why have gym lost the hardcore feel

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCnnYOiXB2BeyDbn87imCpjxnPkyX4foqpOp0xedP3B4ZfWR4K

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and him/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the PUBLIC gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy.

You think a gym where you pay membership is a PUBLIC space?

Might want to review your definitions there, friend.

If you are working hard enough to need to drop weights at the end of a set, you probably need to go find a powerlifting gym with like-minded folks. The rest of us simply don't want or need to listen to your racket.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    those aren't gyms, they're cardio-centers

I agree gym are not gym there are cardio centres all the people do is cardio
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I love it when there are guys lifting the heaviest weights, then you look and they have chicken legs, or a big gut! Balance out the work-out man!!

This has always amused the hell out of me as well.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/gAYL5H46QnQ <~ AND I THREW IT ON THE GROUUUUNND ♪

I'm an ADULT!

*this is gonna be in my head all day now...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    apparently you have not found the right gym for you...

When I am on the treadmill doing my warm up, I don't want to hear some guy grunting like he is about to give birth or something. I understand that the weights are heavy, and I have grunted a bit trying to get that last rep out, but I bet they can't hear me across the gym!

If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy. When I hear stuff crash to the floor after a gut wrenching grunt, I kinda want to look around and see who is dying on the floor.

Sometimes bada$$ery is loud.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Let me know when you're deadlifting 350 plus quietly

THIS
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Also, gyms where Arnold and his contemporaries would have trained probably didn't look like most gyms of that day either.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy. When I hear stuff crash to the floor after a gut wrenching grunt, I kinda want to look around and see who is dying on the floor.

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and he/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy in a gym mind you.

[biting tongue to prevent turning into the grammar police]

I totally understand about pushing your limits and creating muscle trauma. That doesn't mean that you can't dial it down a few lbs and not grunt THAT loud, or throw it down on just about every rep. AND, I shouldn't have to worry about flying/rolling dumbbells as I am walking through the gym...

You are over dramatic and clearly over exaggerate. Flying weights ... really?? [biting tongue for idiocy] From your post you certainly are very ignorant when you say "dial it down a few lbs" Let me explain in order to create a stronger muscle you have to push that muscle and not the opposite and lift a lighter lb weight. So if they followed your advice then they would get no where in their goals all so you can not be annoyed at the gym with those that exerceise to fatigue you clearly know nothing of.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I love it when there are guys lifting the heaviest weights, then you look and they have chicken legs, or a big gut! Balance out the work-out man!!

I work Legs i got no Gut i lift heavy u havent seen me LOL
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The rules in the gym are about being respectful of other people. Hearing a barbell drop crash to the floor is not just loud, the shock of the sound can disturb the concentration of other lifters. You are not the only person in the room! Some jerk dropped his enormous dumbell on the floor when I was doing an over head press, startled me, and I almost dropped the barbell on my head. There's no need for that noise, and if you need, build your own home gym and do whatever you want.

*Don't comment on this post! Don't comment on this post! Don't comment on this post! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!*

Damn voices!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Because meatheads don't pay the bills.

I say this as an admitted meathead.

Yeah, that too.

Speaking as someone who works at a large fitness center, unfortunately, the 10% of those I would call "meatheads" account for about 80% of the problems with disruptive behavior, leaving the place a mess, unsafe dumbass behavior, etc.

Interestingly, there a few guys who are quite big, extremely knowledgeable, excellent form, very serious about their lifting--and they seem to be able to lift heavy and do their workouts just fine without being self-centered a-holes. So I know it can be done.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is no Dana, only Zuul.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and he/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy in a public gym mind you.

I totally understand about pushing your limits and creating muscle trauma. That doesn't mean that you can't dial it down a few lbs and not grunt THAT loud, or throw it down on just about every rep. AND, I shouldn't have to worry about flying/rolling dumbbells as I am walking through the gym...

Sorry I interrupted your reading

what is THAT supposed to mean? The run on sentence and grammar issues make my head hurt.

I have only been lifting for a few months, but even when I am breaking a PR, and leg pressing more than my body weight, I don't grunt like I am giving birth to a weight plate.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There are actually rules about grunting at some gyms? That's ... odd.

Some clanking of weights is unavoidable, but there are safety issues with falling weights; so I wouldn't want to see uncontrolled falls, unless in a designated area for those doing the really heavy stuff.

Personally, I had someone else's barbell fall on my foot once (resulting in a broken metatarsal), so I'm probably a little more paranoid than most about falling weights.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    apparently you have not found the right gym for you...

When I am on the treadmill doing my warm up, I don't want to hear some guy grunting like he is about to give birth or something. I understand that the weights are heavy, and I have grunted a bit trying to get that last rep out, but I bet they can't hear me across the gym!

Sometimes bada$$ery is loud.

Maybe--but mostly it's just empty posturing.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The rules in the gym are about being respectful of other people. Hearing a barbell drop crash to the floor is not just loud, the shock of the sound can disturb the concentration of other lifters. You are not the only person in the room! Some jerk dropped his enormous dumbell on the floor when I was doing an over head press, startled me, and I almost dropped the barbell on my head. There's no need for that noise, and if you need, build your own home gym and do whatever you want.

THANK YOU!! finally someone with some sense

^^AGREED.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and he/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy in a public gym mind you.

Then stay the hell out of the gym. If I'm going for a new PR (personal record) I'm not going to dial it down for your convenience.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have only been lifting for a few months, but even when I am breaking a PR, and leg pressing more than my body weight, I don't grunt like I am giving birth to a weight plate.

I was going to flame you because the more you keep posting, the more it shows you have no idea. But after I had been lifting only a few months, I also had some misconceptions about weight lifting. Revisit this topic when you can deadlift 2x your body weight.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

I probably wouldn't drop a weight or groan if I was maybe leg pressing 30lbs either. :tongue:
    Let me know when you're deadlifting 350 plus quietly

^^THIS
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There are still plenty of "hardcore" gyms out there (at least there are where I live)...they just don't advertise for clients the way a chain like Planet Fitness does. Not every gym is for everyone (there are people who ONLY want to pump iron and others who prefer to glide along on the treadmill at a place that offers childcare).....you just have to find the one that suits YOUR needs....