PSA - Adequate Protein

Options
Twice today I have seen people post that you should be getting 1lb/body weight of protein. Not only is this incorrect, its impossible. Show me anyone that can eat their body weight in any type of food in a day and I will come up with a way to get you a million dollars. the correct amount is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. There are roughly 454 grams in a pound. I weigh 260 pounds, therefore my diet needs to consist of 0.57 pounds of protein per day, not 260 pounds of protein. Just fyi for the people new to weight training.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Twice today I have seen people post that you should be getting 1lb/body weight of protein. Not only is this incorrect, its impossible. Show me anyone that can eat their body weight in any type of food in a day and I will come up with a way to get you a million dollars. the correct amount is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. There are roughly 454 grams in a pound. I weigh 260 pounds, therefore my diet needs to consist of 0.57 pounds of protein per day, not 260 pounds of protein. Just fyi for the people new to weight training.

I doubt anyone has seriously suggested 1lb of protein per pound of body weight. Likely, it's just a typo.
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard to eat one GRAM of protein per pound of body weight. Never a pound for a pound. That would be impossible!
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    Ha I'm one of those two from today, def a typo. Meant to say gram!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    bah ha ha. Do you really think people thought they had to eat pound-for-pound their body weight in protein?

I'm seeing a run on hamburger.