the weight from my first child, I really don't want to gain much weight, if any at all. My goal is to eat healthy enough to provide myself and my baby what we need, without gaining weight.

Are there any other ladies out there in the same boat? I'd love to hear from you!

~A

Replies

• Not anymore, but I've been there! What's most important is to stay healthy for you and baby. I ate much cleaner during my second pregnancy than I ever have. I cut out the sweets and junk food and stuck to lean meats, veggies, fruits, lots of water, etc. I gained 27 lbs--my son weighed 8 lbs 14 oz--so by the time I left the hospital I only had 5 lbs to lose to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. You can do this!
  • People always use pregnancy as an excuse to binge, which is why they put on weight. Allow yourself a sweet treat maybe once a week, but do not fall prey to calorific things everyday. Don't eat junk or processed food. Don't calorie count or that will drive you mad. Eat whenever you actually feel hungry and not for the sake of it. Eat only brown carbs, no white bread or pasta and eat lots of lean meat, fruit and veg. Drink lots of water and stay away from sugary drinks.
  • I am in the exact same boat. I am having trouble exercising because my sciatic nerve. Are you exercising at all?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Right here!

I've gained 20 lbs in 28 weeks of pregnancy and have been tracking my calories since about 8 weeks along along with 30+ mins of light cardio every day.

Your body only needs about 300 extra calories per day to grow your baby, so keep your calorie intake at maintenance plus 300 for most of the pregnancy, and you'll be fine.

Also, I do not recommend relying on your hunger signals alone to determine when and how much you should be eating. Your body is going to go through phases where you're not going to want to eat or you'll want to stuff your face. The goal is to get control over the aversions and cravings by eating regularly every day and being consistent.

A healthy pregnancy weight gain IS possible and achievable!
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    I was really heavy and so I lost weight while pregnant without trying (HCG diet fo' real).

It's like the other ladies have said. Don't binge. You're not actually eating for two. You really only need about 300 extra calories a day. Try prenatal yoga, it will at least keep you active.

And if you drink soda, stop. Stop now. It doesn't matter if it's regular or diet. It will sabotage you.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    And if you drink soda, stop. Stop now. It doesn't matter if it's regular or diet. It will sabotage you.

Not true at all.

I have been drinking sodas (no more than 1-2 per day) for most of my pregnancy, and I've been totally fine. It will not sabotage you at all as long as you keep the intake under control and not exceed your calorie limit for the day. Caffeine should be limited, but 1 soda per day even a caffeinated one, is not going to derail you.

Now, if soda causes you to binge eat or drink, then avoid it, but otherwise, you're fine.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    I am in the exact same boat. I am having trouble exercising because my sciatic nerve. Are you exercising at all?

I'm trying to get a walk in every day, which, with it getting cold, means going to the mall… I also try to do some yoga every day, even if it's only some stretching for 10 minutes, and i try to do calisthenics a few times a week. I had sciatic pain in the begining of my first pregnancy, but so far, i haven't had an issue. If this is your first, it may just be due to your hips widening, and it will go away. My biggest thing is finding the time, between taking care of my 9mo and the house…
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    I don't drink soda at all, so that's not really my issue. My difficulty with food is eating regularly. I agree with Pregasauras; I can't rely on my hunger/full responses, because I often will not eat all day, only to eat everything I shouldn't in the evening… I find I do best when I eat balanced throughout the day. My OB said I should be taking in 2300 calories a day, but MFP has me at 2100, and I'm finding that, even with eating well, I'm not even taking in that much. I'm not too concerned about that, because I'm eating well, and I'm not hungry.

My other issue is going to be the holidays. I'm the baker in the family, and the christmas cookies fall to me; it's almost instinctual to taste-test everything that I make, so that will take a conscious effort.

My last pregnancy, I gained so much (60lbs all said and done) and there were a lot of mitigating factors that I am not dealing with this time around, so, I'm really hopeful that I can do this differently. :)

• My other issue is going to be the holidays. I'm the baker in the family, and the christmas cookies fall to me; it's almost instinctual to taste-test everything that I make, so that will take a conscious effort.

I find that chewing gum while baking or cooking helps curb my taste testing. :)

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Thank you! I will have to try the whole chewing gum thing- it does work for me when I'm cutting onions, so why not?
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Pregnancy is NOT a time to diet! You aren't necessarily "eating for two", but you DO have to increase your calories somewhat and eat healthy (as well as taking your prenatal vitamins that include folic acid). Remember, half to 3/4 of the weight you gain will be water, increased blood volume, placenta, and baby!

When in doubt, ask your doctor to refer you to a prenatal dietician or nutritionist.
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member

Not true at all.

I have been drinking sodas (no more than 1-2 per day) for most of my pregnancy, and I've been totally fine. It will not sabotage you at all as long as you keep the intake under control and not exceed your calorie limit for the day. Caffeine should be limited, but 1 soda per day even a caffeinated one, is not going to derail you.

Now, if soda causes you to binge eat or drink, then avoid it, but otherwise, you're fine.

Yeah, you can stay under your calories, but the chemicals and sugar you're putting into your body are NOT good for you.