Need help

Options
My husband is way over weight he is 300 lbs and we are going to make diet changes. What are good staple foods and snacks to have in the house?? and should I hide the "bad stuff" we have two young kids that need extra calories.

Replies

• ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    what has worked for me-- dont fry anything. i only season with ms. dash. dont drink any calories. plain oatmeal and plain low calorie cereal with a packet of no calorie sweetener. if you have to have soda drink diet but the diets have sodium in them. drink a lot of water. i dont eat pork any more cuz of sodium, eat beef rarely. boiled eggs are good for a snack and almonds. i switched to almond milk. try to lower sodium intake and drink water. i hope that helps! good luck!
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks I know it will be easier for me than him. Lol we are going to try to cut out bread and most pasta and add more veggies. I just don't know many healthy snacks other than what I make for my kids.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    Stop buying 'BAD STUFF'. You and your family don't need it. If you need to, start slow. It will be easier to get your kids into healthy eating habits NOW, rather than waiting for a problem. I hope I'm being blunt, not mean.
    I have a coworker (obese) who brought her OBESE 8 year old to work this week. In a single sitting, the 8 year old ate an entire bag of sugar cookies. I checked the (empty) bag later. It had a dozen or so servings, at 130 calories each. It worked out to over 1400 calories. I wanted to gag. A little kid eating more calories as PART of her after school snack, than I do all day.
    I wish you and your family the best of luck in finding healthy choices as we approach the new year! :wink:
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Your kids may need extra calories but they should come from healthy foods not junk.

You can all snack on fruit, yogurt, popcorn, cheese, meat, nuts etc.
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I really like beef jerky and light string cheese as a snack. Tons of protein and yummy too! :)
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    should I hide the "bad stuff" we have two young kids that need extra calories.

You should be giving your kiddos the extra calories in healthy snacks like nuts, fruits etc....
  • Jes_ika
    Options
    Ok I did not mean That I give my kids junk food but they do eat food that I or my husband shouldn't eat. So in my eyes it "bad stuff". And excuse me if I let my kids have a cookie every once in a while. I think it funny how I asked for ideas and the main thing was how I feed my kids junk food.. LMAO
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Ok I did not mean That I give my kids junk food but they do eat food that I or my husband shouldn't eat. So in my eyes it "bad stuff". And excuse me if I let my kids have a cookie every once in a while. I think it funny how I asked for ideas and the main thing was how I feed my kids junk food.. LMAO

What food do they eat that you can't? We all eat the same, my kids are 2, 7 and 10 and certainly aren't deprived of 'the odd biscuit' but then again neither am I.

I personally wasn't leaping on you about that, just don't see the need to do different food or hide stuff.
  • Jes_ika
    Options
    It is more that my husband shouldn't eat stuff like mac&cheese, breaded chicken, most bread(even though I buy whole wheat) , pasta, homemade fries, I am a person who cooks from scratch not just cooks out of a box or eat fast food. I control my portions but he has problems with it and I am trying to help him with that. My kids have a problem putting on weight, me and my husband don't.
  • Jes_ika
    Options

What food do they eat that you can't? We all eat the same, my kids are 2, 7 and 10 and certainly aren't deprived of 'the odd biscuit' but then again neither am I.

I personally wasn't leaping on you about that, just don't see the need to do different food or hide stuff.

I just thought it was funny how everyone went straight to what I feed my kids. Oh and I didnt mention above that I also have to help with what my husband eats cause he is on his way to be a borderline diabetic.