Muscle gain with Calorie deficit...???

Options
Hi.

Question for the experts here.

Over the past couple of years, I've lost quite a bit of weight, and I'm pretty pleased with that... however, my weight loss has pretty much stopped, for nearly a year now - even though I eat at a deficit. Something needs to change, but I'm not sure what it is.

My bmi ranges between 22.7 to 23.6, with body fat at about 14-16%. I'm 51 yrs old, though I don't appear so, and I compete with men in their 30's and 40's (and 50's 60's and 70's too!)

I do lots of cardio (bike commute about 80 mins/day and play racquetball 4 or 5 days a week for an hour or two), and some - but not too much - strength training (actually, just restarting that now).

I'm kinda thin, and I wouldn't mind putting on some muscle.

Question is: I'd like to keep my weight, add some muscle and lose some fat... perhaps get into the 12-14% range.

Should I up my calories? If so, how much? (currently eating 1350 net)
Should I expect to gain some weight? If so, should I expect to gain fat too?
And lastly - considering my stats, how much value should I put on keeping BMI<25? (This was my hard-fought goal, so I am quite reluctant to let myself get over that number)

Thanks in advance!

-Maury

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    <---Not an expert.

Took a look at your diary and it appears you are netting a very low number of calories for an adult male. I would suggest eating more calories but would raise them slowly to allow your body to repair your metabolism. Eating at such a large deficit for so long has probably not been good for you. Start a strength training program and eat more calories. Also make sure you are getting enough protein and fat everyday.

Minimum 1 gram per pound of lean body mass for protein
    Minimum .35 grams per pound of lean body mass for fat
    The rest of your cals can be made up from whatever carbs, fats, proteins you like.

To add any muscle you will need to eat in a calorie surplus. You will gain weight and some of that will be fat but managing your calories should limit the fat gains to a low amount.

If you let us know your height and weight someone can probably give you a good estimate on how many cals you should try to get.

BMI is not a great measure of healthy body weight so I wouldnt even worry about that number.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Thanks for the help.

Here's that info you mentioned:

I'm 5' 7", 150lbs

I'm pretty sure I get plenty of protein, and it seems that the fat comes along with that. I quite naturally dislike carbs. (My natural preferences look quite a bit like the Atkins diet).

BTW, my gross calorie consumption is about 1600 - 1800 per day... but when cardio is removed, it's at the 1200-1400 net usually.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I get plenty of protein, and it seems that the fat comes along with that. I quite naturally dislike carbs. (My natural preferences look quite a bit like the Atkins diet).

BTW, my gross calorie consumption is about 1600 - 1800 per day... but when cardio is removed, it's at the 1200-1400 net usually.

According to your diary, your protein intake is very hit and miss.

You're going to have to be in a calorie surplus to gain muscle. You're not eating anywhere close to enough calories for a surplus, so you're probably going to have to cut way back on your non-lifting activity as well.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Thanks for the help.

Here's that info you mentioned:

I'm 5' 7", 150lbs

Ah good I didnt go that far back but you had some really low days for the last few. The calculator I use says you should be netting about 1800 hundred just to maintain your current weight. If you want to add muscle you would want to eat that plus exercise plus a couple hundred.

I would still not suggest raising your calories that high over night but gradually to allow your body to adapt to the increase. Start the strength training now though. You may see some weight gain at first but it will be mostly water. Your muscle will need that water to help with repairing and recovering.
  • mauryr
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I fear that 1800+ net will probably have me gaining weight... but it's worth a shot, as this current calorie deficit is not working anymore!

Will increase lifting, (unhappily) decrease cardio.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I fear that 1800+ net will probably have me gaining weight... but it's worth a shot, as this current calorie deficit is not working anymore!

Your body got used to the 1200 net and it will get used to the 1800 also. There may be some short term gain in weight but if you raise your cals gradually and start the strength training there should be minimal fat gain. You might just want to throw the scale away and go by the mirror and how you feel.
  • mauryr
    Options
    Well, I'll certainly use my pants waist size as a gauge. Hopefully that stays as-is.

I'll certainly have no problem increasing net cals!
  • restyle1337
    Options
    If you focus on heavy lifting and follow a good routine like Starting Strength, you can probably double your calories and still not gain much fat.

Lift heavy stuff, eat enough, repeat! :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Bulk then cut.
  • Madelinew22
    Options

i no that we are very different but i net about 1600 and im a 120lb 5'2 23 year old female, you can do it dude. just work ur way up
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    From this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Should I bulk or cut?
    If you are asking this question, you are probably a new trainee with some fat but not a lot and likely not a lot of muscle either. As a brand new trainee you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously for 3-4 months. After that you will have to pick one or the other and cycle. A good rule of thumb I have seen stated is cut to 10%bf, bulk to 15%bf and repeat until you have the look you want. As for the first 3-4 months, eat at maintenance until your progress stalls (most notably you can no longer increase weight on your lifts). At that time re-evaluate yourself and decide whether you would be happier with less fat or more muscle first. (The body fat percentages listed here are for males. For women they would be higher and possibly vary from one to another.)