BUY a digital FOOD Scale if you don't have one. This is the

kellygirl5538
kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I highly recommend buying a digital scale if you don't have one. I use it all the time and I think it makes a big difference. I had the manual kind before and I really didn't like it. They sell mini coffee filters and I use those to put on top of the scale because my base doesn't come off. After I measure my meat, I cook it separate from my kids if I can, this way there is no way I'm going to cheat. I also eat all my calories and exercise calories so I want to be as accurate as possible.

Good luck to all those who are snowed in!!

Replies

• Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    I keep telling myself I need to get a scale but I keep forgetting. I do measure EVERYTHING. I noticed right away when i started pulling out the measuring cups and spoons that my guesses were distorted. Thank you for the reminder.
  • bump
  • I keep telling myself I need to get a scale but I keep forgetting. I do measure EVERYTHING. I noticed right away when i started pulling out the measuring cups and spoons that my guesses were distorted. Thank you for the reminder.

Absolutely! I had the same problem. My visual measurement was way skewed!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    It's one of the best and most important investments you can make if you are counting calories and trying to lose weight. I dunno where I would be without mine now!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    We bought a scale at Wal-Mart. The scale does grams and ounces. It has a tare function, so that you can use whatever container you need when weighing your food. Also, you can enter in a 3 digit code (found in the users manual) for various food items, and with the touch of a button, you can get nutritional data (cals, fat, protein, sodium, etc...). The scale was not expensive and it has worked like a champ.
  • Which one do you reccomend purchasing? Ive been wanting to get one just not sure where to start to even research it LOL. How much do they run as well?

Thanks
    Michelle
  • IMO there are 2 things you want to look for, that it has oz and grams and also a tare function, I just bought one for 20$ CAD at Atl Superstore
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    I love mine too! My battery has just died and the cost to replace it is the same as the scale its self, I hate that, I wish they made a plug in one. :(
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Mine was really cheap, but its accurate. I j ust put a bowl on top before i turn the power on, then it's at 0 grams to start then pour the item into the bowl. Makes so much difference not having to use guesswork.
  • kellygirl5538
    I just got mine from walmart, nothing fancy. I even use it to weigh my orange juice lol
  • kellygirl5538
    I just got mine from walmart, nothing fancy. I even use it to weigh my orange juice lol
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I love my food scale! I have the Eat Smart scale, bought it from Amazon. It's amazing once you start weighing things how many calorie you are really eating!

Worth every penny spent on the scale for me!
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    I have a cheap-o non-digital one from Target. And I really like it - I'm sure it's not super accurate though. I may have to invest in a digital one after all these accolades! I, too, measure everything - my husband thinks I'm nuts - but he's very fit and athletic and works out a lot and has a very high metabolism -- unlike me! Plus he's a guy so he can eat more!
  • I have one and have been using it all the time to measure everything, hubby looks at me like I'm weird!! :laugh:

But it's a lifleline for portion sizes etc!!

I also recommend getting one if you haven't already!!
  • I only have manual food scales, no idea how accurate they are though (I got them cos they matched my kitchen, typical woman thing!)

I don't weigh things that often but that is because I attend Rosemary Conley classes and we are given portion pots, so I know for example that a portion of pasta is my red portion pot, a portion of special K is my green pot etc. I am amazed how much pasta I used to eat, probably the equivalent of 3 portions.

But if I wasn't following this plan I would definitely invest in some digital scales :)
  • sandra68
    sandra68 Posts: 10 Member
    Fozzy33.. I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond for $20.00 It's the biggest loser one. I am so glad I got it too.. 3oz of meat is more than I thought it was.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Do you guys measure your foods before or after they are cooked? I measure my noodles before cooking them adn then after to see how much that equals.
  • Same question Im am going to go out and purchase one today....like meat...do you weight it before or after you cook it?
This discussion has been closed.