an aussie christmas

sarahslim100
sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
Just wondering what other australians are doing for christmas this year. Im trying to remember how to make the prawn mango and lettuce salad....

Replies

• We've never gone in for the whole 'Aussie Christmas' thing, we go traditional :)

We'll be having lamb, turkey, a 'three bird roast' from Aldi (duck wrapped in turkey wrapped in chicken I think), roast vegetables and gravy then for dessert pudding and/or the most decadent chocolate mousse you can imagine (lots of cream, egg whites, dark chocolate...) which Mum only makes at Christmas. Can't wait :D

Definitely no way I'm even going to consider counting calories that day, Christmas only comes around once a year!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    I agree. Its the one day of the year i wont be counting either. Sounds like a great xmas dinner!
    entree is often the biggest part. Then We have prawns ham cold turkey, lots of salads. Then tiramasu and other cream-laden desserts. I usually skip brekkie!
  • We don't have an entree, which is lucky really, I'm usually absolutely stuffed by the end of the meal! I love Christmas, it's my favourite time of year, I just love the atmosphere and finding presents for everyone and baking puddings/cakes/etc with my Mum, lots of fun :)
  • NZblue
    NZblue Posts: 147 Member
    Not that I'm a fan of it, but we're making the Kiwi pavlova. ;)

xox

P.S. (I HAAAATE pav.)

P.P.S. (We have other stuff! I'm just being a bit cheeky here!)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    I have a brunch and then a dinner in the late-middle of the afternoon (that way just two big meals)
    Plus nibblies like fruit mince pies / chocolate / nuts / Christmas cake etc all day

Brunch is usually
    a fruit platter with lots of different fruit
    fruit juice cocktails eg Pineapple juice / Old Stoney ginger beer / mint - an old favourite; cranberry fizz
    croissants
    cream cheese
    preserves
    bacon
    eggs
    brushetta

Dinner (we have four vegetarians so I have a mix)
    Mushroom pate & crackers
    Turkey
    Nut roast
    roast vegies - or if it's hot - salads
    Cranberry sauce, gravy etc

Dessert
    Milo gingernut log - gingernut biscuits smothered and layered with cream mixed with milo, sprinkle milo on top - haven't done this one before.
    pavlova with cream, fruit etc
    cheesecake (tempted to do Nigella's peanut paste & chocolate one - 700+ cals a slice tho!!)
    no one here really likes traditional Christmas pud, unless I make frozen Christmas pudding - icecream, softened, mix in boozy dried fruit, chopped marshmallows, pour into chocolate crumb crust bowl - freeze.

ETA tiramisu - mmm might add that to the list!

No calorie counting allowed :laugh:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    We have lots of seafood, cold turkey, ham and yummy salads. Couldn't be bothered with all the hot traditional food.
  • Milo gingernut log - gingernut biscuits smothered and layered with cream mixed with milo, sprinkle milo on top - haven't done this one before.

We did that one a few years ago as a birthday cake, it was nice :) Whenever we do a chocolate ripple cake or variation thereof like that one, we always dip one side of the biscuits in some sort of booze before the cream lawyer just to give it a bit extra taste. I think for that one we used a non-alcoholic ginger cordial though, can't remember the recipe exactly
    cheesecake (tempted to do Nigella's peanut paste & chocolate one - 700+ cals a slice tho!!)

700+ cals a slice, phwoar...
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    @Aeuitas503 thanks for the tip about dipping the bikkies :smile:
  • Because it's just me, my mum and my dad for Christmas, we always just have each of our own favourite foods.
    Like when I was younger I'd have chicken nuggets while my parents would do something else haha.

Past few years we normally just do things like olives, sundried tomatoes, nice breads, cheeses, salads etc with the best champagne we can find! Although being fair, this is our dinner every Friday anyway haha (minus the champers!) so it's nothing particularly special!

xo
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    We always do a prawn cocktail for entree, and then a Webber (Usually Beef and Turkey) with roast veg and salads for lunch. Followed by a Pavlova, trifle and Xmas pudding :)

Once the kids wake up, we do the presents and then head down the beach for an hour or so, then go for lunch :) Great day!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    We have a pasta first course (manicotti this year - thin egg crepes wrapped around a blend of cheeses and covered with homemade pasta sauce and baked in the oven).

Mains will be a mix of traditional with an Aussie twist - I usually do some sort of turkey, veal cutlets, drunken chicken (this chicken is marinated in fresh herb, cracked black pepper and sweet white wine for 2 days then roasted), prawns, maple and marmalade glazed ham, and a rolled stuffed roast (usually lamb and pistachio). Salads - vinegared bean, potato salad Sicillian style, roast sweet potato and basil, green salad, cold pasta salad.

Desserts are usually black cherry cheesecake, pavlova with strawberries and kiwi fruit, lemon meringue pie and some sort of mousse/gelatin and fruit/or baked custard.

Drinks: cocktail of the day - raspberry fizzes this year, red wine, white wine, pink champagne (Nonna loves this), beer.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    We have a pasta first course (manicotti this year - thin egg crepes wrapped around a blend of cheeses and covered with homemade pasta sauce and baked in the oven).

Mains will be a mix of traditional with an Aussie twist - I usually do some sort of turkey, veal cutlets, drunken chicken (this chicken is marinated in fresh herb, cracked black pepper and sweet white wine for 2 days then roasted), prawns, maple and marmalade glazed ham, and a rolled stuffed roast (usually lamb and pistachio). Salads - vinegared bean, potato salad Sicillian style, roast sweet potato and basil, green salad, cold pasta salad.

Desserts are usually black cherry cheesecake, pavlova with strawberries and kiwi fruit, lemon meringue pie and some sort of mousse/gelatin and fruit/or baked custard.

Drinks: cocktail of the day - raspberry fizzes this year, red wine, white wine, pink champagne (Nonna loves this), beer.

What time should I be there? :noway:
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member

What time should I be there? :noway:

whenever you like :)