Gain Weight on Clean Calories?

Options
I started using MFP at the beggining of this month, and I love that it helps me eat healthier. However, while most peoples goals on here are to lose weight, I am trying to build. I'm currently 6'6", 260, would like to be 285-300. My problem is that I feel like I eat all day, and still cant eat the calories I need to not be in a calorie deficit. I got a fitness test a few months ago, it says my maintenance level is 3700 calories a day. MFP suggests 2390, which I obviously want to exceed. Any suggestions on very callorically dense foods that arent high in fat, sodium, etc. and wont break the bank?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP at the beggining of this month, and I love that it helps me eat healthier. However, while most peoples goals on here are to lose weight, I am trying to build. I'm currently 6'6", 260, would like to be 285-300. My problem is that I feel like I eat all day, and still cant eat the calories I need to not be in a calorie deficit. I got a fitness test a few months ago, it says my maintenance level is 3700 calories a day. MFP suggests 2390, which I obviously want to exceed. Any suggestions on very callorically dense foods that arent high in fat, sodium, etc. and wont break the bank?

Why are you avoiding fat?

Fat has 9 calories per gram and as such, it's going to be calorie dense.

Can you decrease activity to lower your TDEE?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on very callorically dense foods that arent high in fat, sodium, etc. and wont break the bank?

I don't understand this... sounds like you're asking for car suggestions that aren't cars?

Calorie dense foods... the densest have fats. Things like nuts and seeds are great. Is there a reason you are avoiding fats? And aren't you trying to "break the bank" since you're having trouble hitting your goals?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ice cream (get over your phobia of dietary fat)
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    sorry, Im ok with unsaturated fats, just seems like the only way to pile on calories is with saturated fats. as to breaking the bank, I was reffering to my wallet.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    sorry, Im ok with unsaturated fats, just seems like the only way to pile on calories is with saturated fats. as to breaking the bank, I was reffering to my wallet.

Saturated fats aren't the horrible thing so many people have made them out be. IMO, one of the best meals you can have is a nice big steak. 1000cals easily, all protein and fat... just what the body needs. I like tenderloin, but it's one of the most expensive cuts. Ribeye is very popular too, and much less expensive.

I go back to what I said before... nuts and seeds. Also, whole milk, non-fat-free dairy of any kind, really... cheeses, yogurt, etc.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Saturated fats aren't the horrible thing so many people have made them out be. IMO, one of the best meals you can have is a nice big steak. 1000cals easily, all protein and fat... just what the body needs. I like tenderloin, but it's one of the most expensive cuts. Ribeye is very popular too, and much less expensive.

I go back to what I said before... nuts and seeds. Also, whole milk, non-fat-free dairy of any kind, really... cheeses, yogurt, etc.

I'm going to assume you meant "aren't" and not "are"?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I'm going to assume you meant "aren't" and not "are"?

Correct... good catch.

*editing original post...*
  • ctbloom
    Options
    Bro, when I started trying to gain, I stayed away from fats as well. instead of getting big, I remained small, pissed off, and tired. Throw some peanut butter in with your meals or something of that sort. I'm 6'2, 205, and gaining about 1 pound per week at 5000 calories. You can do it. Ya just gotta find out how your body works.
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well, I will give it a go, I try to snack all day as is. My diary is public, if either of you wanted to take a look at the last couple days and let me know of any suggestions you have, it would be appreciated.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Whole milk, full fat cheese, any kind of nut (or nut butter) or seed. Cook things in oil or butter. Eat fattier cuts of meat (Steak, or 80/20 ground beef instead of 93/7 for example). Complete eggs (90 calories a piece for jumbo typically). Cheesecake for dessert? ;)

Could always use weight gainer type protein shakes if you were really in a pinch. Something like Gaspari Real Mass is 600+ calories per serving. Mix it with whole milk and maybe even some peanut butter and you'll have a whole lot of calories.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Well, I will give it a go, I try to snack all day as is. My diary is public, if either of you wanted to take a look at the last couple days and let me know of any suggestions you have, it would be appreciated.

Don't forget easy snacks like (already mentioned) nuts. A handful of peanuts or almonds is an easy 200 calories. Or even something like a Larabar or a Clif Bar. They are pretty much just nuts and fruits and such. Pretty dense.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    For my third post in a row...

Looking at your diary it looks pretty good. You're just eating small quantities. 500 calorie steak for lunch, that was it? I'm on way less calories than you and I usually get 700-1000 calories for lunch. Just start increasing your portions slowly and you'll make be fine. Eat 2 bananas in the morning instead of one. Instead of 2 eggs, have 4 or 6. Add more cheese and include some ham or bacon or sausage to it. Stuff like that.