Fit Bit

Options

Replies

• johnnlinda
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit one for over a month now. I thought I was pretty active till this little thing came into my life. I love it! I clip it on my pants, or panties. It's great also if you're competitive (I am) I work my hardest to stay in the top 5 of my leadership board.
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you have an IPhone...dowload Striiv and try it.......It works a lot like FitBit....but is free. It will set challenges for you and encourage you along.....it is also compatable to MFP.
  • ms_tris
    ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the ultra and I absolutely love it. It is not just a pedometer. It tracks acceleration and can tell when you are going up stairs or walking on an incline outside. The fitbit website is really cool and I love that it links to MFP. Also, I love how it motivates me to do more all day. I've had nothing but success with it so far. I'm a teacher and over the Thanksgiving break I got to see just how much more walking I have to do at home (on my treadmill) to make up for all the standing and walking I do at school. It's so eye-opening to see that even on my crazy busy days I am still "sedentary" for 6 or more hours. If you like numbers and graphs and charting your activity/calories/fitness, you might just invest in one. If your primary exercise is swimming or cycling, then it may not be your best choice unless you just want to track the rest of your day. ;0) I'm done rambling.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

There are so many things you can track with it - glucose levels, heart rate, blood pressure, body fat, sleep habits, and oh - it also tracks steps, floors climbed, distance walked, and calories burned.

Huh? How is yours tracking glucose, heart rate, blood pressure and body fat? Are you talking about measurements you're just manually entering on their site?

It won't take the measurements for you, but you can enter them into the website if you hit "log food" - you'll see a bunch of other tabs across the top.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

There are so many things you can track with it - glucose levels, heart rate, blood pressure, body fat, sleep habits, and oh - it also tracks steps, floors climbed, distance walked, and calories burned.

Huh? How is yours tracking glucose, heart rate, blood pressure and body fat? Are you talking about measurements you're just manually entering on their site?

Ok, that's what I thought you meant but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something lol

It won't take the measurements for you, but you can enter them into the website if you hit "log food" - you'll see a bunch of other tabs across the top.
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit as well! Had it 3 months and I use it every single day. It really does help you to be more motivated
    and work to get those steps and/or in my case miles in. I personally track miles more than steps.

I wear mine on the front of my bra between the girls but move to my pants/shorts waist durning a run.

I have a HRM Polar TF4 I believe and only used it a few weeks, to me once I got into the routine I pretty much knew
    when my HR was going to be. I might even sell it cause I just don't use it anymore!
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. To answer someones question about what I was looking to get out of it. Mostly I am trying to get a more accurate calorie count on everything, being that all the classes I take at the gym vary on what your putting out (so to speak). Sounds like the fitbit may be just want I am looking for. I am very competitive as well. Today will be the first day that I will not exercise since loyally logging in MFP (except Thanksgiving) and its killing me to know I may possibly go over my calories for the day. I fill like that is a fail on my part, at the same time my body needs at least one days rest a week. Have you guys ever heard of the NIke Fuel Band?? I did a little research on that too but it was a little wishy washy and then i learned about the FitBit from a Best Buy email and that seemed better from what I am hearing from all of you.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since August and it's been great! I have an old Ultra and have washed it once. They're quire durable in my experience. I always wear mine on my bra. It's been the single best tool I've encountered since starting this weight loss thing.

Getting a Fitbit vs a heart rate monitor is basically knowing what you want to use it for. If you want to just see what you're doing during an exercise, get a HRM. If you want a more general picture of overall activity, a Fitbit might be a better fit. Just remember that both are just estimating caloric burn.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. To answer someones question about what I was looking to get out of it. Mostly I am trying to get a more accurate calorie count on everything, being that all the classes I take at the gym vary on what your putting out (so to speak). Sounds like the fitbit may be just want I am looking for. I am very competitive as well. Today will be the first day that I will not exercise since loyally logging in MFP (except Thanksgiving) and its killing me to know I may possibly go over my calories for the day. I fill like that is a fail on my part, at the same time my body needs at least one days rest a week. Have you guys ever heard of the NIke Fuel Band?? I did a little research on that too but it was a little wishy washy and then i learned about the FitBit from a Best Buy email and that seemed better from what I am hearing from all of you.

I've heard that the Fuel Band wasn't as accurate. If I got anything else, it would be a Body Media band. But, I'll stick to Fitbit for the meantime as it works for me and their site is free. :)
  • Kristy528
    Options
    It sounds like the FitBit would be best for me too then. I am looking for overall actitivty. Being I have a sedentary job I want to get a realistic count on how much im actually moving and burning compared to what "I think". I think I may be in for a relaity check.... Does the fitbit help you figure out your body fat?
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not unless you get the fitbit Aria scales, but that is a whole other addiction

:-)
  • Kristy528
    Options
    Does the FitBit only run off of Apple Phones or do they have something for Android as well? I am not a I-phone user, I prefer Android.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There is a Fitbit android app, but you can only actually sync the fitbit with an iPhone.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit Link....

I LOVE IT!! Links via bluetooth to my phone and it links to MFP!! Great data!!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Its cool to start out with, but its more of an expensive pedometer. Get a HRM, its more accurate. I thought it was awesome for the first few weeks, but the novelty wears off

Couldnt agree more with the above. You will get way more accuracy out of this and I think there are other devices out there that are more meaningful. Plus the setting for sleep on the fit bit is crazy. One night it tells me I woke up 300 times and only got 2 hours of sleep, and then when I take it off the sensitive setting it had me never waking up and sleeping 10 hours....definitely not accurate and I found little help with the device for long term purposes. But that is just my opinion as I know others who like it...so its personal preference I think.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Its cool to start out with, but its more of an expensive pedometer. Get a HRM, its more accurate. I thought it was awesome for the first few weeks, but the novelty wears off

Couldnt agree more with the above. You will get way more accuracy out of this and I think there are other devices out there that are more meaningful. Plus the setting for sleep on the fit bit is crazy. One night it tells me I woke up 300 times and only got 2 hours of sleep, and then when I take it off the sensitive setting it had me never waking up and sleeping 10 hours....definitely not accurate and I found little help with the device for long term purposes. But that is just my opinion as I know others who like it...so its personal preference I think.

I bought One and returned it after a couple of weeks. It had me walking to town (I was a passenger in a car), climbing stairs (got a badge for that and there wasn't a stair around), walking in my sleep. Too many inaccuracies and I could find no way to edit. Plus it was not good for the type of exercise that I do do (I workout to a Leslie Sansone "walking" DVD which isn't really walking.) Also, like another poster my sleep activity (waking vs sleeping was really inaccurate). I think if your main activity is walking it is probably better but it really isn't much more than a upscale pedometer.
  • Majicthighs
    Majicthighs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is a Fitbit android app, but you can only actually sync the fitbit with an iPhone.

Or a PC...
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I believe the Ultra will sync with any Bluetooth 4.0 device.
  • Majicthighs
    Majicthighs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe the Ultra will sync with any Bluetooth 4.0 device.

Not the Ultra - that comes with a dedicated receiver, but the FitBit "One" which _is_ Blutooth
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this - bumping to read later