so exactly how much.....

Options
water should you be drinking a day? I have heard 8 cups aday. i have heart 12 cups... etc. But how many oz exactly. I have a 20 oz bottle and would love a straight answer as to how many bottles i should drink. Also is it true if you consume so many oz. of water a day you loose weight quicker??

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    If your urine is light yellow or clear, you're drinking enough. The amount will vary. Drinking water does not make you lose weight.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    i dunno about you but i hate having to interupt my day to piss all the freaking time. So i only drink when im thirsty.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    i dunno about you but i hate having to interupt my day to piss all the freaking time. So i only drink when im thirsty.

^^ this is my problem, too, and the reason I almost never reach 8 cups a day. I think a lot of people forget that they are consuming some liquids through their fruits and vegetables, not much but it still counts. In any case, I drink about 3-5 cups a day and feel fine.
  • RissaRoo007
    Options
    Can't give you a number amount, although I've heard anywhere from 8-10 cups a day. But the bottom line is that water is AWESOME, especially for weight loss and overall heath. Our bodies are comprised of about 60% water (this number changes depending on the source, but it's always a majority). Water is therefore super important if we want our bodies to be functioning properly and efficiently. Water helps transport nutrients, helps the body get rid of waste, and helps us dissolve our food most effectively. Even a minor lack of hydration can lead to energy loss. Plus drinking water helps your body feel more full, so you're much less likely to overeat......So drink up! :)

source:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The common amount recommended, and what MFP recommends is eight 8 ounce cups. 8x8 = 64 ounces. So, about 3 of your 20 ounce bottles per day.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The common amount recommended, and what MFP recommends is eight 8 ounce cups. 8x8 = 64 ounces. So, about 3 of your 20 ounce bottles per day.
    Exactly what I was gonna say :tongue:

But also remember that it's pretty hard to drink TOO MUCH water, so if you drink twelve 8 oz cups, that's fine too!

It took me a while to realize that when people say "8-ounce cups" that's the same as a MEASURING cup. #derkadurr :tongue:

Also yes, drinking your water does help you to *lose* weight. The volume of the water in your stomach makes you feel full, water helps to flush out your system, water helps makes all of your bodily functions run smoothly. Water is just a magical wonderful elixir that makes you win at life. #fact
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I generally have to drink about 10 cups a day just not to feel thirsty all the time. Everyone is different. The general recommendation is 8 cups, this is a good place to start. There are 8 oz in a cup, so you can do the math and find out how many bottles to drink from there. Tweak to suit your own needs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    water should you be drinking a day? I have heard 8 cups aday. i have heart 12 cups... etc. But how many oz exactly. I have a 20 oz bottle and would love a straight answer as to how many bottles i should drink.
    There is no standard answer. It varies by your size, how much you sweat, how much moisture you get from food, etc. If you are not thirsty and your urine is clear/light, you are getting enough water.
    Also is it true if you consume so many oz. of water a day you loose weight quicker??
    Water can help flush sodium out of your body and prevent water weight gain. Many people also find that drinking a lot of water helps fill their stomach so they don't feel hungry between meals. And if you are drinking more water than your body can absorb, you might burn calories through all the extra bathroom trips. But drinking a lot of water will not magically make fat disappear.
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I probably drink over 70 ounces every day, but that's because I'm thirsty. And days where I work out, I drink even more. I'm a firm believer in only drinking what you're thirsty for, not forcing yourself to chug water. Still, if you only drink a glass a day, try upping it to at least 2 or 3...
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Water can help flush sodium out of your body and prevent water weight gain. Many people also find that drinking a lot of water helps fill their stomach so they don't feel hungry between meals. And if you are drinking more water than your body can absorb, you burn calories through all the extra bathroom trips. But drinking a lot of water will not magically make fat disappear.

Well said! :drinker: (Though I don't think you burn that many more calories from the extra bathroom trips... Wish I did! :laugh:)
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    If your urine is light yellow or clear, you're drinking enough. The amount will vary. Drinking water does not make you lose weight.

drinking water over soda would DEF help...
  • puddy29
    Options
    you should drink half of what you weigh in ounces of water per day
    example if you weigh 200lbs you should drink 100oz a day of water
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 2-3 liters a day. I reccomend to others to drink at least 2 liters a day which is pretty equivalents to 8-8oz cups. So for you I would say at minimum 3.5 of your 20oz bottle :-)