Snowed In - Testing my patience

Options
I live just outside of the Washington DC area, and have been snowed in since Thursday night of last week. I spent 3 days breaking thru the 4ft x 4ft wall of snow at the end of my driveway and I am both mentally and physically exhausted to say the least. Also my neighbor threw his back out shoveling his driveway, so I went next door and finished up what he couldn't do. My body feels like a used up piece of chewed meat at this point.

So now, we have another storm coming starting tomorrow afternoon that is supposedly dropping another 10" - 20" of snow. I finally had to break down and brave the roads to hit the store as I was out of bread, milk and cat food. The roads were so terrible, I broke down crying on the way home just from the stress of everything. And all I could think of while I was at the grocery store was JUNK FOOD!!!! I wanted the Cheetos, the donuts and every single box of Twinkies on the shelf. I didn't break tho, didn't buy one bad junk food item. I did splurge and get a can of roasted almonds, but I was >this close< to getting CHOCOLATE. I do know that I am an emotional eater. Whenever I am stressed or depressed, the first thing I turn to is comfort food.

It looks like I'll be stuck in the house for probably another week as the roads will be too unbearable to even attempt to get out. I have a box of Fudge brownies in my cupboard from a few months ago that I still haven't made. I keep looking at them everytime I go into the pantry.

I pray my body lasts for the next round of snow shoveling and my will power gives me the strength to NOT make those brownies.

Replies

• ajr050969
    ajr050969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    THROW OUT THE BOX! You will crack and eat the whole darn thing. Open the box and dump the mix into the trash. No one could look at that day after day and NOT eat it. Good luck! :smile:
  • cmarsh1
    cmarsh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! It is hard being snowed in with nothing to do but think about food. Worst part for me is my daughter made brownies today because she was bored. They are my favorite. I keep thinking I can stay away but it is so hard! I am trying to stay busy. Good luck, I think tomorrow is going to be interesting!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Don't have any advice, but I'm right there with you -literally. I'm about 20 miles north of DC, so we also got smacked with the snow. Hopefully, it will stop soon. So sick of this...I want to go back to all those years of barely having any snow!
  • snowflowr82
    snowflowr82 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i looked up how many calories burned an hour by shoveling snow and its 308 calories so make sure you log that and if you have enough calories from shoveling the driveway i would take half the box of brownie mix and make half the amount and save the other half for later. I read where you can add i think a can of diet soda to brownie mix and bake so you arnt getting all the calories from the eggs and oil that usually you add. You can have some goodies done deprive yourself of every chocolaty thing.. :) Good job on burning all those calories! If you make half the brownies use half a can of diet soda :) you may have to ad 1-2 egg whites but thats not that many calories
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Check out the picture you have on your counter.....a goal:wink: isn't it? Hang in there, this snow can't last forever:smile:

Laura
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I'm with Snow Flower 82. You can totally have some brownies for shoveling all that snow. Applesauce makes a great substitution for oil in those recipes. Just make sure to use some cooking spray in your pan before you put the dough in there. Give 1/2 the pan away. Cut up the rest and wrap them in saran wrap right away individually. Eat 2 and put the rest in the back of the fridge for another day.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Check out the picture you have on your counter.....a goal:wink: isn't it? Hang in there, this snow can't last forever:smile:

Laura

Thank you for my laugh of the day. Because of the "smiley" after the word "goal" I misread it as "goat"--so I went back the the original poster's ticker--and quickly figured out that I had not read correctly the first time!!!:laugh: :laugh:

BTW,

So sorry you are having to go through all that snow--I hear they are calling it "Snowmaggendon.":noway: Hurry springtime. That stuff HAS to melt eventually, but until it does--use your exercise calories and treat yourself to those brownies--taking advantage of the previously posted calorie-saving tips for the recipe.

I live in Washington stated, and today, hard as it is to believe, a local weather prognosticator announced that since the beginning of the year Los Angeles, CA has MORE rain that we do here in the "Pacific Northwet"--guess will have to change our nickname to "Pacific Northslightlydamp.":laugh:

The fact that you are aware you are an emotional eater gives you an important tool for controlling it. I applaud you for resisting temptation at the grocery store.

Just remember, "SPRING WILL COME!!":flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rrlucero
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such nice and encouraging words. :blushing:

Today was just so trying and exhausting, and with the next storm coming in dropping yet another foot of snow, I'm about at my wits end. I think I just need a good night's rest, and yes, my ticker is my goal eventually (LOL at goat btw :laugh: )

The brownies will wait for another day. I may just make them and take them to work (whenever I can actually *get* to work).
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Try living in MN we get snow for 5 months about. But it dose suck when you get a big shot of snow at once tho I have never been snowed in. We Minnesotan can drive thur anything just about. You can make it thur this. spring is comeing and then it will be time to hit the beach also when it is like 110 out you wish for winter to or at least we do in MN. I say throw out the brownie mix and all ofter junk food it just makes it easier. Good luck