Anyone else afraid of the SCALE??

Options
I joined on September 14th and I'm coming up on my 90th day...which is awesome. After many years of crash diets, fads and letting my emotions get the best of me I've come to MFP to do it right. I've been following a plan that will allow me to lose 2lbs per week.
I still haven't weighed myself yet because I don't want to be disappointed if I haven't lost 2lbs a week, silly I know by I'm afraid if I weigh myself and I don't have the expected result it might cause me to fail. I've told my self not to weigh myself until April which would be 6 months. I figure that after 6 months that I would be at my goal weight of 185 and be satisfied. I started at 230.
All my clothes fit way better now and people are noticing, which is good, but as you can tell, I'm affected by what the scale says, so I'm just going to put it away until April.
The weight loss I've recorded on my badge are based on losing 1 lb per week, which is at 12.

Replies

31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    I actually look forward to my weigh day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Granpa always said that the best way to solve a problem is to ignore it
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Uh...

Huh?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs without a scale. I also gained 60 lbs without a scale.

I think you need some way to keep track. How about a once every two weeks weigh in? Then just write it down and move on. It's just a number.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Never...I step all over that thing and it never bites back
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    All my clothes fit way better now and people are noticing, which is good, but as you can tell, I'm affected by what the scale says, so I'm just going to put it away until April.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

If the reading on the scale elicits a negative emotional reaction which leads to binging which derails your efforts then it needs to go....
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    F the scale...grab a tape measure!
  • Mara_816
    Options
    i get scared by the scale when i know i didnt do good a day or 2 during the week, but when i do very good i cant wait to get on the scale... this app helped me lose 50 pounds last year! now i want to lose even more so FEEL FREE TO ADD ME PLEASE!!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't let the scale rule your life that badly.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Weigh once a month, once a week, once a day (I do that). Don't weigh at all ever. Go by how you feel/look.

So again, whatever works for YOU!.
  • Sililily115
    Options
    I'm the same... If i lost weight I'm like of this is easy I could probably spare a few more calories.. and If i gain I'm like of heck this aint working! So, I'm not sure when I'll next weigh myself lol
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yes i am, i hate disappointment, but i know it's necessary. So i weigh myself once a month, and i measure every 2 weeks just to make sure I'm on track without the stress
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm afraid of the scale, its evil as you well know, however, aren't you a bit curious to hear the real number, I'm sure you lost more then 12lbs, and I'm afraid that lb a week is just not working for me, don't get me wrong i follow the mfp rules but the scale is not.

Cheers:drinker:

Now weigh yourself you got us all just so curious:ohwell:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every night before going to bed just so I can see how much less it is the next morning when I step on it again. And if it doesn't say what I want it to, then I step on it a few more times until I'm convinced and take the best reading I get.

I don't care what the scale says, it's great at tracking a general idea of how I'm doing....my clothes, the tape measure, and the mirror have more impact on me than the scale does.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, it took me almost 4 months to start seeing a difference on the scale but my clothes told a different story. I think it's hard to gauge each individuals preference for weighing themselves. I weigh myself every day and that works for me, though some mornings it may not be the number I want I take it for what it is - and most importantly continue with MFP and the gym visits.

I am looking for this experience to transition to a life after MFP, so I think do what works for you, and hopefully you will develop at least a "like" relationship with the scale : )
  • kmccracken123
    Options
    I am not afraid of the scales, but I don't rely on them for weight loss. I can tell by how my jeans fit when I have lost weight. And, my motivation is to look good, again, in snug blue jeans. I have always weighed more than I look; deceiving to say the least since at my annual physical last week I was on the very edge of being "obese"!
    I have been on MFP for less than a week and so far it is the easiest way to balance my "food budget". Like money in your pocket, when the (money) calories are gone you quit buying.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I always look forward to my weigh ins :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I keep the scale at a friend's house. We hang out once a week. That's when I weigh myself.

I'd go insane if it were available for me every day to check.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    *shrug* I usually weigh myself every day. It doesn't much affect me at all. It's just a number. As long as the average general trend is downward, no matter how slowly, I am fine. And I KNOW if the trend starts going the wrong way in time to start doing something about it right away. You really need SOMETHING to go off of. Even weighing in once a month is better than just not knowing at all if there is anything you could adjust or do differently...but I suppose measuring/going by clothing feel is a good gauge, too, if the scale really has such a bad mean ing to you...
  • BlueJue2
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have a hate/hate relationship with the scale. Even when my clothes are getting loose and my face is getting thinner, the scale doesn't always reflect it. I have put my scale away until just before Christmas. (A mini goal is to be in Onederland by Christmas). Depending on what it says then will let me know if I keep it or throw it in the trash.