4 hour body/ Brazilian jiu jitsu

Options
I was wondering how many people on here do one or both of these things. I am doing the slow carb diet right now and it is MURDERING ME!!! I have limited energy (which when doing 2 hours of intense bjj fighting one can expect to run out of gas on a regular diet, nevertheless one that restricts all white carbs). I'm on my first week. Last time I did this I went from 250 to 210 from june to december. The results were amazing. Anyone get any different results? Anyone hate the 4hb? Just wondering. And if you do Jiu Jitsu and diet let me know what you do to be able to keep your energy up for 2 hours.

Thanks

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I did the 4hbody for a few weeks last year..but I was actually doing it as very low carb because I hated all the carb options (beans) which is why I stopped, it felt like I was eating food I hated all the time. I still can't look at an egg the same again!
  • patrickmjett
    Options
    ha. Yeah I've heard this complaint before. I think thats one of the downsides (but also) one of the beauties of the diet. I'll admit, eggs, chicken bacon and every type of turkey and beans get old after a while (and luckily my gf doesn't have to be around for the subsequent gas). It totally works but for me I prefer fast results with bland food over slow results and I can't hardly eat ever. Its nice.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a Catch 22 for your goals: Limiting carbs for weight loss and needing carbs for endurance. I dont have any experience with the 4 hour body system, but by strictly calculating calories (vs focusing on carbs) I lost 40 lbs and havent had any negative effects to muscular endurance. I still train judo, japanese jujitsu, and BJJ just as often (if not more) than before and I achieved the highest Air Force Fitness Assessment score since its inception in 2004. Carbs were never on the chopping block.

Maybe the system just wasnt designed for performance athletes? You kinda need the fuel.
  • patrickmjett
    Options
    this is a possibility. I remember getting more used to it after a few weeks the last time I did it. I know a lot of guys who do this pre fight for their initial weight drop. Its inspiring to hear you didn't cut out carbs entirely. But I have cut out what tim calls "White carbs" (sugar, bread, grain) but beans and others are still ok. Its not as strenuous as Atkins. I think I'm going to start doing somehitng a little more on training days. Thanks bro. "Live by the GI"
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Anything to help a fellow gi-warrior! (im suprised that there arent as many bjj players in this fitness community). Everyone's nutritional needs are different, so I was just sharing what worked for me. I found that many carb-heavy foods were also calorie-heavy, especially the types you named. Changing it up in preparation for training sounds like a good idea. Good luck!
  • jiujitsuJoker
    Options
    A good way to get adequate energery while not "breaking" the 4HB Slow Carb rules is by upping your good fat. Snacking on nuts all day and adding lots of avacado to meals is a great way to get veggitable based proteins and fats in your machine.

Or you could break the healthiest "No Fruit" rule on training days. I know T Ferris talks about not drinking calories on the diet and no white carbs, but on hard training days it may be good for you get some bananas or berries or apples into your system and hour or two before training. Most all of THAT glucose will mostly be used to replace glycogen stores in your muscle tissue because you'll be training so hard and using your muscle and liver glycogen up.

OR , there IS a Cheat Day on the slowcarbdiet. You could put that in the middle of your training week. Like, if you train Monday through Thursday night; a good day to eat anything you want would be Wednesday.