Anyone taking iron supplements for anemia?

Options
... And getting wicked constipation because of it? (TMI, I know, whatever)

How are you dealing with it? Cause this is starting to get really annoying, but weighing the costs/benefits of NOT taking them versus continuing is just depressing.

Replies

• perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had to with both my pregnancies. I highly recommend taking the FE Iron pills (slow release), they are more expensive but they don't wreack havoc on the body the way the regular iron pills do. Also, lots of fiber and stool softeners if necessary.
  • isitsororo
    Options
    I take slow release iron and haven't had any clearly linked constipation issues.
  • cjam134
    cjam134 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take it only once a week and I take a stool softener with it. I'm awaiting the results of my latest blood tests to see if I should up it to twice a week. I could never take it daily.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I got severe constipation when I quit smoking. I know, different reasons , but same symptoms.

I started supplementing my fiber with Metamucil. I discovered I was fiber deficient long before I stopped smoking and my life has changed (in the context of this subject matter).

I would be weary of stool softeners and focus more on making sure you are getting plenty of fiber everyday, whether it is through a supplement or naturally through fruits, veggies, etc.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I took iron supplements for a while, but more had problems with upset stomach than constipation.

That said, dried fruit (specifically plums/prunes and apricots) is a wonderful source of fiber, and yummy too (have to make sure I don't eat too much of that stuff).
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm on 325 mg daily of iron for anemia. I make sure to take it with a half cup or so of orange juice, as that helps absorption. I eat lots of fiber. The first week of taking iron I was struggling with digestive ~issues~ but after that I guess my body adapted and now I'm doing fine. I do watch my fiber though, gotta keep that up.
  • steph4goodhealth
    Options
    I use the Angstrom Liquid Iron Supplement from Healthshop101 online. It is cell-ready and 99.9% absorbable and most efficient for the body. It doesn't go through the digestive system, so there is not the constipation that you experience with other forms of iron supplements. I personally think this is the best form of iron to take if you have to supplement for iron deficiency...it is very affordable and I only had to take a tsp per day...
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Kroger brand in a green bottle, it's 27mg of Iron or Ferrous Sulfate. There are different types of iron. I've been iron deficient anemic for YEARS, and had to have a blood transfusion because of it. I have been taking the iron supplement daily for 3 years, first thing in the morning and I have had no stomach or digestive issues. I would say that my diet has a lot to do with it since I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies but even before I ate this way, I didn't have any issues so it may not be due to my diet. I still think you should consider taking it first thing in the morning and taking it with orange juice and then probably a fruit smoothie, fruit salad or regular salad to jump start your digestion for the day.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Use a chelated form of iron, as those are far easier to absorb and, in my experience, won't back you up. I cannot tolerate any other form of iron tablets, but I do okay with the relatively low doses in good multivitamin-mineral supplements. If you do get backed up, the most effective natural way to help deal is senna tea - available at any health food store.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no but its quite understandable
    my iron used to low all the time
    might still be
    I just take a multi vitamin
  • blampman1978
    Options
    I use Iron citrate. I just can't do the sulfate or the slow FE and I don't absorb iron well so I've had a few infusions. I always take a calcium/magnesium supplement, it works well for muscle aches and pains that are common for low iron and keeps things moving.
  • Senalj
    Senalj Posts: 11
    Options
    I take my iron pill in the morning on an empty stomach with half a glass of orange juice. I also drink at least 100 ounces of water each day, and eat quite a bit of fiber. I haven't had any issues with constipation, so maybe try that and see if it helps. I've heard liquid iron works better, but I'm not going to try that until I've finished all of my pills. Too bad I got the big bottle from Costco!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I drink this calm drink, or you can take Magnesium.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I think the quality of the vitamin plays a huge part in it....I use Andrew Lessmans Iron Plus....from Procaplabs.....and no I am not associated in any way, and this is NOT and advertisement LOL....just letting you know...:)

PS: I have numerous blood diseases, and pernicious B-12/severe anemia....I use to get 2 Iron IV's a week....drip drip drip....Have not had to do that since starting Iron Plus 3 years ago:)...Good luck, and here's the link to his website

http://www.procapslabs.com/Products/details.aspx?Iron+Plus%u2122
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Health food store ,its liquid and no side effects takes alittle longer but worth it .and mixed with real food that contain iron its the way for me to go .....cant take iron pills because of other health isues.
  • happyjerseygirl123
    happyjerseygirl123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love the Andrew Lessman Iron Pills!!!! I have been using them for years because they are the only ones that don't cause any type of stomach issues.I buy mine from HSN, they run specials and have free shipping from time to time.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've been on them for 6 months, I do notice a difference but I think my diet is high enough in fibre that it doesn't cause issues. For me not being on them wasn't an option, I could keep on struggling through every day
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm iron deficient and my dr just had me start taking them. She recommended Miralax for me if I needed it
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    Another vote here for the slow release ones. I take two (doctor's orders), not just one, each night before going to bed. I have never had even a hint of a side effect, although I do try to eat a LOT of fiber, as in minimum 30g per day. The pills have made a huge difference in raising my iron levels. Good luck finding one that works for you!
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a lack of iron absorption, so I need to take Vitamin C with my elemental iron pills. The doctor seemed to think it would both aid in absorption as well as in avoiding the constipation issues. So far, after about 18 months of taking these together, I've yet to experience any trouble with that particularly unpleasant side effect. Hope this helps. :)