"Healthy" Meat?

Options
13»

Replies

• fliedlice84
    Options
    My boss is really into this "Bullet-Proof" diet, and in doing so, has been created sauces and spreads using MCT oil. Being that it's essentially pure medium chain triglycerides, it's healthier than anything you can buy on the shelf. I would buy the oil and research recipes. Thus far he has made mayonnaise (perfect for your tuna salads,etc.) and Bacon Vinaigrette for his spinach salads. He loves it. I've only recently started to introduce myself to ketones so I just ordered a bottle of MCT Oil and will be trying it out myself. From what I hear it's great and lifts your energy. Something I truly need...
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh, And sauces. that's something else I have a hard time with. on sandwiches, everything I ate was dipped in some kind of sauce. BBQ, Ranch, some kind of grilling sauce, always a sauce. I LOVE it! any good low(er) Calorie sauce Ideas, or even subsitutes? Or even just fresh sandwhich Ideas? I eat so many salads and sanwiches I'm kinda getting burned out on the "usual"... any ideas?

when I make my sammies - I use hummus or trader joes reduced guilt spinach & kale dip. instead of mayo or mustard....thinly sliced meats and cheese.... super tasty! I always add n lettuce and thinly sliced cucumbers for extra crunchy goodness
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Honestly, meat isn't that high in calories in my opinion unless you are also accounting for sauces & marinades put on them. Grilled meat with dry seasoning for the most part are low in calories. Perhaps your portions are skewed.
  • prpljellybean
    prpljellybean Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I stick with chicken, fish, and turkey most of the time with some leaner red meat thrown in here and there. There are SOOOO many recipes on the internet! You can find a lightened up version (or 50) for about any kind of sauce out there. You can also find tons of recipes for fish. Our favorite types of fish are talapia, shark, mahi mahi, and salmon. Salmon is full of the GOOD fat. Anyways lol that is a little of how we are doing it :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

One of my daily affirmations
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The leanest steak would probably be Filet Mignon. I prefer its neighbor a well trimmed Beef Tenderloin.

also consider:
    sirloin, london broil

personally prefer silroin over filet.

I prefer to sir-fry with sirloin!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh, And sauces. that's something else I have a hard time with. on sandwiches, everything I ate was dipped in some kind of sauce. BBQ, Ranch, some kind of grilling sauce, always a sauce. I LOVE it! any good low(er) Calorie sauce Ideas, or even subsitutes? Or even just fresh sandwhich Ideas? I eat so many salads and sanwiches I'm kinda getting burned out on the "usual"... any ideas?

I use boneless chicken breast, boil it with Saltgrass 7 seasoning (the more, the spicer), shred it, and mix with light miracle whip. Three ounces of meat on two slices of whole wheat bread = 190 calories. 21 Carbs, 6 fat, 21 protein and so good!

Oh, and three ounces of this is actually quite a bit so you may not put that much on yours.

Three ounces of meat is "quite a bit?" For many meats, three ounces is one serving, the "right" amount. For chicken breast though, 4-6 ounces is one serving.

3 oz is quite a bit for most sandwiches, though.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

3 oz is quite a bit for most sandwiches, though.

3 oz. of meat is my first bite...
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There is no better red meat then venison.

THIS!!

There is one - Moose! :)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    There is no better red meat then venison.

THIS!!

There is one - Moose! :)

There are no Moose where I live, so I'm sticking with deer.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm all about white meat chicken, albacore tuna, and tilipia. As for the sauces, I had to break myself from them. Have you tried to substitute with more seasoning or veggies? There is several salt-free McCormick spices in shakers on the market today. I've also used green, yellow, and red peppers sliced thin and cooked with my meats on my George Forman grill. If you want to skillet fry, try a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil (or canola).

I've heard there is a gluten-free gravy at Boston Market (we don't have one around here though).

Good luck to you! :happy:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    grass fed, grass finished, and pastured meats are going to be your healthiest choices, but they are expensive
  • KMRose1788
    KMRose1788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also used to not eat fish, any at all, ever. It grossed me out. Slowly after 23+ years of being fish free I will eat any of it now. And I love it. I need it prepared well (love it bbq'd, in curry, raw) and I can't get enough! Oysters for lunch, clams and salmon for dinner! Yum! I live in Seattle though where it is readily available. But, we buy frozen talapia filets at Coscto and I love them, I started eating those first and have moved into everything else. My favorite way is cooked fish (whatever kind) over a bed of spinach with some asian salad dressing. yummmm. Keep trying it, if you don't like it don't write it off, try it again prepared a different way.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Emu meat is fairly high on the healthy meat list.

For a second I thought you said Emo .... opps

And the thread turned cannibal on the first page!

I prefer happier meat.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Emu meat is fairly high on the healthy meat list.

For a second I thought you said Emo .... opps

And the thread turned cannibal on the first page!

I prefer happier meat.

The deer seemed happy while I was watching it for a minute or two through the scope.