I hurt my foot pretty bad and now I can't run

Options
I had an unfortunate accident with my coffee table on sunday night, and now half of my foot is bruised. It is unbearable to put on sneakers and exercise (I usually run 4-5 miles a day). So far, I've been staying within my calories, but I like having that buffer from exercising if I get a little hungry. Anyone have any tips to burn calories that doesn't require putting on shoes? I'm hoping to be back in action in about a week or so.

Replies

• jsjaclark
    Options
    Do some strengh/resistance training, pushups, and situps. even if you can't do the cardio that you are used to, you can still do things to burn calories.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I have a foot injury, too! I've been doing yoga, but that still kind of hurts it. I just had to post here because I'm a runner, too... so I just wanted to say I feel your pain.
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've had several knee and foot injuries in the past that have kept me from running. Normally I would say something low impact like biking or elliptical, but I don't think that will help you. Perhaps swimming (indoor) could help. It burns a ton of calories and no shoes are required. If no pool is available in your area, I'd suggest strength training to help keep you active. Pullups, pushup, situps can all be done without shoes and it you do them right, will definitely get your heart pumping. Perhaps even burning it down (i.e. do regular pushups until you can't anymore, then go to assisted pushups (on your knees, etc). until you can't do those). That will keep your heart rate up longer and give you a better workout.

Hope you get better soon.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pool that you have access to? That is really good workout, and no shoes are needed! I hope you heal quickly, being injured sucks.
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    The pool is a great idea. There is a community indoor pool 3 blocks away. Hopefully it won't close tomorrow because of snow!