Low-Carb Hotel Stay

I'm traveling for business next week, and my hotel room includes a microwave and fridge. I plan to buy groceries so I don't have to eat out every day. The hotel has a fitness center and pool - yay. :)

What are some low-carb dinners I could make in the microwave? My boyfriend suggested scrambled eggs in a bowl with some sausage and shredded cheese.

I'm trying to avoid noodles and other TV dinners that are full of sodium and carbs.

Any ideas?

P.S. I eat under 120 carbs per day because I have insulin resistance. Staying between 80 - 100 per day gives me the best results.

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Do you just prefer low carb?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Steam in the bag veggies or those pre-mixed salad-in-a-bag, fruit, pre-cut raw veggies. Steam in the bag pre-seasoned chicken or fish, canned fish (or those little foil packettes), pre-cooked chicken breasts, greek yogurt.
  • Sargento Reduced Fat Cheese Sticks with Deli Turkey wrapped around it. Very filling and No Carbs.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Salmon cooks really well in the microwave. Lower soduim soups. Bacon also cooks nicely in a microware, you could have a BLT salad.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I'm traveling for business next week, and my hotel room includes a microwave and fridge. I plan to buy groceries so I don't have to eat out every day. The hotel has a fitness center and pool - yay. :)

What are some low-carb dinners I could make in the microwave? My boyfriend suggested scrambled eggs in a bowl with some sausage and shredded cheese.

I'm trying to avoid noodles and other TV dinners that are full of sodium and carbs.

Any ideas?

P.S. I eat under 120 carbs per day because I have insulin resistance. Staying between 80 - 100 per day gives me the best results.

Bacon topped with bacon

cheesy broccoli
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I can't see cooking in a microwave. Ewww, yuck.

When I have been on business travel I usually find a Red Robin or some restaurant and have a salad and bunless burger.......or steak and steamed vegetables.

I get reimbursed anyway, so I eat where and what I like.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member

When I have been on business travel I usually find a Red Robin or some restaurant and have a salad and bunless burger.......or steak and steamed vegetables.

I thought about that, but considering I'm eating lunch on campus, I'm a little leery about getting too much sodium. That's why I'm hoping to make stuff for dinner in my room.

I like the suggestions for wrapping deli meat around cheese sticks, the bagged salad, etc. Thanks, everyone. Keep 'em coming. :)
  • How about the pre-cooked bacon, hard boiled eggs (you can purchase them shelled already in a bag), canned tuna pouches, rotisserie chicken, or deli meat from the meat counter.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

I thought about that, but considering I'm eating lunch on campus, I'm a little leery about getting too much sodium. That's why I'm hoping to make stuff for dinner in my room.

I like the suggestions for wrapping deli meat around cheese sticks, the bagged salad, etc. Thanks, everyone. Keep 'em coming. :)

Sodium shouldn't be that much of an issue with a low carb lifestyle.

I wouldn't be going to fast food restaurants for a bunless burger and salad, but restaurants like Red Robin, etc you can get a decent meal and can also give them any restrictions as no salt, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    cheesy broccoli

Excellent idea! Broccoli cooks very well in the micro.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member

Deli meat and cheese both have a lot of sodium...and sodium isn't a bad thing in and of itself. Unless you are willing to pre-cook some meat and eat only fruit and vegetables with no dressings other than oil and vinegar, you are going to get sodium in any prepared meats and any cheese. Just balance your sodium intake with a lot of fresh vegetables. Not canned.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Verify with the hotel directly that the "fridge" in the room is an actual fridge. I've worked in many hotels where the "fridge" is actually a mini-cooler and often the guest's food would spoil because it didn't keep things cold enough.

Do you have the ability to bring pre-made meals to just heat and eat each night?
  • lovechicagobears
    Verify with the hotel directly that the "fridge" in the room is an actual fridge. I've worked in many hotels where the "fridge" is actually a mini-cooler and often the guest's food would spoil because it didn't keep things cold enough.

Do you have the ability to bring pre-made meals to just heat and eat each night?
    I could do that too. I'm not flying, so I can bring whatever I want. I'd planned to go shopping this weekend. I could maybe create some little Bento-type meals with meat, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, tuna salad, and so on.

It's a mini-fridge, but it's an actual fridge. I called to check. It's similar to the kind I had in college. It doesn't have a freezer, but that's ok.
  • lovechicagobears
    Deli meat and cheese both have a lot of sodium...and sodium isn't a bad thing in and of itself. Unless you are willing to pre-cook some meat and eat only fruit and vegetables with no dressings other than oil and vinegar, you are going to get sodium in any prepared meats and any cheese. Just balance your sodium intake with a lot of fresh vegetables. Not canned.
    Excellent point.