varicose veins??

Options
Just wanted to hear if any MFP friends have had any history or opinions regarding varicose veins. I just had an ultrasound on both my legs and found out my valve in my saphenous vein in both my legs is faulty. Right leg is 80% blocked Left leg 40%, both saphenous veins at ankle are shot and not working at all. Varicose vein clusters on my right calf/muscle. Was told by Dr. to either wear thigh high stockings forever or removal of all or part of the saphenous vein. I am thinking of removing the saphenous vein from groin to knee in right leg and have the varicose veins removed. Wear stocking on left leg until it gets too painful, then strip that leg as well. Has anyone ever had this procedure? I am having "out patient surgery" and will not be put to sleep. (hope I don't regret this) Was wondering if anyone stripped their whole saphenous vein from groin to ankle? That is another option but Dr. said there may be permanent swelling of the leg. Thank you all so much. Hopefully I will get some feedback so to better make my decision.

Replies

• Jgen62
    Jgen62 Posts: 66
    Options
    anybody?
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No experience, but I'll bump it since I'm curious too...
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Ive had them since I as in high school, an eternity ago.......leave em alone. My dr told me if they dont bother you, its ok.......again, this applies on ly to me ,

I did have a great aunt that died after having her veins stripped years ago, again, technology has changed since then ,just be careful and listen to your dr

again, actually, I have a big one on my left leg and the other is smaller, but no problems.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I had cosmetic VVs - my ultrasound was clear and did not show any underlying issues. I had the injections to fill the veins.

This sound much more serious.... you may end up with permenant odema that you will have to wear stockings for anyway
  • Jgen62
    Options
    Yeah the one leg is hurting a lot. So sorry about your Great Aunt.
  • Jgen62
    Options
    Joanna that is what I am afraid of. The vein is the large saphenous vein from the groin to the ankle. From the groin to the knee it is not working well enough on the right leg. Then from the knee down to the ankle the veins are varicose but at the ankles the vein is not working at all. Which is why my feet turn purple and get cold so easily. Thinking of stripping the entire vein from groin to ankle but am afraid of the edema and having to wear the stockings which are horrible to put on and off as I suffer from Rheum. arthritis as well.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into v-nus closure? I had that done a month ago. Got rid of the bulging varicose veins. If you have spider ones on your leg it doesn't get rid of those. I followed doctors orders after and had no pain at all. I had to wear a hose on my leg for a month or 2 before insurance would pay for it.
  • 141by2016
    Options
    Vein oblation is a relatively harmless procedure, and will really lower your risk of stroke. You made a good decision.
  • bcjones0716
    Options
    Venous ablation or RF ablation is the best route and does not involve removing or stripping the veins...I work for a vascular surgeon who has done countless procedures on superficial leg veins (Varicose and Spider Veins). You can read up on it here www.weknowveins.com, Dr. Magnant has been a vascular surgeon for over 20 years and he specializes in this kind of case. He is probably not in your area but still a good source for educating your self on different options for procedures etc.