Body Fat % Goal vs. Scale Goal

Options
Anyone out there have a goal body fat percentage rather than a goal weight? I'm thinking that I might just aim for a body fat % in the healthy range (21-33% for women) rather than targeting a BMI < 25.

I'm currently 156.2 lb (5'4") with a BMI 26.8. A "healthy BMI" would be at 145 lb. I'm going to get my body fat % measured via Bod Pod within the next couple weeks and that will be my absolute number, but when calculating based on measurements and weight, it comes out around 27%. I think that a goal % between 21 and 25 will be good. Curious if anyone else is using this for their goal.

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Me too. I don't care what my weight is as long as my body fat % is healthy.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am...Hormones are wacky and my weight can fluctuate with as much as 5 KILOGRAM over a month - with absolutely no difference in measurements or the fit of my clothing.....
    I also do a lot of strengh training, so I rather track bodyfat...The scale weight would drive me nuts if I have to react to it....
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yep. I don't know what my goal weight should be, because I don't know what my body is going to look like when I get there. My initial goal is 15% bf. I started at 30%
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am more interested in meeting a body fat percentage goal than a weight goal, though right now, for me, they amount to the same thing. As I get closer to the healthy BMI range I will start focusing more on body fat percentage. It makes a lot more sense to me, health wise, than just trying to get to a number on the scale, which could be done by less than healthy means.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yeah me too, I think bf % is far more important than overall weight. Much better way to go IMO.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have been the same weight (within 3lbs) and maintaining of the last year, but I have recently started working on reducing my bodyfat. I want me some abs!!

So, yeah, bodyfat over weight!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    You might find the BMI and bodyfat percentage correlate quite well after a while and then of course as it gets lower, if you are aiming for being really lean, then I think the two diverge again...

I too aim more for lowering my bf%...I still keep track of it all once per month...but as long as the bf% is going lower I am happy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I don't even care what the number on the scale is, nobody else knows that..... but my body fat % is what is visible for all to see.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep. I only weight myself for the instant gratification (or humiliation)... my goals are all speed/strength/body fat related. Nothing to do with weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Right now, I would be happy with anything under 40%
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    BF% for me - although I don't actually measure it - just gauge whether it's gone up or down via comparing pics.... it's a quick and easy way to do it.
  • lreyenga
    Options
    Yep. I am doing the same. My stats now are pretty similar. I am 5'4" 151lb and have body fat % around 28% as calculated on line. Since I've started, I've lost less than 10 lb (fluctuates) but am continuing to lose inches. I figure as long as I am healthy (blood pressure, sugars, etc) and strong I will not live or die by the BMI and can set a goal based on how my body looks/feels.

However, there are online calculators that tell you what your goal weight should be for a given body fat% current and goal. Since you are a scientst its pretty easy, lean body mass = current weight x current fat % goal weight = lean body mass + lean body mass*goal fat%

So for me, with a goal of 21%, my weight would be 138lb, which is within a healthy BMI. So it comes out more or less the same either way.

I track both because I like data :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If the masses on this site all went by body fat % instead of an arbitrary number on a scale they'd all be better off.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do. My goal is 6-8% body fat. With that said, I will be over weight according to BMI and Weight... And do you know what that means? That's right, I have more muscle than the average person. BooYah!
  • jesz124
    Options
    If the masses on this site all went by body fat % instead of an arbitrary number on a scale they'd all be better off.

Oh my lord YES!! You try telling them this though, it's like banging your head against a brick wall! I've just about given up with it :noway:
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm just now starting to track BF% and I started lifting yesterday. I'm putting the scale away for awhile. On that note, since I dance, I want/need to be physically lighter AND strong so I'm trying to lift heavy. We'll see if I can find that balance...
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have both weight and body fat % goals. Body fat % works better for long term goals, but not so well short term. The problem is I'm tracking it with BIA and it varies a lot from day to day, so the measurement is only useful as a trend line. It's also painfully slow. I've been able to lose about 4% in 90 days, but that will taper off as I get closer to goal. My point is, how many would be willing to accept 1% in 3 months as a goal, considering that readings could vary by as much as 1% from day to day? In other words, how do you KNOW it's real?
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Reaching a healthy BF% is one of my goals. I'd be lying if I didn't say I like the sound of a certain weight, but as my husband always reminds me, who cares what you weigh as long as you look good.
  • jesz124
    Options
    I have both weight and body fat % goals. Body fat % works better for long term goals, but not so well short term. The problem is I'm tracking it with BIA and it varies a lot from day to day, so the measurement is only useful as a trend line. It's also painfully slow. I've been able to lose about 4% in 90 days, but that will taper off as I get closer to goal. My point is, how many would be willing to accept 1% in 3 months as a goal, considering that readings could vary by as much as 1% from day to day? In other words, how do you KNOW it's real?

I couldn't give a monkeys *kitten* how slow it was decreasing as long as it was a steady decrease! :bigsmile: the way I eat and train now is totally sustainable long term so if my bf is reducing as a result of what im doing I'm 100% happy. My scale weight rarely moves but I know from pics I've lost fat. To me that's all that matters. Slow or fast I don't care!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My original goal was on the scale, but now I've switched to body fat and clothing size as my targets. I'm super close in everything, so I'll take whatever victories I can get for now since I'm having to work extra hard to see a change. My current goals are 130 pounds (2 more to lose), 19% body fat (0.4% to lose) and a size 2. I currently fluctuate between a 2/4 depending on the cut and brand.

I'd be happy to reach any of my goals, but I think ultimately I want to reach them all!