Womens pant sizes are confusing!!

Options
13»

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It sucks and takes longer than necessary. For those complaining about pants fitting hips and not waist, or getting mens pants for length but getting a funny crotch area, tailoring doesn't cost that much. The gap especially is a very cheap fix.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I saw an article just a couple of days ago about vanity sizing - they had women of various sizes measure their waists and their pants. Typically the trousers had waists 2inches bigger than it said on the labels, but the length measurements were correct. The implication being that they weren't measuring wrong (or the lengths would be off) but were deliberately sized bigger. I wish I could find it again to show you.

It makes sense from a retail point of view. No one wants to admit they've drifted up a couple of sizes over the years and if you consistently wear a smaller size in one store, you're likely to go there because it makes you feel good.

I think we should embrace the idea of naming sizes after ice cream flavours, that's awesome. 'At the moment I'm wearing rum-raisin, but I'm hoping to be down to mint-choc-chip by Christmas'.
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Gets even harder when your waist/hip measurements are not "average" ratios. size 8 waist with a size 14+ hip means no pants ever fit and if they do, they don't look good.

you too, huh?

i got the badunka going on and when i find a pair of pants that fit my hips, i get the gap at my lower back. i'm about to give up on denim. i look like plumber tom every time i bend over. no thanks, lol.

Only jeans I foudn that fit right now are the old navy "rockstars" which are skinny jeans. Size 12 is a little large for me right now but the 10's are still a bit too tight to wear unless I'm having a really good day, lol
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Gets even harder when your waist/hip measurements are not "average" ratios. size 8 waist with a size 14+ hip means no pants ever fit and if they do, they don't look good.

you too, huh?

i got the badunka going on and when i find a pair of pants that fit my hips, i get the gap at my lower back. i'm about to give up on denim. i look like plumber tom every time i bend over. no thanks, lol.

lol omg me too, its so frustrating, and every time i DO find a pair that actually fit I wear them so often they die within a couple of months :P

Same here, I always lose the color in the thigh area of dark wash, and then the holes start to come :(
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    What makes it even more fun, is the continuously changing styles/ and sizing within specific brands. Once i find a pair of pants that I'm happy with, I tend to buy several more in that style, so that I don't have to go shopping again for a while. Then once of those wears out I try to buy the same cut only to find out that brands no longer makes it specifically.

In general though I always have between sizes, so part of an item of clothes fit me and other parts don't. I've made some clothes by patterns and have found that if I go by the measurements they provide, I am over 4 sizes larger than I normally wear. If I then make the pattern to the measuremnts and the larger size, the clothes are swimming on me and look frumpy and just bad all around. Apparently my body doesn't match patterns either.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    this reminds me of my senior prom. I ordered a dress online and measured EVERY part of my body so I got the right size... I ended up having to get in taken in three sizes. I don't trust those charts anymore.

Amazing.. Vanity sizing can and will really hurt the online industry.

My mall has one of these machines that you step into and it tells you your size at various stores, anyone ever seen this thing? I always wanted to try it but there's always an attendant outside of it and a) i don't want them standing there seeing and scrutinizing my size and b) they are always very eager to get me to try it which makes me think there is something they want to peddle.

EDIT: to add onto what others have said, I think it would be awesome if a store would ditch the numbers and rename their sizes something crazy like "fabulous, smokin hot, etc" or "watermelon, peach,etc"
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add to this and register my complaint that underwear doesn't match pants size either. I'm a size 10 in pants, but I wear a size 6 in underwear.
    WTF!?!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Women's pant sizes are completely jacked and made up by Satan. It's a fact.

Last time I tried on pants - walked into Macy's wearing size 14. They were having a 2 for 1 sale on the brand I was wearing. Picked out about 6 pairs of that same brand size 14. One fit perfect - remember it was a 2 for 1 sale - needed TWO to fit - went home empty handed because the rest didn't fit at all.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It sucks and takes longer than necessary. For those complaining about pants fitting hips and not waist, or getting mens pants for length but getting a funny crotch area, tailoring doesn't cost that much. The gap especially is a very cheap fix.

I agree. It's very common. Even though I wear a 00, there is still an 11 inch difference between my waist and hips because of my behind, so it gaps out at the waist (I have a very small waist). So, I get my pants tailored. They can take it in at the back of the waist.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    http://sizes.darkgreener.com

This site takes your actual measurements and then tells you what size you fit in various brands. Some of you may find it useful?
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

This site takes your actual measurements and then tells you what size you fit in various brands. Some of you may find it useful?

Interesting...this site has me mostly in a 12 and some 10s, but I have been wearing an 8! I really only shop at two stores for pants Old Navy and New York and Company (because they carry talls and are affordable) and I'm pretty sure they are both guilty of vanity sizing!!!
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Very helpful, thanks!
  • VelvetAcidVixen
    Options
    That's because it's complete BS. ;-) I have bottoms ranging in size from 4-9. Rely on your measurements to track your size, not the number on your pants then buy what fits. I can wear a 9 one day and the next day wear a 4 and I'm no smaller. So it really doesn't matter when you think of it that way.
  • beelee888
    beelee888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and I have a 32-33 inch bust, a 25 inch waist and 39 inch hips and weigh about 120 pounds.According to size charts I should be a size 10 or 12 or something in pants, but I wear a size 2 in most places that fit me absolutely perfectly. It's weird because old clothes and new clothes in a size 2 all fit me (most of the time) but My sister gave me some of her old pants too, and one is a pair of black Gap slacks that are a size 1 and they fit perfectly but another style that she gave me still from The Gap that were a size 2 were actually too small on me. So I was like wtf lol? Also i have an old pair of Abercrombie and Fitch jeans that are a size 00 and when I weighed 110 they fit me perfectly, yet at 110 size 1 pants in Hollister were almost too snug on me. Now I weigh 120 and wear a size 3 in Hollister. Also in VS PINK bottoms I wear an XS like in all of their shorts and sweat pants and yoga pants.. Soooo I'm confused lot lol... Because size charts say I should be a 10/12 but I'm never bigger than a 3.. Btw a size 2 in Abercrombie has the same measurements as a size 3 in Hollister.. One just does even numbers and the other does odd numbers.. Oh and in dresses I wear an XS, a S, a 0, or a 2...and at Forever21 I wear a size 25 (a size 1) in bottoms or an XS... But size charts tell me I'm a size 10/12.... So yeah... Don't let size charts define you. They don't mean ****.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We might just as well be labeling our clothes with ice cream flavors, for as meaningful as the numbered sizing system is.

LOL Love this
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm at a loss too.

I'm at 140# & 5 ' tall.
    I tried on jeans last week & found that I fit into 7's, 8's, 9's 10's, 11's AND a couple of 12's very loosely.

I haven't decided which size I should wear yet so I left the store with nothing. Some cut into my still considerable tummy, while others fit my proportions well. The cut was more important than the size, as in whether they allowed for curves or were more linear.
    ::Shrugs::