Recover from depression with diet and exercise

Options
Six months ago I was severely depressed and I could not get out of bed. I was obese and lonely. I thought to myself, what if I was to walk for 6 hours per day instead of sleeping an extra 6 hours during the day. So with this, I got out of bed, and I started to fight. I hired and watch all of the Rocky movies.

On my first walk, I lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes and I was sore and injured. I soon realised that I did not need to train 6 hours per day. So instead, I walked for an hour per day six days per week for six months. I have lost 30 kg and I have recovered from anxiety and depression with diet and exercise after an 18 year battle.

I remain on MFP as I still have a little to lose, but I am here to inspire and help others do what I did.

Your doctor can only do so much for you. It is up to you. It has been shown that a good diet and regular exercise is just as effective as anti-depressants to treat mild to moderate depression. So get out of bed and step away from the potato chips.

Start training and recover for life.

Add me if you need help.

Paul.

Replies

• dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss and overcoming your depression.
    I found being active, as hard as it is when your in a real low, really helps!
    Keep it up!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU! What an inspiration you are. And how wonderful of you to share this in a hope to help others.

Congrats on your success and your recovery! I wish you a lifetime of happiness and health :)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
    Very happy for you.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU! What an inspiration you are. And how wonderful of you to share this in a hope to help others.

Congrats on your success and your recovery! I wish you a lifetime of happiness and health :)
    I couldnt have said it better :flowerforyou:
  • fusion777
    Options
    That is so great, I am so happy for you. I do find that if I am hanging around the house doing nothing, going for a long walk totally changes my perspective and there is just something about being outdoors even if I am alone with my thoughts.

I have a feeling your post is going to help so many people more than you willl ever know. Thank you for posting this.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well done. As someone who has struggled with depression in the past, I have come to realize how important it is for me to get some exercise nearly every day to keep my mood up. It's hard when one is low to get out and walk, but it really does help. Fantastic job!
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    How did you dig deep enough to find the motivation to start during your depression?

I am very aware of the effects healthy diet and exercise have on depression, but knowing it doesn't seem to be enough.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for your weightloss and perserverance in walking
  • orangelobster
    Options
    One day at a time my friend, one day at a time. You are not alone.
  • denisemc1407
    denisemc1407 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And thank you for sharing this hope with others. Congratulations on your new body AND mental outlook!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!