Daily dengerous foods :(

i have some questions with my nutrition that need answers and i really need help no one is helping me :(

the first question is:

Q - what does the sodium do to our body, is it healthy or not, bad at high intake or what ?

question two:

Q - i buy frozen boneless chicken breast bag from the grocery store when i read the ingredients it list (chicken breast, salt, water, and sodium tripolyphosphate ) what is all of this is the salt in the bag bad or what do i need to put sea salt while cooking this or what , should i find another chicken breasts?

the last question:

Q - i've been seasoning my food every time i cook but i use (Morton Seasoning Blend, Nature's Seasons) and it contains 16% of sodium per 1/4 tsp so is that bad or what ? i keep dressing the chicken i'm going to grill with that and grill it is that unhealthy, also sometimes i use paprika seasoning but if the seasonings i use are bad can you tell me a way how to pick up seasonings ? and thanks.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Sodium, or salt, has a number of negative effects on the body.

It can cause you to hang on to water, so if you're weighing yourself and you've had a lot of sodium, then it's not a true weight.

Longer term, too much salt is bad for your heart and arterie/ blood, and can lead to strokes or heart problems. So there are governement guidellines as to a healthy daily limit. If you track your sodium on My Fitness Pal you'll be able to see if you consume a lot or not. The big culprit is processed foods, including - as you've dicovered - frozen chicken breasts. Salt is a preservative so it's found in many frozen items.

Can you buy fresh chicken breasts? If you are not going to cook them straight away you could freeze then yourself?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Sodium can cause you to retain water and can contribute to higher blood pressure.

the sodium in the frozen chicken is used as a preservative. Adding extra salt is not needed in my opinion.

Using fresh or dried herbs as seasoning is a healthier, and probably tastier option. Rosemary, thyme, dill, etc would be good for chicken...
  • netgifted
    netgifted Posts: 2 Member
    Salt with moderation is OK the problem is that you are buying processed food with artificial salt and not SEA salt. I would buy fresh chicken breasts instead and seasoned it myself with sea salt, lemon and paprika. Costco has a realy nice powder seasoning with pepper and lemon.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    A saline solution (salt and water) is injected into chicken breasts to make them appear plumper and so they weigh more, it's a known trick of the trade.......go for better quality brands or fresh of you can.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I have found little evidence to back up salt being bad for people that don't already have other issues - as my blood pressure is good, I generally just ignore it.
  • What about the salt in the seasoning i already use, is it bad or it's ok to keep seasoning my food with that ?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt/lower-sodium-and-salt/index.html

Salt Basics

The human body requires only a very small amount of sodium since it is exquisitely effective in conserving whatever is in our body. The transmission of nerve impulses and the contraction of muscle fibers depend on sodium. Along with potassium, it is essential for maintaining a proper fluid balance in and around cells. It takes very little sodium to accomplish these tasks. The Yanomamo people, who inhabit the Amazon forests, take in just 200 milligrams of sodium a day (one-tenth a teaspoon of salt) while the average American gets 3,400 milligrams (about 1½ teaspoons of salt). Before the 1970s, the residents of northern Japan took in a whopping 10,300 milligrams (4½ teaspoons of salt) a day (3); public health efforts have managed to bring that down considerably. (4) Consuming such a low sodium diet protects the Yanomamo from hypertension, which is virtually absent in their society.

The body has an intricate system of checks and balances to maintain a steady amount of sodium in the fluid that bathes cells and in the bloodstream, regardless of intake. When sodium levels fall, or the mineral is in short supply, the kidneys and sweat glands hold onto water. This keeps sodium from leaving the body. The opposite happens when you take in more sodium than you need—the kidneys flush out the excess by making more urine, or making it saltier.

In most people, the kidneys have trouble keeping up with the excess sodium in the bloodstream. As it begins to accumulate, the body responds by holding onto water to dilute the sodium. This increases both the amount of fluid surrounding cells and the volume of blood in the bloodstream. That means more work for the heart and more pressure on blood vessels. Over time, the extra work and pressure can stiffen blood vessels, leading to high blood pressure, heart attack, or stroke. It can also lead to heart failure. There is also some evidence that too much salt can damage the heart, aorta, and kidneys without increasing blood pressure, and that it may be bad for bones, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    What about the salt in the seasoning i already use, is it bad or it's ok to keep seasoning my food with that ?

It's okay to use it, just don't go crazy with it. Track it and try not to go over the daily recommendation. Try seasoning your food with some of the no salt seasoning blends like Mrs. Dash, fresh herbs and peppers. If you are use to a high salt diet it can be hard to do without it. Reduce it gradually to give your taste time to adjust.