Always over in protein!?

Options
Anyone else have this problem? Almost every day I am over my protein grams for the day! If I eat meat for more then one meal it seems I'm over. I am a meat eater though and it's really hard to not have meat in 2 meals everyday! Like yesterday I had some grilled chicken with lunch and then for dinner I had a turkey burger and I was 25g over for the day but I still had 14 grams of fat left.

Is this really a PROBLEM? I know protein certainly isn't the worst thing to be over in. I'm still under in calories, fat, and carbs on a daily basis.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein is set relatively low on MFP but is per gov't standards. If you feel it is low go into setting, change goals, custom, and increase the % protein and lower either fat or carbs.
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    I heard that too much protein can make your body work overtime getting rid of extra keytones in your system. It makes your kidneys work harder. I also heard that if you are eating things high in protein and going over in your daily allotment, drink lots of water to help flush it out. I'm over a little just about every day. It doesn't bother me any. Just drink that H2O... :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I heard that too much protein can make your body work overtime getting rid of extra keytones in your system. It makes your kidneys work harder. I also heard that if you are eating things high in protein and going over in your daily allotment, drink lots of water to help flush it out. I'm over a little just about every day. It doesn't bother me any. Just drink that H2O... :happy:

Only true for a prolong period of extreme protein levels well over 35% cals from protein. A nutritionist professor said that normal ranges for protein can be from 10-35% of daily caloric intake, and the higher end is only for athletes doing a lot of anaerobic exercise.
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I too am always over my protein intake. Given that protein seems to keep me full longer, I tend to not worry too much about it. I concentrate on not going over my caloric intake. I think that is the key. I also eat a balanced meal every meal and have consistently been loosing weight.

386041.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I changed my protein goals because I feel better when I eat more.

"My Home," "Goals," and go to "Custom," then change whatever you think needs to change. I've changed my protein & carb goals (I'm set at 25% protein, 25% fat, and 50% carbs now because I feel better eating this ratio) as well as my fiber (min 25g) and sodium goals (max 2000mg). :wink:

We all have different body chemistry so different combos work better for different folks. You just have to play around and find what works best for you. MFP goals aren't set to anything other than US government recommendations (I guess you've gotta start somewhere).
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Maybe I'll look into what I always have left over and up my protein a little. I'm actually eating a decent amount LESS meat then I was before and was just really surprised to be over a lot of days.