Any Morbid Obese Low Carbers Dieters??

Options
2»

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am currently around 150 carbs per day... 100 protein... 50 fat... Totally working to keep the veggies in, whole grains at this point, low glycemic index fruits, lean proteins and good fats (avocado, olive oil and almonds for the most part). 101 since the first of July and hoping to be down to 105 or 21 pounds per month for the last five months... Want to be down 120 by the end of the first six months and at least 180 by the year mark. As the weight comes off it becomes easier to keep increasing the exercise. Great start... keep up the hard work and make it the new lifestyle and you will achieve your dreams.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    What you'll find on these forums there are too many experts (sarcasm ) everybody seems to know it all take some replies with a pinch of salt .Great loss and keep up the good work
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets don't help reduce fat, It's mostly water and glycogen you lost. If you're happy with that type of plan then stick to it, just letting you know it doesn't increase the speed of fat loss and doesn't offer additional benefits.

That must be one big bathroom break lol
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You can add me - I have lost 106 pounds, and want to lose at least 100 more.

I'm not exactly trying to be "LOW low carb" but focusing more on higher protein/fiber content, which has resulted in fewer carbs/fats.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of low carb stupidity in this thread. Indeed though that is pretty much all water but some fat too, along with some muscle.

May people thrive on low carb, if it works for you keep it up.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You are burning fat due to the reduction of calories not because of the lack of carbs.
    This is not quite inaccurate.

Your two main energy consuming organs are your brain and your muscles.

The muscle. It can only use glucose as the energy source. Glucose comes either from glycogen (stored carbs within the muscle), from food (consumed carbs) or from ketones (which come from fat and then get converted to glucose in the liver). So if you've depleted your glycogen stores, and you are not consuming any carbs, your muscle has no energy source other than fat.

The brain. Unlike muscle, it has no energy stores. It can use either glucose, or ketones directly. Again, ketones come from fat. No carbs = you will burn fat to provide energy for your brain. It will take a few days for the enzymes to start working properly that's why you feel crabby and mentally exhausted at first. Once your body goes into ketosis you can function perfectly well on zero carbs, both mentally and physically.

So you do burn fat due to calorie deficit, but with low or zero carb diet your metabolism adapts to specifically use fat as MAIN energy source. You still need calorie deficit by all means.