Tasty (meat based) meals

Options
HeidiMightyRawr
HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
I'm looking for some ideas of new foods/recipes I could try out. Would prefer it to be meat based, because it's the easiest way for me to get my protein is (plus I like it!) What are your favourites at the moment?

I couldn't care less about the calories btw, the higher the better (gaining). So it doesn't matter if it's not low cal basically.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? I made this a few weekends ago and it was really delicious.

Recipe courtesy of:
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/slow-cooker-parmesan-honey-pork-roast.html

1 (2-3 pound) boneless pork roast
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup honey
    3 Tbsp soy sauce
    2 Tbsp dried basil
    2 Tbsp minced garlic
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup cold water

Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place roast in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the cheese, honey, soy sauce, basil, garlic, oil and salt; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
    Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy (I also made mashed potatoes and the gravy was delicious on them!).
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    X-Meat Chili (where X>=4) is always good. I usually just slow cook the meats, some cans of tomato sauce/puree/paste/chunks, some cans of varied beans, and a bunch of peppers for as long as I care to wait (you can tell I'm very precise). Then I'll eat it with sour cream, melted cheese, and salsa.

If you're in for a bit more exotic fare, I grew up eating this and love it (half Samoan):
    http://www.food.com/recipe/oka-samoan-raw-fish-and-coconut-milk-458451
    That recipe is pretty darn close to how my family makes it, though I'm a snob about it since I always used fresh coconut milk and not the canned stuff. Make SURE you drain the fish well or it comes out looking like vomit.

For a very low carb, high protein/fat meal I'm a big fan of tuna. I'll take 4-8 cans of tuna, a cup of Russian dressing, 2+ cups of cooked egg whites, and pepper. I eat it straight like that but normal folks may appreciate it more on a salad or something.

Another favorite of mine is baking whole chickens and basting them in tequila and lime. I end up wasted by the end of the cooking process so I'm not sure if it's the alcohol or the actual meal, but I find it delicious at that point.

The wife and I made an apple meatloaf crusted with cinnamon recently, that turned out REALLY well. Normal meatloaf with diced apple mixed in and a dusting of cinnamon after cooking. I ate it with sriracha instead of ketchup.

4 scoops of chocolate protein, a pint of chocolate ice cream, 4+ tablespoons of peanut butter, the rest of the blender with whole fat milk. That's over 2000 calories right there, and freaking amazing. You can also change it up a bit and use eggnog instead, though I've never tried it. I imagine you'd change the protein and ice cream to vanilla and would use a ton of cinnamon instead of the peanut butter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? I made this a few weekends ago and it was really delicious.

Recipe courtesy of:
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/slow-cooker-parmesan-honey-pork-roast.html

1 (2-3 pound) boneless pork roast
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup honey
    3 Tbsp soy sauce
    2 Tbsp dried basil
    2 Tbsp minced garlic
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup cold water

Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place roast in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the cheese, honey, soy sauce, basil, garlic, oil and salt; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
    Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy (I also made mashed potatoes and the gravy was delicious on them!).

i need a slow cooker....!!!
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    saving for later
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    Thank you! The slow cooker idea sounds yummy, and the apple meatloaf! I might make apple crumble as pudding too! :D
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Here's a picture of the complete meal. I made it with sauteed spinach and roasted butternut squash. Enjoy!

8227516952_a31b314456.jpg
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken cordon bleu. Pound out chicken breast, add ham slice, add slice of cheese and roll or fold up and grill. (or bake) Same thing is good with bacon instead of ham.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    Here's a picture of the complete meal. I made it with sauteed spinach and roasted butternut squash. Enjoy!

8227516952_a31b314456.jpg

That looks so good. Never tried butternut squash but I've heard it's good and after seeing that picture I bought some while at the shops! :)
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Ohh yay! Butternut squash is so delicious. Definitely one of my comfort foods.

Here's the recipe for the squash you see in the photo:

Roasted Butternut Squash

6 servings

One large squash
    3 T brown sugar
    3 T butter
    1 tsp Five Spice Powder
    1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel squash and break it down into inch sized pieces. Mix together sugar, spice and salt. Toss squash with sugar/spice mixture and pour onto a foil line baking sheet. Cut butter into small pieces and sprinkle over top. Roast for 20-30 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.

I built the recipe into my recipes and the calories per serving came out to 100.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I Was watching Cooks Country this weekend and they made Herbed Roast Beef it looked so good. I want to share.

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Herbed-Roast-Beef/21141/