Wondering what a normal resting heart rate is?

Options
I know it's probably different in everyone. But I'm just curious to see what the "normal" on average is.

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how fit you are! The fitter you are the lower your resting heart rate will be. The average for females is anywhere between 70-75. But again it depends on how fit you are. the last time I checked, my resting heart rate was between 52-55bpm.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Mine right now is about 82 (but I'm pregnant which makes it higher). I think for the average woman its about 70-75 or something but it also changes depending on age too I believe... you can probably find a chart on the net somewhere...
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how fit you are! The fitter you are the lower your resting heart rate will be. The average for females is anywhere between 70-75. But again it depends on how fit you are. the last time I checked, my resting heart rate was between 52-55bpm.

Which is why I'm so curious, mine seems abnormally high then. At 120, or sometimes higher. I'm fairly fit, and only eighteen years old.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    Or is it based JUST on the BPM? Idk what that is for me.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Its based on BPM! If you have a heart rate monitor, you can wear it at night over the course of 5-7 nights and first thing when you wake up in the morning look at the watch and see what your heart rate is. OR when you are at work you can wear it and just sit quietly at your desk for a few minutes and track your numbers like that to see what your avg resting heart rate is.

But fitness level is a huge factor is RHR...
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    is 120 your top blood pressure number b/c if it is that's something totally different then your RHR...
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the 40's I am not very fit something I am working on though.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Where are you coming up with 120? That is extremely high for a resting heart rate

How are you measuring? If you are counting beats for ten seconds, you have to multiply by six. If for 30 seconds, x2.

Make sure you are doing it right, and if it is still at 120, you probably need to see a dr. By the way, at 120, your chest should be thumping

Mine is around 50.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    Its based on BPM! If you have a heart rate monitor, you can wear it at night over the course of 5-7 nights and first thing when you wake up in the morning look at the watch and see what your heart rate is. OR when you are at work you can wear it and just sit quietly at your desk for a few minutes and track your numbers like that to see what your avg resting heart rate is.

But fitness level is a huge factor is RHR...

Okay, good to know! I was basing it on the overall heart rate. I do have a heart monitor on the way. But I don't have a desk job lol, I'm a salesperson and in school to be a nurse.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    Where are you coming up with 120? That is extremely high for a resting heart rate

How are you measuring? If you are counting beats for ten seconds, you have to multiply by six. If for 30 seconds, x2.

Make sure you are doing it right, and if it is still at 120, you probably need to see a dr. By the way, at 120, your chest should be thumping

Mine is around 50.

I'm talking about like when you first get on a treadmill, with a heart monitor in it, and haven't really done anything yet. That number that comes up. It's not the BPM though.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You may want to see a doctor. I went to the doc for a high heart rate (over 100) and it turns out I had Graves' Disease, a thyroid disorder. Better to be safe!
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    You may want to see a doctor. I went to the doc for a high heart rate (over 100) and it turns out I had Graves' Disease, a thyroid disorder. Better to be safe!

Unfortunetly I can't get in until January. But I think I'm definetly going to. Thank you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's not resting HR then.

First thing in morning before stirring much to grab watch. That's RHR.

Before your muscles warm up, yeah first jump on the treadmill is going to be high.

That's why I think it's so stupid at Dr office to march you into room, hope on table, and take HR and Blood Pressure. Everything is going to be elevated.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You're checking at the wrong time. If you have been moving at all you are not getting your resting HR.

To get an accurate reading you need to check your HR first thing in the morning, before you even get out of bed. Keep a timer or a stopwatch on your nightstand so you are prepared the next morning.

My resting HR is 55. Back when I was unfit and overweight it was 80.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    A resting heart rate is not "one size fits all". I am sure if you are in the 90+ range you have some problems but otherwise it depends to some extend on both your level of fitness, age, and biology.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    That's not resting HR then.

First thing in morning before stirring much to grab watch. That's RHR.

Before your muscles warm up, yeah first jump on the treadmill is going to be high.

That's why I think it's so stupid at Dr office to march you into room, hope on table, and take HR and Blood Pressure. Everything is going to be elevated.

That's what I wanted to know. So didn't know it was based on th BPM lol. Thanks for all the help!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Mine is 38-40
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    mine runs around 62 usually
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Read this!

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/determining-your-resting-heart-rate.html

Step by step instructions for the CORRECT way to find your resting HR.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    Alright everbody I understand now. Thanks for enlightening me! I'll check it out when my heart rate monitor gets here.