I am cold, all the time

Options
I am cold, all the time. Always have been, ever since we moved from CA when I was two to upstate NY. My body says, "eat more, especially carbs and processed stuff!" but I am trying not to listen to my body this fall. I currently keep the house too warm (high heat bill) and wear long johns, turtlenecks and fleece along with jeans. I don't really want to wear my winter coat in the house. I haven't been exercising much. If I exercise more often, will that help to up my body metabolism so that I will feel warmer? What else should I do? I weigh 145, am looking for 130 or 125.

Anyone else cold all the time? And yes, I do feel warm when I run. And for a few bits after. I am looking to feel warm for most of the day, instead of cold for most of the day.

Replies

• GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    First, make an appointment with your doctor. Thyroid disorders and other health issues may impact your ability to regulate your body temperature. If you get a clean bill of health, pile on the layers. Some people just feel cold all the time--I'm one of them.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am just like you.... and waiting to hear everyone's responses. I am cold, cold, cold almost all the time, and I wear many layers, just as you do.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    I am cold, all the time. Always have been, ever since we moved from CA when I was two to upstate NY. My body says, "eat more, especially carbs and processed stuff!" but I am trying not to listen to my body this fall. I currently keep the house too warm (high heat bill) and wear long johns, turtlenecks and fleece along with jeans. I don't really want to wear my winter coat in the house. I haven't been exercising much. If I exercise more often, will that help to up my body metabolism so that I will feel warmer? What else should I do? I weigh 145, am looking for 130 or 125.

Anyone else cold all the time? And yes, I do feel warm when I run. And for a few bits after. I am looking to feel warm for most of the day, instead of cold for most of the day.

im always freezing, but when i sleep i have cold sweats and sweat really heavy if/when i workout, no idea why, my doc says it has something to do with my hypothyroidsm. its really annoying
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    This is interesting because I'm cold most of the time and very rarely sweat. I have a hyperthyroid disorder.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    I grew up in upstate NY, and now live in VA (have since I was 14) and am always cold, except when outside during the summer. Even now, I'm in an office building, wool skirt, wool blend sweater, and my fingers are like ice.

For me, my thyroid is starting to go out of whack (leaning towards hypo), but I haven't quite crossed the line. I'm definitely in the overweight category, so it's not from having too low body fat.

One idea that has been floated to me is poor blood circulation due to a sedentary lifestyle (with an office job, teaching, and grad school, something had to decrease). I know when I was more active, I was less freezing, but during the winter I was still usually cold.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Do jumping jacks to warm up. I am cold if I sit too long due to a low metabolic rate.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    try using a heater
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Every since I lost weight I freeze. I keep the house between 67-70 I have two little special needs guys who like it a bit warm. We live in WI but I am constantly adding layers, wearing socks, I never needed it before. Not sure if exercise has changed that for me. Just wanted to say I know how u feel. :)
  • avro001
    avro001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I am always cold too, and I dont have any thyroid issues. Perhaps a low metabolic rate but unlikely seeing how often I work out. My advice is to move to a warm country! When I was travelling in super hot countries everyone else was too warm but for once I was just right!
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    How much are you eating? You may need to eat more...
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Do 60 seconds (or more) of jumping jacks when you're cold. See if that helps for an hour or so.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I was cold a lot when i was eating lower cals....I was also incredibly tired.....since upping my cals I am no longer tired or cold.

it may be worth reviewing your cals.....:smile:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I've always ran cold as well, but ever since I lost the weight, I am just freezing all the time.

I didn't have ANY problem losing weight, so I doubt it's my thyroid. I do now have a pretty low BMI (high 18s), so that probably has something to do with it.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will get my thyroid checked. I do live in a warm place - in the summer, where over 100 is not uncommon. Unfortunately, I have to be where my husband has work (because I do love him!)

I will also try the jumping jacks. I just started today doing a lap around the block when I feel cold, which helped some, but it may be too soon to say it has adjusted things overall.

I don't think it has to do with the calories - at least, I feel full all the time. I used to get really tired when the time change happened, but this year that doesn't seem to be happening - I am not sure if my change in diet has helped that, but I am not going to knock it! Yes, I am eating fairly low cal, but I am not tired and I am not hungry. When I eat higher than what I am now, (at least without more exercise) I do gain., so saying to eat more seems like a catch 22.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No thyroid problem here but I find since losing the weight I am cold all the time as well.. No more fat to keep me warm..lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm freezing all the time, but it's because it is winter my office is old and the heating sucks (and they turn it off hours before I leave for the night) and I have an open concept house where it's too expensive to heat it enough. :sad:
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am cold all the time!

I have thyroid and anemia issues though, so maybe that's the problem.

Just layer up!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Do 60 seconds (or more) of jumping jacks when you're cold. See if that helps for an hour or so.

This absolutely works for me and I log it especially if I do more than 5 minutes.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just layer up!

This works well for me, so does a space heater :)
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    First, make an appointment with your doctor. Thyroid disorders and other health issues may impact your ability to regulate your body temperature. If you get a clean bill of health, pile on the layers. Some people just feel cold all the time--I'm one of them.

agreed... this was the first thing that came to mind... Thyroid issues also contribute to weight gain and loss depending on which type you have.