Happy With My Muscle Tone But....

Options
So I have been lifting and lifting and finally got to a point where I am happy with my current level of muscle tone. I do notice the weights are starting to feel lighter and I'm not challenged when lifting like I used to be. I wonder...if I stay at the same number of reps and weight, will that maintain my current level of fitness forever and ever? I figure there has to be a point of plateau and/or a point when increasing and increasing you just max out? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around this.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you lift the same AND eat the same then yes, you will probably stay the same. As far as increasing the weight you lift, it can be done quickly at first, but gets slower and slower as you go. However, you can't keep increasing for a long time without eating enough and adding some weight to your body.
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That is what I was thinking initially but then I thought -- if my work-out routines are becoming less physically demanding (continuing with the same number of reps and weight), will I eventually see a backslide in progress? My goal is not to get stronger or bigger, I just want to stay where I am in terms of muscle.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'd love to hear some answers. I'm not nearly finished progressing just yet but I'd love to hear some theories on this.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Your nutrition would probably play the biggest factor, but working out sounds like it will become mundane, and a plateau would be the least of your worries :cry:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes if you stay the same in weights and reps, you'll likely stay the same in fitness levels.

My question would be, I understand your goal is not to get stronger/bigger, but if the weights are becoming easy, would it not be sensible to up them? You will get stronger through this but you won't put on any noticeable size. I can't see any downsides personally to more strength but the same size.

To add muscle size you ideally have to eat in a surplus and lift specifically to add size. Lets say you transitioned to maintenance at some point, and focus hard on gaining strength,yes you may add a little muscle over time, but it won't be much at all, since you're female. Considering that you're not even concentrating on gaining strength, it seems very unlikely to begin with. I just don't see the point though in staying at the same level you're at if it's easier to move up. Won't it get boring doing the same weight/reps all the time?

Also, strength and muscle gains do slow down over time. Faster in the beginning and gradually getting slower and slower until you reach your genetic natural potential (which is also not going to happen unless you aim for that)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    _all_ weightlifting programs are based on a concept called "progressive overload" which basically means that as you get stronger, you must continue to find ways to make the exercise more difficult--either by adding more weight, or stepping up to more dynamic versions of the exercise. if things become easy, you will find that either your strength or endurance may actually begin to hit a decline.

bottom line: if you care about the functional aspect of your fitness, you _will_ find some way to keep adding to the difficulty of the exercise as you get stronger. you _will_ either up the weight, or you _will_ find some other way to make the exercise more difficult.
  • SillyFitMe
    Options
    Interesting thoughts. I don't worry about my work-outs becoming mundane because I don't exactly exercise for the excitement of it. I find doing 15 or 18lb biceps curls equally boring but I stick with it because none the less. I do find though...it is easier to get motivated to exercise on easy work-out days. Now every day is becoming easy and I do it more. I just don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I guess ultimately, as long as I am moving...it's a good thing!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a jerk, but aren't you really asking if you can maintain where you are currently without really doing anything?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Interesting thoughts. I don't worry about my work-outs becoming mundane because I don't exactly exercise for the excitement of it. I find doing 15 or 18lb biceps curls equally boring but I stick with it because none the less. I do find though...it is easier to get motivated to exercise on easy work-out days. Now every day is becoming easy and I do it more. I just don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I guess ultimately, as long as I am moving...it's a good thing!

In that case, if you prefer it when it's easy. Why not up the weights when it gets REALLY easy. That way, you're still improving (even if it's insanely slow), the reps/sets should still be easy, and there's less chance of your progress declining than if you made no improvements at all.
  • SillyFitMe
    Options
    Ironplayground - How is exercising at my current level (P90X 4-5 times a week) not doing anything? What am I missing?
  • SillyFitMe
    Options
    That's a good approach Heidi. I'm not opposed to exerting energy for the sake of being healthy. I just wonder how much more is necessary if I've already attained my goals.
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    How is exercising at my current level (P90X 4-5 times a week) not doing anything? What am I missing?

Maybe you should have included that you are doing P90x 4-5 times per week to begin with. The way you worded your OP made it sound like you only lift weights because you feel you have to, but really can't stand doing it.

However, if you can up the weight slightly, you will be better off. You won't gain muscle unless you are eating at a caloric surplus. You will get some strength gain, but not much since you may still be eating at a slight deficit or near close to maintenance.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My question would be, I understand your goal is not to get stronger/bigger, but if the weights are becoming easy, would it not be sensible to up them? You will get stronger through this but you won't put on any noticeable size. I can't see any downsides personally to more strength but the same size.

