Gymnastics

Options
This may be a long shot, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

In short- I'm a clutz, a complete and utter clutz. As a child I horse rode rather than went to ballet classes, I couldn't dance for toffee, could barely stand on one leg and I have to say, not much has changed fifteen years later. However, what has changed in the past few years is that I've lost weight- I feel more flexible, I love moving and I'd love to be able to do some more of the simple stuff from gymnastics- a handstand, perhaps even a cartwheel or even being able to just walk on a balance beam.

Now, I've looked into gymnastics for the past few weeks, and I've found a club fairly local to me that advertises adult classes. It says they're for all ages/stages but quite honestly the pictures on the website show girls walking around upside down on their hands- so I'm not quite sure how many 'beginners' they would have.

Is it a good idea to even try at my age? I'm twenty two, but have had no experience in this field whatsoever and when I tried to do a handstand a few days ago against a wall my other half refused to help me again because apparently I nearly snapped my neck trying. Is this just a bit of a pipe dream- or should I give it a shot? I don't know the first thing about gymnastics, so I'm not even quite sure what I could even do as a beginner. I'd class myself as fairly fit these days, I run, swim and lift heavy during the week- but whether that means I'd be able to keep up or not is another story.

Has anybody else even attempted gym at an older age? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd call the facility and ask them everything you've asked here. They should be able to give you an idea of how beginner the classes really are.

Is it primarily just floor exercise (tumbling)? Or is it also uneven parallel bars, balance beam and vault? My only caveat is that it is easy to injure yourself - so taking things slowly and having experienced coaches that know what you're ready for is a MUST! It's great for increasing your strength and flexibility, though.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Go for it. It will be great exercise and help with learning balance. Ask if you could attend a trial class to see if it is for you.:happy:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it!
    I haven't attempted gymnastics at an older age (or ever actually) but I am just heading down the path of teaching myself hand balancing and things along those lines. If I had some classes I could attend I definitely would.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure exactly what the classes entail- it states on the website that all sessions start with a group warm up session, followed by structured classes by qualified instructors.

Thanks though guys, I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow! :) I just don't want to turn up and look like an utter fool because I can't do a thing.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I returned to Yoga at the age of 49 after 20 years of relative inactivity. I was stiff jointed and sweating buckets the first month, but I am up there with everyone else three years on. That can be you in your gymnanstics.

There is a world of difference between going into handstand with the help of an experienced classmate or teacher and handstanding against someone who is holding fear that you will hurt yourself. That's where injury is more likely.

Go check out the class, make sure the teacher holds recognised qualifications and go for it.
  • MrsPixelbark
    Options
    I returned to Yoga at the age of 49 after 20 years of relative inactivity. I was stiff jointed and sweating buckets the first month, but I am up there with everyone else three years on. That can be you in your gymnanstics.

There is a world of difference between going into handstand with the help of an experienced classmate or teacher and handstanding against someone who is holding fear that you will hurt yourself. That's where injury is more likely.

Go check out the class, make sure the teacher holds recognised qualifications and go for it.

Thank you very much! I take my hat off to you, I have to say, it's awesome that you've managed to get back onto the ball. :)
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh I just love gymnastics so much! My situation is a little different because I did gymnastics when I was a kid and all through high school, but took a little while off since my college doesn't have a team. Then about a year ago, when I was 19, I started going to an adult class at a gymnastics gym nearby.

There were people of all different skill ranges and all different ages there, and it was so much fun! It was a lot more relaxed than being on a gymnastics team, but it was still an awesome workout! I considered myself to be in pretty good shape when I started the classes, but I was still really sore the next day every time.

I think you should definitely try it! If you can get in a great workout while having tons of fun, why not try it! You will pick up on the skills pretty quick once you get started. Good luck!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    YES! I wish there was something like that where I live. It's such a good workout, and I'm sure there will be plenty of beginners there.
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do it! Seriously.

I did gymnastics as a kid (only until I was 8 or so) and then have come back to it at 23 years old. I love it, wish I'd done it ages ago when I first thought about doing gymnastics again. Its varied and there is always something new to learn and I have definitely seen my strength improve.
    The coaches should help you from what ever stage you are at, and yeah you might not be able to do everything right away but everyone has to start somewhere. You'll find you improve pretty quick as well with these things.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    So Mrs Pixelbark - did you do it?
  • MrsPixelbark
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, I did get hold of them!

The lady on the other end of the phone suggested I popped in for a session as a trial, and we'd see how it went from there. So, fingers crossed, I will be going in for my first session soon. She mentioned there were people of all stages progression wise, and her instructors are always happy to go a wie bit slower with beginners.

I have to say, I'm rather excited about it! I can't start going consistently until after Christmas due to exams, but I'll go soon for a trial, and then if I enjoy it, I'll sign up after Christmas on a weekly basis.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Please do get back when you've been. I feel sure you're going to love it.