Eating enough...why is it so hard?!

Options
I am having the hardest time getting in enough calories! It feels like all I'm doing is eating, and I am still under my net calories by 400 to 600. Does anyone have any suggestions on some foods that are calorie dense, but low in fat? (I've had my gallbladder removed and can not eat high fat foods without some serious pain) I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

• RainxPain
    Options
    Peanut Butter, pasta (with tomato sauce). whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc.

Also, nuts are good. I like Almonds, pistachios, peanuts, and cashews. I find apples, pears, and grapes to be filling and higher calorie than some fruits.

Hope this helps!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary or knowing what you're eating, it's hard to make appropriate suggestions. I'm thinking pasta packs a pretty good calorie punch and if you skip the butter and oil, no fat...

can you eat "healthy fat" foods like nuts or avocados? maybe ask your doctor/nutritionist for suggestions that won't cause gallbladder issues?

Edited to add: I eat a lot of brown rice, like the person above posted--it's also calorie dense and good for you :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Do nuts give you troubles? I had my gallbladder removed too and what give me trouble is more things like fasts food while full fat yogurt, cheese and nuts are not a problem.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Why are you forcing yourself to eat so much if you aren't hungry? As long as you are eating an adequate amount and are feeling fine, don't force yourself to eat all of your exercise calories. BTW if you are going by the calorie burn numbers on MFP, they can be as much as 50% over what you actually burn.
  • RevNS
    RevNS Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Raisins are calorie dense and no fat. It's easy to sneak them in during the day too. Hope that helps!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Healthy carbs as mentioned above, as well as high-cal fruits like bananas. Also, drinking your calories (OJ, skim milk) will probably get you a lot more calories in without filling you up very much.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    beans are high in protein and not really low calorie. You can find some great recipes for roasted chick peas (I buy them already roasted in the grocery store). Great to snack on and hard to stop eating.
  • DesireeBoils
    Options
    I know how you feel, when I first started on this site I would be hungry pretty much all day long, but wouldn't eat because I was afraid I would go over my calories, but at the end of the day I realized I was much much under what I needed to be so I started planning my day out, put in what I was planning on eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner then if I had extra calories left over I could plan out my snacks and after I started planning my day's out I did much better and wasn't so hungry all the time. I hope this helps!
  • Stswife82
    Options
    I can do nuts, and some healthy fats (avocado, ect). Cheese and yogurt is ok in small amounts as well. Most other dairy is a no go. This is the first time I've ever made an effort to keep track of how much I am eating, and making better choices. Now that I'm eating healthier foods I always feel full (which is nice). I just want to make sure I don't mess my body up by eating too little. I guess I am just focusing too much on the numbers?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Twizzlers are fat free!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I don't wanna..

*leaves*
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Mix sugar in water and drink it
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Mix sugar in water and drink it
    The insulin will make you fat, yo.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time getting in enough calories! It feels like all I'm doing is eating, and I am still under my net calories by 400 to 600. Does anyone have any suggestions on some foods that are calorie dense, but low in fat? (I've had my gallbladder removed and can not eat high fat foods without some serious pain) I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

If you are not hungry why would you eat? Seriously. That's how we got fat in the first place, eating when when we didn't need to eat.

Your body is the end game, not the calorie calculator the rules everyone makes up.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on toast and a glass of milk (I drink flavoured soy milk). Seriously, that'll whack a good 400-500 cals on. I don't understand how this is hard?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Vodka shots chased with red bull.

What?
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how this is hard?
    ^^
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for the diabeetus
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about the numbers, eat when you are hungry, dont starve yourself and stop when you are full. Your body has a built in satisfying gland that will tell you when you dont need more
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about the numbers, eat when you are hungry, dont starve yourself and stop when you are full. Your body has a built in satisfying gland that will tell you when you dont need more

And that "built in satisfying gland" has worked so well for so many on MFP, right?