I only like fatty foods how can I still lose weight?

Options
ICarla
ICarla Posts: 200 Member
Ok so I'm fairly new to this. Although I've been on the site for almost two years I just gained friends about 20 days ago. Anyway I love love love potatoes!!! I love fried foods and fattening foods. After looking at my diary I realize that although I am for the most part staying within my 1200 cal/day limit, most of the food I am consuming is deemed bad for you. How will this hinder my weight loss process? So far I've lost 7.4 lbs in the last 20 days but I figure thats just because I'm so big (217 lbs) Will eating this food slow me down? Help!!!

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Obviously fried foods are not as healthy. If you open up your diary so people can see you could get more help because people could take a real look at what you are eating.

It's normal to drop weight fast in the beginning because you were overeating before. A lot of it is water retention.
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. However, try working healthier foods in. Fruits and veggies have a lot more nutrients so your body feel better, not to mention they give you a lot more volume for fewer calories.

Potatoes are fine for you. And if you eat the skin, you get nutrients from it. Start working in a few healthy foods and you may end up liking them, or finding delicious ways to prepare them. Baby steps...
  • ICarla
    Options
    Obviously fried foods are not as healthy. If you open up your diary so people can see you could get more help because people could take a real look at what you are eating.

It's normal to drop weight fast in the beginning because you were overeating before. A lot of it is water retention.

How do I open it up?
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    One huge motivator for me to eat healthy is I look at how much more food I can eat for the same amount of calories. I love to eat!!
  • ICarla
    Options
    I figured out how to do it lol. I just opened it up.
  • ICarla
    Options
    If you're at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. However, try working healthier foods in. Fruits and veggies have a lot more nutrients so your body feel better, not to mention they give you a lot more volume for fewer calories.

Potatoes are fine for you. And if you eat the skin, you get nutrients from it. Start working in a few healthy foods and you may end up liking them, or finding delicious ways to prepare them. Baby steps...

Thanks for that encouragement. I am usually a fast food girl its hard trying to figure out what to eat.
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What is it about fatty foods that you like? There is almost always a healthier choice .

Also what are your goals.
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    Start adding in a few healthy foods..your taste buds will change, it just takes time. I'm living proof of that! I no longer desire foods I once thought I couldn't live without.
  • ICarla
    Options
    What is it about fatty foods that you like? There is almost always a healthier choice .

Maybe its psychological lol the fact that they are fatty. But for example, I'd almost always choose a piece of fried chicken over baked. Fries over veggies. I do like fruit, but sometime around puberty I started eating oranges, apples, and bananas and my throat started itching really bad. So I'm limited to like strawberries, grapes, and pineapples. I love anything with cheese on it. As a matter of fact a lot of my calories are from cheese.
  • ICarla
    Options
    My goals are to lose weight, become physically fit, and ultimately I'd love to run a marathon...whereas now I can barely walk up the stairs. I'm just afraid that I'll lose weight but still be terribly out of shape.
  • berrythin79
    berrythin79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I struggle with eating a lot of fatty foods as well. Like everyone is saying you have to find a balance and maybe work to limiting yourself on the high fat foods. I ususally can go without fatty food then the craving begins. So adding one or two in that you enjoy during the week should help out. Its hard to loose weight if your diet is not balance with food and excercise. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    my eating habits haven't changed drastically. I still eat fried food on occasion, pizza, fast food...for me, it's about trying to encorporate more movement, more veggies, more fruit and Smaller portions. I make the occasional modification - instead of french fries, I'll bake some potato planks.

If you don't want to change a lot, you can still lose weight - you just won't be as healthy as you can be and it may take you longer.

I started off bigger than you are and I've been doing this a little over a year...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    As long as you're restricting calories, you will lose weight.

In the long term, it's a good idea to start finding ways to eat more fruits and veggies and less processed food.

And potatoes aren't fattening.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You wont lose weight if all your eating is junkfood. Plain and simple.
    WHAT YOU EAT has everything to do with losing weight, not exercising.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't see too many problems with your intake, it is obvious you are trying to do well and taking this seriously. The crab dip the other day is questionable.

Before I joined I was in a year long rut of fast food 5 or more times per week.

Things that helped:
    Pack your lunch. Or at a minimum bring snacks. Say you are going to subway or chick fil a. Much better to eat an apple first and then stick to only a sandwich from there and skip the chips, fries, etc.
    Prepare your dinner in a healthier way, for example bake or broil your meats, add in veggies or a salad. Watch your butters, spreads, etc. even if you have a baked potato you don't want to load it down with butter.
    Try tracking things like sodium and fiber.
    If you are breaking a fast food habit one of the easiest ways in my opinion is to see the mega ton of salt you are consuming with the choices you are making. If you make a conscious effort to stay under your sodium and fat goal and try to get your recommended fiber intake, you will force yourself to make healthier choices and exchanges.
    Best of luck to you! :):):)
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Maybe its psychological lol the fact that they are fatty. But for example, I'd almost always choose a piece of fried chicken over baked. Fries over veggies. I do like fruit, but sometime around puberty I started eating oranges, apples, and bananas and my throat started itching really bad. So I'm limited to like strawberries, grapes, and pineapples. I love anything with cheese on it. As a matter of fact a lot of my calories are from cheese.

I have found a lot of baked "fried chicken" recipes that are super delicious. Pinterest is your friend. :) And I eat potatoes quite a bit and bake french fries instead of frying them. It makes you think you are eating bad food because it is so good, but it really isn't that bad for you. If I know I am going to have potatoes or something, I will try to eat things with less carbs throughout the day to even it out. I am with you though, I love fried anything, but this has worked for me. Good luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    For the next couple of weeks, just keep logging and noticing which foods gobble up your calories without leaving you very satisfied.

You will lose weight while in a calorie deficit, regardless of the "quality" of the foods you're eating. (Twinkie diet? Guy lost 27 lbs and his bad cholesterol went down while his good colesterol went up)

As you continue to log and hit your calorie goals, keep trying new foods and recipes.

Just be patient. Small changes will occur over time and you *will* overhaul your eating habits. Mainly because at some point, you'll notice stuff, like: a huge plate of seasoned steamed veggies and a piece of grilled protein gives a whole lot of eating satisfaction for a very modest number of calories. An order of french fries may use up the same number of calories, but will not leave you as satisfied/full.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    You have to change your outlook on food. All of those fatty foods you like won't fuel you properly if you ever want to run a marathon.
    Pre-plan and learn to eat for fuel. Go for good fats over bad. Know that those fatty foods aren't just high in calories and may not aide in weight loss but eaten in excess will lead to other health problems.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Keep trying to incorporate vegetalbes and fruit into your diet. I got my son to eat broccoli by drowning it in cheese when he was little, then gradually easing up on the cheese until now he likes it even just with a little salt and pepper. :) You can do it. Don't force yourself to eat something that will make you gag, but try small portions of new things to discover what you might and might not like. You may find yourself surprised. :) Good luck!

And you don't have to give up fried foods all together, but try alternative healthier versions too. Like "oven fried chicken"
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You wont lose weight if all your eating is junkfood. Plain and simple.

False information.
    Eating at a calorie deficit will cause weight loss. Source of calories is irrelevant.