The Scary Scale

Options
I weighed myself 11/17 at 165 (analog scale w/o shoes fully clothed). I stared MFP 11/15. I weighed myself at the Y yesterday and it came in at 164 (analog like at DR office w/shoes fully clothed). Is that possible to have lost already?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Water weight can come off quickly. I lost five pounds my first week of logging. My second weigh in is tommorow - I'm expecting the scales will have slowed drastically.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you weighed yourself on two different scales, I'd take the readings with a grain of salt. For consistency's sake it's best to weigh on the same scale at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes (or lack thereof). If you read through past threads on this subject (of which there are many), a lot of people prefer to weigh first thing in the morning, unclothed, immediately after using the bathroom - it pretty much eliminates as many variables as possible.

It's certainly possible that you've lost weight already - as quirkytizzy said, water weight can come off quickly. Some people experience dramatic losses in the first week or two (my scale showed an 8-pound loss in the first week), while others take longer.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned, it is probably water weight.
  • ashmorgstraws
    Options
    I weighed myself 11/17 at 165 (analog scale w/o shoes fully clothed). I stared MFP 11/15. I weighed myself at the Y yesterday and it came in at 164 (analog like at DR office w/shoes fully clothed). Is that possible to have lost already?

My first week of logging - actually my first 2-3 weeks - I lost 4-5 lbs between weigh-ins (every Friday). It comes off faster at first.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight, it could be what your shoes weighed - could be lots of things.

I weigh in on Monday's at Weight Watchers, and this week I went to my bariatrician's office on Wednesday, and their scale had me down 2 pounds from Monday's WW weight. Part of that was due to my shoes not being on. BUT, I'm sticking with Monday's number. That's my weigh-in scale. Oh - and my allergist's scale is really flaky. If you exhale, it'll drop 10 pounds off of you. That's why it's important to stick with the same scale for your weigh in's.

Pick one scale to be your "weigh in scale" - it's okay to jump on other's scales once in a while, but for tracking purposes, use the same scale to be consistant. Oh - and my allergist's scale is really flaky. If you exhale, it'll drop 10 pounds off of you. That's why it's important to stick with the same scale for your weigh in's.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but you shouldn't be worrying about it this soon. This is a lifelong process and I put emphasis on the LONG in that word. :wink:
    There are going to be period of gains and losses and you are going to second guess the hell out of yourself until you have put in enough time to be able to look back and realize weight comes off when it wants to come off. You may lose 2 or 3 pounds a week then go a month or more without losing, but eventually it will come off if you just keep doing the right things.
    That being said, I know it can be exciting to see the scale go down, especially when you are first starting, so I will tell you "congratulations"!
    Let me leave you with one more thing. Start right now measuring progress in other ways. Take pictures and measurements, weekly or monthly or whatever you want. Trust me, when you hit those times that the scales won't budge, these things often tell a different story.
    *hops off soap box*
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    im not worried, just curious. :happy:

I re-weighed myself (on Y scale) w/o shoes and it came in at 161. I cant weigh myself on the same scale as 11/17 because that was at a friends house and so from now on ill have the Y scale to weigh in on and it should show consistancy.

I do know the friends scale was right though- i was 165 and have been for a long time. The Y scale may or may not be right but i guess well see next week if theres more down or some up. ;)