I think for people who enjoy lifting, getting stronger and upping weights is very exciting and rewarding. Personally... I have sort of loathed every minute of lifting I've ever done. I spend most of the workout cursing in my head "This &$#!ing hurts - my hamstrings are shaking - dammit - ouch! I hate rows... and deadlifts... and squats!" :laugh:

I lift only because it's good for me. I like the physical results - both in terms of health and appearance. But, when I get to a point where I'm happy with my appearance and health (and I'm pretty close right now!), I honestly can't say I will definitely want to continue to challenge myself to get stronger. I might opt to maintain my current level of strength, and focus on improving my speed or my endurance. I might be OK with lifting at the same level, over and over again - because lifting has always been the boring part of fitness for me, even when I see improvement. We'll see... like I said, I'm not quite there yet. Maybe when I get there, I'll change my mind.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So I have been lifting and lifting and finally got to a point where I am happy with my current level of muscle tone. I do notice the weights are starting to feel lighter and I'm not challenged when lifting like I used to be. I wonder...if I stay at the same number of reps and weight, will that maintain my current level of fitness forever and ever? I figure there has to be a point of plateau and/or a point when increasing and increasing you just max out? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

with regards to it becoming easier a large % of that will be due neurological response. As your body gets accustomed to the weight and move your muscle will be doing less and less work, even with the same weight and rep ranges.

I would suggest when you can reach your desired rep range, then increase the weight, if you cannot increase weight (as in don't have heavier stuff and wont buy it) then increase the reps, otherwise you may actually be using less and less of your muscles if you don't continually increase either reps or weight
  • SillyFitMe
    Options
    How is exercising at my current level (P90X 4-5 times a week) not doing anything? What am I missing?

Maybe you should have included that you are doing P90x 4-5 times per week to begin with. The way you worded your OP made it sound like you only lift weights because you feel you have to, but really can't stand doing it.

However, if you can up the weight slightly, you will be better off. You won't gain muscle unless you are eating at a caloric surplus. You will get some strength gain, but not much since you may still be eating at a slight deficit or near close to maintenance.

My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. I like lifting and exercising -- just trying to get a handle on the whole maintenance aspect. Specifically not changing my current muscle tone one way or the other.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Your nutrition would probably play the biggest factor, but working out sounds like it will become mundane, and a plateau would be the least of your worries :cry:

^^^ This...
  • IronPlayground
    Options

My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. I like lifting and exercising -- just trying to get a handle on the whole maintenance aspect. Specifically not changing my current muscle tone one way or the other.

You'll be fine at maintenance calories and still upping the weights slightly. As mentioned, you'd need to eat above your TDEE to put on muscle. It's even more difficult for women to add muscle because testosterone levels just aren't there.
  • SillyFitMe
    Options

I think for people who enjoy lifting, getting stronger and upping weights is very exciting and rewarding. Personally... I have sort of loathed every minute of lifting I've ever done. I spend most of the workout cursing in my head "This &$#!ing hurts - my hamstrings are shaking - dammit - ouch! I hate rows... and deadlifts... and squats!" :laugh:

I lift only because it's good for me. I like the physical results - both in terms of health and appearance. But, when I get to a point where I'm happy with my appearance and health (and I'm pretty close right now!), I honestly can't say I will definitely want to continue to challenge myself to get stronger. I might opt to maintain my current level of strength, and focus on improving my speed or my endurance. I might be OK with lifting at the same level, over and over again - because lifting has always been the boring part of fitness for me, even when I see improvement. We'll see... like I said, I'm not quite there yet. Maybe when I get there, I'll change my mind.

Too funny!! Can I get faster or stronger? Of course but let's face it...I am not competing in fitness competitions and I don't have to move furniture for a living. I just want to stay where I'm at.
  • SillyFitMe
    Options

with regards to it becoming easier a large % of that will be due neurological response. As your body gets accustomed to the weight and move your muscle will be doing less and less work, even with the same weight and rep ranges.

I would suggest when you can reach your desired rep range, then increase the weight, if you cannot increase weight (as in don't have heavier stuff and wont buy it) then increase the reps, otherwise you may actually be using less and less of your muscles if you don't continually increase either reps or weight

Ah ha!! I think you are on to something!!