Tempted to not weigh this month.

Options
OK, I weigh myself every day. i don't log it everyday, but it's part of my morning routine. I like to know what my body is doing. I'm actually considering NOT weighing myself for the month of December. Nothing to do with the christmas weight gain or anything like that. I have 10lbs to lose by 31st December. And while I enjoying weighing everyday and seeing the fluctuation, I'm thinking I might just focus on my calories and not the scales or measuring tape. It'll be sad to see a gap in my graph though :(.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Replies

• Kathe2
    Kathe2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The scale sends you little warning signals, so I think it would be very difficult to stop the daily weighing.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    That is a slight concern. Maybe just a weekly one?
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I weigh rarely. Once a month. I KNOW exactly when I am on the right track and not. No scale needed. And then I get on it that one time and I've lost 11 pounds. And then I do the mad happy dance.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want. I haven't weighed myself since September (well, they made me step on the scale when I went to the Dr. last week but other than that...). The scale doesn't tell me all that much. How easy or difficult my lifts are and how fast I can run are better indicators for me.
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The thing about daily weigh-ins is that daily fluctuation can be misleading (water weight, etc...) I know that I weigh myself once every 2-3 days, occasionally going as long as a week. It's often enough to moniter my weight without making me super stressed out or obsessive about my weight.
  • mslynn1007
    Options
    I'm thinking about only weighing in once a month, only because I get discouraged easily :-/
  • Kathe2
    Kathe2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, you might have lost 11 lbs after a month, but you might NOT. Weigh yourself at least once per week to be on the safe side.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Keep weighing, but only once a week. You never know, what the magic number says might mean saying no to one more mince pie, or going for an extra run
  • melindadunston
    Options
    It depends what kind of person you are. If I don't get on the scale daily I lose focus. The weight creeps on quickly. If you aren't afraid you will lose focus I would still do once a week or at least every 2 weeks:)
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Since I started this journey I only weigh myself once a month. Every day is just too much for me!!!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Down 2 jean sizes and 24 1/2 total inches in 90 days. I do not need to slave to the scale. Right thing = loss. Wrong thing = gain. The scale makes me crazy.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes, you might have lost 11 lbs after a month, but you might NOT. Weigh yourself at least once per week to be on the safe side.
    Might not? How? If you weigh one month and are down 11 pounds, then weigh the next month and are down some more, you TRULY lost the weight.
    Without having to worry about little fluctuations every....single...day....
    To the OP, try it. What have you got to lose?
    It is actually quite liberating to not be a slave to the scale. You KNOW you are doing the right things to lose weight, so you ARE going to lose weight. No need to stress over it every single day.
    Once you start weighing only once a month, you have really started to gain an understanding that this is a lifelong process and that the scale isn't the boss. You really have taken better ownership in you journey when you stop worrying about the scale constantly.
    The only time I will weigh more than monthly now, is if I am changing my calories (either through diet or exercise). Then I will monitor weekly.
    Let's face it, UNLESS you eat or burn an extra 3500 calories a day over what your body requires, real fluctuations will be much less than a pound on a day to day basis anyway right? And then in cases like mine, I am only trying to lose 1/2 pound or so a week to minimize lbm loss while I lose. So I don't really see much difference even on a weekly basis.
    **EDIT**
    I will edit this to say, I hope you are measuring progress in some other way as well, like measuring inches and/or body fat. As that will tell you a more true story.
    I will use myself for an example. My ticker says 20 pounds lost (I think I will disable that in a minute).
    However my measurements tell me I have lost 29 pounds of body fat and gained 9+ pounds of lean body mass. My body fat % has went down 11% and my bench press, squat and dead lift weights have went WAY up. I can also run 2 miles now without falling over dead and I have lost enough off my waist to fit back in some jeans that haven't fit in a couple years.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a month. I have been doing it this way for my whole weight loss journey. Weighing more frequently makes me crazy and when you only weigh once a month, your numbers always go down a good amount. As long as getting off your daily routine doesn't make you slack on your diet and exercise, I say go for it! If you don't like how it turns out, you can always just go back to daily weigh ins next month.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I think people are far too obsessed with the scale number. It only tells part of the story. It's good for seeing fluid fluctuations and overall long-term trends, but generally what people really want is not a scale number, whether they realize it or not. They want to be slimmer and fitter. Sometimes that comes with a lower number on the scale, but sometimes it doesn't.

I don't think your plan is a bad one.