Heart rate monitors

Hi! I'm looking into buying a HRM and I was hoping I could get some input on good ones vs bad ones. I was thinking of buying a fitbit. Has anyone used one of those? What HRM would you recommend? I'm really not wanting to spend more than $120, so what are my best options in my price range. Thanks. ~Ashley

Replies

• klecourtois
    klecourtois Posts: 10 Member
    I recently purchased a Polar FT7 and love it!! It shows calories burned during my workouts as long as heart rate info! My husband uses his for his Insanity workouts and he loves it too!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I have had a Polar FT4 for a couple of years and love it! Easy to use, comfortable to wear and gives me the information I need. I think they have come down in price to so maybe around $80.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Sorry, I can't comment of FitBit, never used one.

In terms of HRMs you can't go wrong with one of the Polar FT models (the FT4 & FT7 seem pretty popular and well regarded on MFP). Right now you could pick up a FT7 on Amazon for around $80 (including the chest strap) and the FT40 is under $110

Here's a link to Polar's website, perhaps comparing features may help you determine which one is best for your needs.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    A Fitbit isn't an HRM; it's a sort of souped up pedometer. You need to decide if you're mostly concerned with catching and tracking all your activity (primarily walking and running), for which Fitbit is great; or mostly concerned with accurately calculating your heart rate during specific exercise sessions -- in which case you want an HRM. I do have an HRM, but it was a present and part of a GPS, so outside your price range.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    aharper - I purchased a Timex for around $70. Works well. Has so many features. I figure most HRM's will crap out if you use them regularly, so why pony up more than needed? My needs were met with the timex.
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    I've had a polar FT4 for about 3 weeks now. I love it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Anything from Polar, Suunto and Garmin will be good. Find the one with the features you want that fits in your budget.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. Shows heart rate, calories burned and is easy to setup and use. It uses the chest band to send a signal to the watch, which is the best way.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    I have a body media and I love it. They are on sale. Heard ups and downs about fitbit but heard polar 7 is good too
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    I have a Polar FT-7. I think I paid around $80 for it. The chest strap is comfortable, I barely notice it. It tracks heart rate and calories and how long you've exercised. Has a pause feature if needed. I really like that after my workout, it tells me how much time was spent burning fat and how much time was fitness. I love it.
  • amberlee08
    amberlee08 Posts: 18 Member
    I've had a Polar for 6 months. And i love wearing it during my workouts. I bought a fitbit to try to motivate me to walk more. but its definitely not for using for workouts.
    I also dont particularly want to know how many calories burned when i'm just walking, I'd rather not have them subtracted on myfitnesspal. Just my workout calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Ok, I'm going to disagree a bit on the advice here.

You need to first determine what you are going to use it for. Every good HRM does not work well in ALL conditions.

Gym only?
    Swimming?
    Running?
    GPS?
    Strength training?

So - if you are planning to focus on gym work - be aware that certain garmins with GPS function do not work in the gym.
    If you are planning to use it for Strength training - forget about it, they are all useless.

Decide the use, then based on that you can refine your choice.
  • amberlee08
    amberlee08 Posts: 18 Member
    Ok, I'm going to disagree a bit on the advice here.

You need to first determine what you are going to use it for. Every good HRM does not work well in ALL conditions.

Gym only?
    Swimming?
    Running?
    GPS?
    Strength training?

So - if you are planning to focus on gym work - be aware that certain garmins with GPS function do not work in the gym.
    If you are planning to use it for Strength training - forget about it, they are all useless.

Decide the use, then based on that you can refine your choice.

she's doing insanity (per her other forum post)
    which is why i said a polar HRM
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 I got off Amazon for $90. I love it.