Mental midget

Options
I am a travel sized Italian which of course means I eat alot and have a fiesty attitude :smile: I have been on dozens of discussion forums but never a fitness one. I am a proud veteran of the United States Army Reserve as well as a third-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do so needless to say I have always been fit. A year ago I had the pleasure :grumble: of breaking my left pinky toe and found myself becoming a pidget (pudgy midget). Since excersize is being stifled on me until lefty heals completely (January woot woot) I have been engulfed in the wonderful world of dieting (eyesroll). Which I must say isn't all too bad since I love veggys and fruit and water any how ...but...sigh....Godiva chocolate and I had to end our love affair for awhile :sad: sadly I think I made up an intro thread before but of course can't find it (me and electronics get along like a cat on crystal meth). So thats me in a nutshell :tongue:

Replies

• 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I clicked on your post as I could well be described as a 'Mental Midget'. My partner has had an operation and can't use one leg at the moment, do you have any tips for exercising whilst injured?
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    Wel well well, welcome to mfp website :drinker: I don't see you parting ways with chocolate but there's far worse and un healthier things out there :tongue:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp. I like your intro. I am on exercise restrictions due to multiple abdominal and sternal surgeries, so my arms are really weak. I can only be on my legs for short periods of time, so I am having to do this through watching what I eat. You can do it really. Feel free to add me.
  • Unodragone
    Options
    @8goodgirl10 ugh a whole leg immobile must be awful :cry: I recommend applying ankle weights to her arms and having her do circular tight windmill circles, I did 3 sets of fifteen twice a day of those. I am not sure if this is possible since I only busted my foot and with a leg we are discussing a larger area but she can try lying on her side and applying the ankle weights to her good leg and do leg raises, maybe the same 3 sets of 15 to start and oscillate to the bad leg without weights of course if it is not too painful. I hoisted my feet onto the couch to do sit ups but I imagine her leg is straight out so that may prove difficult but if you can get your hands on a heavy ball such as a weight ball you can sit across from each other and toss it back and forth alternating catching it on the side of you to work abdominal muscles. I also recommend (sounds silly) sitting on the couch or ground, put on some good music and just moving (dancing in a sitting position) to the music. It is not much but any movement is good and you'd be surprised the sweat you can break out only gyrating your upper torso as well as uplifting her spirit :happy: @smoky19 you can apply the weights and windmills as well but I think dieting will probably be your best bet so you do not injure yourself further =/ I became in love with smart pop popcorn as a treat because even though the bag is small I feel like I am eating a good amount. I always looked for food that was low calorie but a lot of it since I am an eater lol cucumbers are low calorie and if you toss some lime and salt it taste pretty good and is less calories than dressing. I had breakfast as my big meal since I found it filled me up for an extended time period so I didn't have the craving for munchies as quickly being the food pig I am. Cambells has a good low calorie soup line that is awesome and believe it or not filling. Stay away from muilti grain tortilla chips, you can never have just the amount indicated :grumble: try Special K thin chips, you get 30 for I believe 110 calories and the salt and vinegar ones are awesome :bigsmile: if youare a coffee drinker like me and haven't already switch to skim milk, it takes a little getting use to is a lot less calories. Also, Baileys has this awesome non-alcoholic creamer that the fat free ones are only 25 calories a tablespoon I believe and they taste damn good :happy: as a snack I recommend highly good quality veggies chips, the kind that looks like they murdered a whole bunch of vegetables and left them out to dry. They are very tasty, low calorie and healthy too. Be wary of too many visitors, they tend to bring bad food :grumble: advise your minions to bring video games or movies instead to get your mind of being hungry and stuck :smile:
  • twinsmumbeccy
    twinsmumbeccy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a pudget -due to my excess weight I'm struggling to exercise effectively I have clicking joints and a bad knee.

However last week I gave Aqua Running a try - I cant run on a treadmill whereas in the water it is none weight bearing. Take a look at www.tnar.co.uk

Terry has developed a suit that wheelchair bound people can wear and exercise in, I was able to do a full 45 minute class and feel invigorated and refreshed - every other class I try leaves me sore for a full week! He did a lot of his development in the US so I'm sure there will be something very similar over there xx
  • 8goodgirl0
    Options
    That's great, thank for the advice xxx
  • Unodragone
    Options
    twinsmumbeccy I always hear a lot of awesome benefits to water excersizes :happy: I have noticed and I am sure others have that after being in the water you get pretty hungry, have any tips on what to munch on afterwards or snacks you bring?
  • 8goodgirl0
    Options
    I've been having rice cakes with salsa and cottage cheese. They're pretty satisfying
  • Unodragone
    Options
    rice cakes and salsa....you just might have become my new favorite snack minion!! :happy:
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I broke my big toe in April but it didn't impact my exercise as I didn't do any!

Seems fine now - just the odd twinge but I am doing Zumba twice a week without any real pain.

Welcome!! Must be frustrating to be restricted but you will get there!
  • Unodragone
    Options
    @plaingirly I secretly hate you :tongue: usually with me the worse case scenario has a field day with my happy *kitten* :grumble: but I am actually kinda glad it happened (prays, crosses paws, lights candles.. do not take that as a sign to re-injury this midget God!!) because it forced me to be healthy and active again :happy:
  • plaingirly
    Options
    :tongue: I am the clumsiest person ever - broke my toe falling down the stairs! Bumped my head and sprained both ankles at the same time. :blushing:

I am just waiting until I am old so I can say that I feel the weather changes in my toe. My toe says to expect rain ...

I guess you can see what you are missing! Gives you a chance to appreciate exercise - :laugh: I never used to do any apart from walking to work.

On a New Me Plan now!!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am a travel sized Italian which of course means I eat alot and have a fiesty attitude :smile:

Travel sized.. hehe. I like that.
  • Unodragone
    Options
    :tongue: I am the clumsiest person ever - broke my toe falling down the stairs! Bumped my head and sprained both ankles at the same time. :blushing:

I am just waiting until I am old so I can say that I feel the weather changes in my toe. My toe says to expect rain ...

I guess you can see what you are missing! Gives you a chance to appreciate exercise - :laugh: I never used to do any apart from walking to work.

On a New Me Plan now!!

I broke my toe walking down stairs :noway: you my friend are talented :bigsmile: everyone says lefty will be a barometer some day in which case I will develope a weather app and charge people muhahahaha
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    While I have definately been described as mental, and a fun sized. Mainly I just like your tude...welcome. Please feel free to friend me since I think you will be a lot of fun. :smokin:
  • Unodragone
    Options
    While I have definately been described as mental, and a fun sized. Mainly I just like your tude...welcome. Please feel free to friend me since I think you will be a lot of fun. :smokin:

lol just don't let them call you teacup human thats the worst!! :laugh: