Christmas Traditions?

Options
the_journeyman
the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
Anyone have Christmas (or Holiday if you prefer) traditions that are fun?

We go see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's winter tour every year. It's usually the last Friday in November at our local venue. Absolutely awesome way to spend the evening.

What's yours?

JM

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve @ my Mom's:

Homemade Clam Chowder & watch It's a Wonderful Life

Been doing that for as long as I can remember..
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Pig out then make fun of family members who've gotten fat and gossip about who's kids are misbehaved and how bad their parents are.

Normal family stuff...
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    We go see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's winter tour every year.

That sounds like so much fun!

We always go to the Christmas Eve service at church, then over to my Aunt's to pig out on junk food. Then we all cram into my parents mini van, drive around look at Christmas lights and sing Christmas carols. Me and my 3 sisters all spend the night at my parent's house (one of my sisters still lives at home) open presents on Christmas morning, then cook a big old ham for the family for lunch.

We also generally go on a family vacation around Christmas time... Never over Christmas itself, but I still consider that a christmas present to myself.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Me and the missus make a point of buying one new gorgeous tree ornament every year. it means that when we decorate the tree we have lovely reminders of past Christmases and how far we've come and all that malarkey........
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I read *twas the night before xmas* to all our kids every xmas eve.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    All of those things sound great! This is a good read.

When my sister and I were little, we would be so restless on Christmas Eve like little kids are. My parents would drives us around to look at Christmas lights.

We also buy ornaments, but we have a "Travel" tree with ornaments of all the places we've traveled to. There's also a "Frog" tree with only frog ornaments!

JM
  • LollipopPsyco
    Options
    we drive around to look at all the lights.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'd say a couple of our major ones are:

The first ornament hung on our tree every year is the one my husband and I got on our first christmas together. Then we do the family ones.

My kids each get a new ornament every year for them to hang (they'll have their own starter collection when they leave home).

And my favorite....one night close to christmas, my husband and I turn on a christmas movie and sit on our floor for a couple of hours wrapping ALL of the presents together!
  • nrbromert
    nrbromert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Christmas eve soup night, homemade clam chowder, french onion and a rotating chili or bean soup. Don't forget the homemade bratwurst making Christmas afternoon.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Lately my mom's been getting a break from cooking so we usually go to my parents house on Christmas Eve, order Chinese, open gifts and watch Lampoon Christmas Vacation. Christmas morning we go to my mother in laws and do brunch and gifts.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The kids get new jammies and a Christmas book on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day they get another set of jammies that they usually wear the entire day. We open presents in the morning and it is holiday snacking foods the rest of the day. We don't have any 'meals'.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Yes here in Germany we "herald" Christmas one day before. Hanging out with friends drink Glühwein and have fun. There are lots of partys as well!!!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Open a gift on Christmas eve and play drinking games with my boyfriends family. Wake up hungover and cook dinner.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Put out a glass of sherry and mince pie for Father Christmas/Santa Claus/Saint Nick and some milk and carrots for the reindeers. Every year on christmas eve.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Lately my mom's been getting a break from cooking so we usually go to my parents house on Christmas Eve, order Chinese, open gifts and watch Lampoon Christmas Vacation. Christmas morning we go to my mother in laws and do brunch and gifts.

do the waiters sing "Deck the Halls" too?

fa ra ra ra ra....

lol we get it to go...but *I* sing that :laugh: Annoys my mother to the edge of the earth and back...