New fav less than 100 cal appetizer

Options
Calantorntain
Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
I was visiting my bf this weekend, and he had a bunch of tomatoes for me (nobody in is house likes tomatoes, so he bought them for my visit, aww).

I decided to eat them as an appetizer while we cooked dinner. Often I would do balsamic vinaigrette dressing + sliced tomatoes... but they had no vinaigrette dressings. And I would have done olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper... but they had no olive oil.

Luckily, they had an unopened bottle of fancy balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and a fresh pepper grinder... and it was SO GOOD. I didn't even miss the oil. I ended up having three medium tomatoes (did I mention I love tomatoes?), and that huge amount of food was under 100 cal. And I got to torment him with tomato kisses.

Pretty obvious, but if you haven't tried leaving the oil off of your tomato slices before, give it a try!

Replies

• MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    IDK about appetizers, but as far as snacks are concerned, my go to's are apples and special K chocolatey pretzel bars, even though I'm not supposed to have them :noway:
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    IDK about appetizers, but as far as snacks are concerned, my go to's are apples and special K chocolatey pretzel bars, even though I'm not supposed to have them :noway:

Somehow snacking hadn't even occurred to me. I guess I've never thought of tomato as a snack food. You just blew my mind. Think I'm going to have to get a little bottle of vinegar to keep at my desk at work.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    That's yummy, I never have my tomatoes with oil though the juice is enough for me :D
    Most people think it's weird I eat them as a snack, I love little cherry tomatoes! :D
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I love tomatos!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing with my salads -- no oil, just balsamic, black pepper, and coarse sea salt. SO GOOD. Of course, I also believe the theory that you need a bit of fat to help digest greens, but that's usually provided by something else I've added to my salad, like salmon or avocado.
  • Lenora_A_L
    Options
    I love tomatoes just plain but will have to try. I am also going to try Balsamic vinegar with pepper and sea salt. It sounds really good. Thanks for the ideas!
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar in a frying pan (no oil) add tomatos until soften/skin cracks as a side dish with fish is amazing - little bit of cracked sea salt on top and your mouth will thank you forever!
  • bjsamafnas
    Options
    sound delicous!
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love halved cherry tomatoes with a little sprinkle of salt, a big sprinkle of black pepper and a sprinkle of dried basil flakes!!