Painkillers/Constipation... what to do?

Options
2»

Replies

• nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had stomach surgery and my surgeon gave me a nasty drink the day before to clean me out so he could operate. I ask him if I could use it again if I got backed up this is what he told me to do.

mix hot water, 1 tablespoon of 100% pure maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of cayanne pepper. You must use 100% pure maple syrup. Not Aunt Jemima won't work. :sick:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I had stomach surgery and my surgeon gave me a nasty drink the day before to clean me out so he could operate. I ask him if I could use it again if I got backed up this is what he told me to do.

mix hot water, 1 tablespoon of 100% pure maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of cayanne pepper. You must use 100% pure maple syrup. Not Aunt Jemima won't work. :sick:
    Your stomach surgeon gave you the Master Cleanse recipe.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Grab some probiotic pills - that should help restore your gut flora which in turn will help get everything working. Also, miralax is relatively harmless and often works for me.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Stool softener,loads of water and maybe some strong coffee?
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I recommend Miralax. It is flaxorless and can be mixed into any drink. I give it to my daughter who has always had problems going to the bathroom. Take it daily for a week or more if need be and then once you are no longer have issues, switch to a daily fiber. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water. My rule of thumb is to drink my weight in ounces per day...so for me it's 1 gallon of water per day. Helps flush everything through the system.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was on vicodin for 8 weeks a few years ago (broken arm, plus other issues after I fell and landed on said broken arm when it was nearly healed). I also suffer from chronic constipation, and have for a long time (interspersed with periods of chronic diarrhea. Its 'fun').
    Colace is a stool softener, not a laxative. Miralax works pretty good, but it might take a while to start working. My youngest son takes it every other day to deal with his chronic constipation. Without it, he can't go (this is what his doc is having us do, its more to do with the fact that he's afraid to go). Lots of water too! You can eat tons of fiber, but without water, its not gonna go anywhere.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Throwing one out there, dark chocolate. My best friend's OB/GYN recommended 1/2 a bar of Hershey's Dark Chocolate whenever she got constipated while pregnant. She (friend) said it worked within a couple hours.

When I had abdominal surgery last year, I was prescribed Colace and OTC fiber pills to combat the possible constipation from the narcotic pain killers as well as to keep me from straining/pushing to hard (tmi sorry) while my abs healed.
  • LiveLife4Others
    LiveLife4Others Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and you could make what we call a "bomber" which is prune juice and milk of mag cocktail warmed in the microwave...it wil fix you right up :)
  • iSurvive
    Options
    I had health issues where I was prescribed senna tablets and I had to be on them for almost a year and a half. I was worried about being dependent on them but when I stopped taking them I was just fine! -- hope you get relief soon, it's a real pain in the as..... Okay someone was bound to go there. ;)
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and you could make what we call a "bomber" which is prune juice and milk of mag cocktail warmed in the microwave...it wil fix you right up :)

This is what the caregivers use at the old folks home as well
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Don't take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time.

:laugh:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I USED A SULFUR LAXATIVE ONCE FROM THE CVS. IT MADE ME POOP LIKE A DINOSAUR FROM MEDIEVAL TIMES! HORANGO MATANGO!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was on pain killers for a long long time. Needed to take Phillips while I was on them or I never would have gone. :laugh: Can't stand the liquid, so i took the pills. Every day. And drink Lots and Lots of water...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Getting 20-30g of fiber per day has worked out well for me even when I'm having to take strong painkillers. I had the problem a lot! Sucks! The 20-30g of fiber has really really helped me... Even if you need to use fiber sachets to get it all in x

Edited to add if I eat too much fiber, I can't go either. Too little or too much isn't good. Fiber works both ways x
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    STOP THE MADNESS! Now maybe you will DO the wise thing and get the tooth removed; which results do you want to continue to happen. As for the constipation: Ride it out, get HEALTHY, LIVE HEALTHILY. That means getting necessary medical treatment and having regular check-ups. What good is eating and exercising "Right" when YOU are UNHEALTHY.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I USED A SULFUR LAXATIVE ONCE FROM THE CVS. IT MADE ME POOP LIKE A DINOSAUR FROM MEDIEVAL TIMES! HORANGO MATANGO!

:laugh:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Mineral oil enema if you have a hard batch that needs to come out, get off the oxy as soon as possible, fluids, colace sometimes gives more gas than constipation relief but a couple teaspoons of molasses in your oatmeal will do wonders.
  • chrism2249
    Options
    What sucks is I was in 2 car accidents and put on pain meds and also a diabetic now I use stool softners everyday and go to bathroom once a week it's so bad what else can I do other then stop taking the meds cause I honestly need them for pain ty
  • chrism2249
    Options
    Can soma constipate u to