Hired a personal trainer yesterday

Options
She told me to take my body weight, multiply it by 11 then subtract 1000 calories from that to get the amount of calories I am to eat each day.

(BW x 11) - 1000 = cals to eat per day.

That will give me a 7000 calorie deficit at the end of 7 days and that will equal a 2 pound loss each week. (3500 calories = pound lost).

The calories calculated here are a little lower than the formula she gave me.

She put me on an exercise circuit of a 10 minute warm up, 30 minute resistance training and then 30 minutes on cardio for about an hour's worth of exercise 5x a week.

I just really liked learning a simple formula based on my present weight. Having done WW so many times in the past and failing...it's nice to actually have real numbers to work with rather than points.

Makes it seem so simple finally!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    She told me to take my body weight, multiply it by 11 then subtract 1000 calories from that to get the amount of calories I am to eat each day.

(BW x 11) - 1000 = cals to eat per day.

That will give me a 7000 calorie deficit at the end of 7 days and that will equal a 2 pound loss each week. (3500 calories = pound lost).

The calories calculated here are a little lower than the formula she gave me.

She put me on an exercise circuit of a 10 minute warm up, 30 minute resistance training and then 30 minutes on cardio for about an hour's worth of exercise 5x a week.

I just really liked learning a simple formula based on my present weight. Having done WW so many times in the past and failing...it's nice to actually have real numbers to work with rather than points.

Makes it seem so simple finally!

Just make sure you are not eating less than 1200 cals per day net (eat 1200 cals plus your exercise cals).
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I think trainers work well when people need that extra push. My only concern is that though that formula works for you now, it won't always work after you lose more weight. (According to that formula, I should eat 320 calories a day. No way!) I'm no trainer, and I'm sure your trainer would tell you this also, but it's just additional proof that as our bodies change, so should our treatment of it!
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a naysayer here, and maybe the formula works well for you...but I'm 6'3 225 and doing my daily activities I burn about 3000 calories a day...that's not including my workout. My caloric intake for the day using the trainers method would be 1475 calories...that means with a workout I would be running around a 2000 calorie deficit per day. That's a lot of muscle/bone I would be burning along with the fat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    this is NOT a generic formula people, it's for someone who is obese, scarecrow, you aren't obese, for you to lose weight you should have a deficit of probably no more than 5 to 700 calories, depending on your body fat.

This is the advantage of a personal trainer, they can customize your weight loss to you. I'm sure her trainer didn't tell her, but that formula she gave her (if the trainer is worth his/her salt) has been customized or semi-customized to her body type.

as a matter of fact, teb probably shouldn't have even mentioned the actual formula as it will just perpetuate myths out there. While it's probably correct for her, it's not going to be correct for most people.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    this is NOT a generic formula people, it's for someone who is obese, scarecrow, you aren't obese, for you to lose weight you should have a deficit of probably no more than 5 to 700 calories, depending on your body fat.

This is the advantage of a personal trainer, they can customize your weight loss to you. I'm sure her trainer didn't tell her, but that formula she gave her (if the trainer is worth his/her salt) has been customized or semi-customized to her body type.

as a matter of fact, teb probably shouldn't have even mentioned the actual formula as it will just perpetuate myths out there. While it's probably correct for her, it's not going to be correct for most people.

I figured it was probably something along those lines...but wasn't quite sure. That does make a lot more sense.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I figured it was probably something along those lines...but wasn't quite sure. That does make a lot more sense.

fyi, I wrote this up a while ago if you would like more info on getting a good calorie deficit for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to look at their own goals. I need to lose 2 pounds a week so I like the formula! Thanks for sharing! If you don't need to lose but are maintaining a healthy weight, a PT wouldn't put you on that formula. The goals change as you lose weight. My PT has me on a 1200 calorie diet and that aligns well with this formula. Hopefully, this time next year, I won't be losing but maintaining. A different formula will be in use at that time! Good luck, TEB!!!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ya, on the other end of the scale (pardon the pun), as a morbidly obese person, that calculation puts me about 800 cals OVER what my MFP deficit is for losing 2 lbs/week. Since my current weight loss is rarely 2 lbs per week already, I find it hard to imagine that adding 800 cals to my plan would be accurate. And trust me, I am no where close to starvation mode, so I wouldn't buy the arguement that upping cals would help my metabolism.
  • teb1215
    Options
    Sorry. Didn't mean this would work for everyone. I have 75 pounds to lose, so it will work well for me right now. She said she will adjust it as I lose weight.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Didn't mean this would work for everyone. I have 75 pounds to lose, so it will work well for me right now. She said she will adjust it as I lose weight.

No worries! I think it was a great conversation opener for a good discussion on how great advice needs to be tempered with your personal circumstances :flowerforyou: