DIET SODA???

Options
How bad is it to drink diet soda? I am trying to stop but it is so HARD!!!! I drink water but not like I should....What can I do to intake more water and less diet coke/pepsi?????

Thanks!

Replies

• Does the diet soda impact your weight loss? Does it make you crave other foods? Does it stop you from drinking water otherwise? If not, then don't worry about it. It does all 3 to me so I gave it up (plus I think sweeteners used in them trigger my migraines judging by my food diary compared to my migraine diary). I actually switched back to regular soda and then gave that up (it took me another year because, unfortunately, a can helps me when I have a migraine and I had to give that up since even 1 can starts me back down the soda trail right away).

I like lemon juice or lime juice in my water.

Georgia
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I personally stay away from diet soda like the plaque. The artificial sweetners are horrible for us. Nothing but man made chemicals. It's one thing that I can purposefully stay away from unlike so many bad things that are out of our control.
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I drank diet coke as if it were water (at least 2 litres a day) for at least 8 years, up until less than 2 months ago. I didn't intend to quit diet coke, I accidentally went cold turkey. My only method was that I'd been eating pretty cleanly and woke up one morning feeling thirsty ie wanton water and repulsed by the dc. Haven't touched it since.

As for how bad it is? Contentious. I don't think anyone has really proven one way or another but I don't believe it effects weight loss if you're counting calories. There is some evidence that it increases hunger but if you've got a handle on that it's not a problem. But it is full of chemicals which your body doesn't love.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have stopped drinking diet soda and drink it very rarely. I have gotten hooked on Arizona diet green tea. I love it! Its good for you too!
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Does the diet soda impact your weight loss? Does it make you crave other foods? Does it stop you from drinking water otherwise? If not, then don't worry about it. It does all 3 to me so I gave it up (plus I think sweeteners used in them trigger my migraines judging by my food diary compared to my migraine diary). I actually switched back to regular soda and then gave that up (it took me another year because, unfortunately, a can helps me when I have a migraine and I had to give that up since even 1 can starts me back down the soda trail right away).

I like lemon juice or lime juice in my water.

Georgia

Thanks!!! Maybe that is why I get headaches I will have to cut back on diet soda I've been drinking it forever :9 I need to start drinking water a whole lot more than I do now :)
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!!! :) I don't know how to stop cold turkey hahaha Sometimes it tastes nasty especially when it is warm Yuck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Opening this can of worms again.... Drink it if you want, or don't if you don't want. Personally, I don't touch the stuff and never will. Nor do I drink regular soda anymore. Do some research and then decide what's right for you. But if you are giving it to children, then it's my opinion that you are obligated to know more about the subject.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really bad
  • dcat4563
    dcat4563 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    my all time favorite is regular Coke! I was never one that just sucked them down one right after another, but they are addicting! I gave up regular cokes, to save on calories, but had one at wendy's one day and I was like a crack addict! needed another hit!

I drink diet dr. pepper sometimes still. Diet coke makes me immediately tired - as in two sips in and i'm ready to crash. Diet dr. pepper doesn't have that same effect. i tried lipton diet green tea and after several times of it giving me an intense headache i gave that up too! i find that if i drink more than one diet dr pepper in a day it does make me feel bad though. i also drank coke zero for a while and even though it didn't give me headaches or anything i realized it doesn't even taste good. like the fizz was masking nothingness. if i wanted no taste i'll drink water!

basically every diet drink does have some negative effect on me :(
    other than the occassional diet dp i drink unsweet tea (with no sweetener) and water. i use lemon to give flavor to both of those.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    phosphoric acid could potentially leech calcium from your bones. ASide from that, there isn't really any actual scientific data against them.

And not all sodas have the acid. Mostly colas.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it for years. I'm not dead yet, I look better than I ever have at any point in my life, and I feel better. So, it's not that bad.

But, you know... that's just my experience. I'm sure Dr. Oz would disapprove of my lifestyle choice... until he starts selling his own diet cola.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi can anybody point out to some study or equivalent that says diet sodas are bad.

Coke has been around for ages and other than making us fat (which is bad enough) Ive never heard of anybody dieing of soda overdose (incredibly there is an article of water overdose)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

Everybody says sodas are bad, basically because they have heard they are bad (at least in my case) So is there study or peer reviewed article that confirms it, or do we just keep on saying it because we heard somewhere or know someone who told is it was bad.

i don't care either way, but it would be cool to hear the science behind it being bad or ehhh.. just not as healthy as water.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop and always have. I never liked how sweet the regular pop tasted so I drank diet.

There are a lot of opinions on whether it is good for us or not. There really isn't anything proven to back any of it up though. Unless you have a sensitivity to the carbination or the artificial sweeteners it's fine to drink. Some people get migraines from artificial sweeteners. Some people have no issues.

I have no issues drinking it. I love Diet Pepsi Lime and drink it daily.

It won't have an effect on your weight loss because it is 0 cals. It is chemicals sure but so are a lot of other things we eat regularly.
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Hi can anybody point out to some study or equivalent that says diet sodas are bad.

Coke has been around for ages and other than making us fat (which is bad enough) Ive never heard of anybody dieing of soda overdose (incredibly there is an article of water overdose)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

Everybody says sodas are bad, basically because they have heard they are bad (at least in my case) So is there study or peer reviewed article that confirms it, or do we just keep on saying it because we heard somewhere or know someone who told is it was bad.

i don't care either way, but it would be cool to hear the science behind it being bad or ehhh.. just not as healthy as water.
    [/quote

Diet pop itself isn't what people say is bad for you. People say it's the artifical sweetners that diet pop contain. As far as I Know there have been no proven studies of the effects in humans consuming sweeteners. There are some studies that say what sweeteners can do however I have yet to read one that proves sweeteners cause harm to humans.
  • reginamazing
    reginamazing Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    NO DIET SODA!! No soda at ALL! It is the devil! Get a juicer, make your own juice, and drink lots of WATER! I'm not big on artificial sweeteners but Crystal Light helps to break you out of the drinking soda habit. It helped me, anyway. All I drink is water, soy/almond milk, and tea.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I always used to drink Diet, Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi, 20 oz everyday. When I started MFP I did some experimenting. The days I did not drink diet pop, it was easier to maintain my calorie intake goal. On the days I would drink diet pop, I notice I would have cravings for more sugary, white-carb type foods. So it's a trigger for me definitely. No more diet pop.

However, I still felt the need for some type of caffeine intake. I switched to coffee green tea. I buy mine from Starbuck's in the form of a Cool Lime Refresher packet, mixes in with one liter of water (70 calories per liter). I only need one a day and it helps me get my first liter of water down quite easily.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    How bad is it to drink diet soda? I am trying to stop but it is so HARD!!!! I drink water but not like I should....What can I do to intake more water and less diet coke/pepsi?????

Thanks!

just fyi http://www.livestrong.com/article/444353-negative-effects-of-artificial-sweeteners/
    there's so many more benefits of drinking water, if you don't like water, you can add lemon to it, or other fruit slices... green tea is also quite beneficial. :-)
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    NO DIET SODA!! No soda at ALL! It is the devil! Get a juicer, make your own juice, and drink lots of WATER! I'm not big on artificial sweeteners but Crystal Light helps to break you out of the drinking soda habit. It helped me, anyway. All I drink is water, soy/almond milk, and tea.

Crystal light also has artifical sweeteners in it.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options

Crystal Light is just as bad... it contains artificial sweeteners... if water doesn't cut it. put fruit in it, makes a difference for me!! i see people put strawberries, orange slices, apple... i just like the taste of lemons (I'm not allowed any form of sugar/sweetener)
  • now_or_never12
    Options

Thanks!

just fyi http://www.livestrong.com/article/444353-negative-effects-of-artificial-sweeteners/
    there's so many more benefits of drinking water, if you don't like water, you can add lemon to it, or other fruit slices... green tea is also quite beneficial. :-)

Unfortunately that article doesn't prove that they are bad for you... it even says "Although safe for human consumption"