Heavy lifting - beginner

Options
Okay, I have decided it is time to start lifting weights. I've been going to boot camp three days a week for eight months and running two-three times per week for three months. I want to lift to strengthen my legs for running and decrease my body fat percentage. I don't have access to a gym and am living on limited funds (aren't we all).

Can some of you experienced lifters out there recommend the bare essentials for a beginner? And how much weight should I purchase to begin with? I have NO idea how much I can lift now.

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Sneak into a Gym and do your 1rm.

Get a barbell, and a power rack or bench set with ajustable arms, or rig something to make a squat rack. Buy 25lb (x2), 10lb and 5lb (x4) and 2.5 (x2) plates. Get an Olympic bar (45lb) and go from there. Wal Mart has some decent racks, I got a gold gym rack like 6 years ago and its been outside ever since, I use up to 285 on it and its still sturdy (although i do maintain it alot)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    In your situation, I wouldn't buy anything. I'd do bodyweight stuff. While bodyweight squats are pretty useless after doing like... 2 weeks of them.. . You can build up to pistol squats (one legged bodyweight squats) which take a moderate amount of strength and a lot of balance.

The "problem" with linear heavy lifting programs is that you outgrow weights fast. My wife went from a 45 lb barbell squat to a 190lb barbell squat in just over two months.For example.
  • DontWeightStartNow
    Options
    This website: Muscleandstrength.com has some really great workout routines for folks that don't have equipment, folks that have some equipment, and folks that belong to a gym. Personally I started lifting again back in August and I do not go to a gym (although I belong to one at work), I go to my basement where I have an 800 lb. bench (with a leg lift accessory) and it took me a long time to build up my barbell and plate set (well worth it). I also have a bike trainer where I do 30 minutes of cardio along with about 40 minutes of weights at least 4 times a week. I do an upper body split twice a week and a lower body split twice a week. Since August I've lost 15 pounds and I've noticed in the mirror that I am starting to like how my body looks - it is starting to look really tight and firm. I still want to lose about 75 lbs., but a pound a week is okay for me, I'll get there. And once all the fat melts away, I'll have some nice tight and firm muscles to behold!!!

The bench is my second bench, the first one was a cheapy one that was rated for no more than 300 lbs. (didn't feel very sturdy to say the least and was a complete waste of money). DON'T go cheap on a bench. Get one rated for at least your body weight plus 150 lbs. or whatever the most you will be lifting on it. Bottom line is when you have the money, invest in free weights as often as you can. For you I would start out with 8 pounders x 2 (for side raises which are great for shoulders), 10 pounders x 2, 15 pounders x 2 and just work your way up. Look on Craig's list or your local paper for anyone selling used benches and/or weights for cheap. Get yourself a good guru to get a routine in place - mine was Bill Phillips, his book is Fit For Life, however I just started reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women which is pretty good so far too. If you don't have the money to start investing in equipment, you can get really cheap gym memberships too. A lot of gyms run promotions at this time of year and I've seen some as cheap as $10 per month.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of lifting, add me as a friend if you wish! Marie
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Start checking craigs list and freecycle for weights / bars / dumbbells. Although I hear February/March is the usual time for them to really start appearing.

But I second the suggestion of body-weight to get started.

You can get started with gallon jugs of water/sand depending on how much weight you need as well. Dumbbell squats and lunges could get you started on your legs using a couple of jugs.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I do some bodyweight squats and lunges and have a 20lb weight that I use when doing that. I also have a 10lb kettlebell...but that's too easy. I like the idea of doing more bodyweight stuff (never thought of the pistol squats) and just purchase equipment little by little as I have the money. Hopefully by the time the bodyweight lifting gets easy I will have enough equipment to move up.

Any other ideas on bodyweight lifting? Work out routines, etc?