No exercise - Absolute beginner

Options
I'm on my way to a better lifestyle by changing what I eat. I've lost 12lbs so far.

But I am ashamed to admit that I do very little exercise. I work, I have a toddler and find that i have no time to go to the gym (no desire either) The spare time I do have I want to spend with family and friends.

So I'm looking for some exercise ideas for an absolute beginner. Should I get a workout dvd, if so which one ? What can I do around the house etc. When the weather gets better I can take my son for walks in the park etc but it's miserable in Scotland just now so that's not an option.

Would be grateful of any ideas. Thanks x

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs? Step-up with right foot and bring left foot up and plant it, then go down starting with right foot. Repeat 100 times and then lead with the left foot. (Beginning step aerobics). March in place, dance jump up and down, push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks.....I hope this gives you some ideas.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you are serious, I will give you some tips!

I started out from home with no equipment. I used the 6inch step in the back room to do aeorbic step movements. Easy. step up up step down down. If you have stairs in your home, even better.

Now that I am more fit, I put my kitchen chair up against the counter for support and do my step us on there!!

Dance! Put your earphones in whilst baby sleeps and jam to your favs! I use an HRM to monitor calories burned and 30 minutes of dance was the same as a 1 mile walk!

You can do push ups and squats and jumping jacks ANYWHERE ...............ANYTIME!!

Start out on the wall for push ups! Yep, no on says you have to do them on the floor! Lean on the wall and push out, there is one rep! I worked my way to the floor doing this.

There are so many things you can do at home. Just MAKE time for mommy...........you are every bit as important as the kiddo!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I bought Richard Simmons videos. LOL I'm almost ashamed to admit it but they are easy enough for a beginner and are actually quite fun. I do them 30 minutes/ 3 times a week.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Do you have stairs? Step-up with right foot and bring left foot up and plant it, then go down starting with right foot. Repeat 100 times and then lead with the left foot. (Beginning step aerobics). March in place, dance jump up and down, push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks.....I hope this gives you some ideas.

:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

:drinker: we were typing at the same time :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I bought Richard Simmons videos. LOL I'm almost ashamed to admit it but they are easy enough for a beginner and are actually quite fun. I do them 30 minutes/ 3 times a week.

Richard has GREAT vids!! Very high energy.

Also Leslie Sansome Walk Fit. Very simple, and you can pick up to your own pace. Not boring and pretty good music. I love Leslie!
  • leannemr
    Options
    Hi there. Well done on your 12lbs loss!

Exercise is so key to weight loss and toning up as you lose but as a full time worker myself I totally undertsand your lack of time. If you work in an office environment try taking the stairs rather than lifts and get up from your desk every hour or so and walk around, even if its just for a few minutes. Home DVDs are pretty good. I find the Davina range excellent. Have you got a Wii? The Wii Fit is quite good for a beginner as you can do strength training as well as cardio. Resistance bands are also good for toning and can be used at home whilst in the middle of other things - i.e waiting for the dinner to cook!

Hope you find something you can do but remember to take it gradually and build up.

good luck.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Those are all good tips. There are also free work-outs on Spark People
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_videos.asp;
    They are about 10 minutes long and suitable for beginners. And you can include your son in your exercise program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOU9CuVNfL0
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred. It's only 20 minutes but it's a complete workout.
  • annieray1999
    Options
    Yes if u have a dvd player...get the 30 day shred by Jillian Micheals. It will kick your butt and it only takes 20 minutes. There are other dvd's that take less time than that. But fit what u can it when u can. The key it to move move move. So anything u do more than what u r doing now will help. Lay on the floor with your baby above you and lift the baby up and down. It is kind of like lifting weights. She'll love it and you will get a bit of exercise in at the same time...all while your 2 r spending time together.

Good luck!!
  • routsongk
    routsongk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Six months ago, I was you and asking myself the same thing. I started out with the 1-mile Walk Away the Pounds DVD. It takes about 15 minutes to complete. I liked it because I could adjust the intensity to my ability. Mine came in a set with the 1, 2, and 3 mile workouts, so over the course of a few weeks, I was able to increase my stamina and move on to the other DVDs. Now I'm doing all sorts of things! Just start slow and build up. Don't get discouraged.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My wife used our daughters as her weights/workout partner. Pick them up, put them down. Spin them, lift them, dance holding them, chase them... They had so much fun and she always got a great workout. Shame that now they are too big for that, but it works wonders if they are small enough. Anything you can do that brings your HR up and keeps it there is exercise, so doing your hose cleaning more vigorusly, gardening, walking faster, etc will all be good starts. Just start slowly, finds things you like and can stick into your already busy day, and you'll find you're making progress. If you make it too hard, or it's too stressful to fit into your day, then you'll become fustrated and give it up. Good luck finding a good balance.
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You've given me a few good ideas.:happy:

I definitely bounce around with my son lots as he loves being lifted , swinging around, playing horsey on my legs etc. So will endeavour to do more of that.

He is just starting to get into music and likes to dance (or jump up and down but he thinks he's dancing) so will be doing more of that too.

As for workout dvd's. I'm going to log onto Amazon and take a look. The ones you have suggested sound good.

I think my problem is that I feel like I can't do so many things and that discourages me from doing them. But you're right if I start slowly and work my way up..... I'm in this for the long haul so I need to start somewhere. Thanks again.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    oooooh I forgot!! I also used Netflix to order dvds. then you are not stuck with just one.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    oooooh I forgot!! I also used Netflix to order dvds. then you are not stuck with just one.

netflix is a great idea! i can't believe i never thought of that. :)
  • Marigold1
    Options
    CONGRATS on losing 12lbs!! I am officially starting a work out routine today. Im using the Beachbody 10 minute trainer dvd! My sister uses it and she loves it! It includes 5 workouts, total body, lower body, abs, cardio, and yoga flex. Each workout is 10 minutes long but they are good workouts! you can choose the workout you want or workouts, you can do more than one to get 10, 20, 30 minutes of working out and so on. I do have a question for everyone though!! What is the safe amnt of time one is supposed to workout? how many minutes a day and how many days a week?? If anyone could give me an idea it would really help me wth my workout schedule!! THANKS! and Goodluck to you all! =)