I want abs! How long does that take?! :/

Options
I have always wanted slight abs- so I have decided that I want to incorperate that into my goals. How long does it usually take a person to get abs?

I am about 4'11 and weigh about 117.
I would like to loose a bit of weight, or atleast my belly Id like to weigh around 100-110 ish. maybe about 105 to call it in the middle. Should I strive for a year? or more? any advice!
Please :)

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You've already got abs.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's all about lowering your bf% Mine started to show around 16-18%
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    9 months is the standard gestational period
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience. I have what I refer to as ninja abs...basically I have the faint outline vertically and I'm starting to show definition at the top of my supposedly existent six pack. I'm 5'2" and hover around 120lbs. I think I'd have to lose another 5-10 pounds to really get abs. If it happens, cool, if not, I'll keep my ninja abs. I've been working out mostly consistently since around July and was skinny-fat when I started (with zero abs). I'd say 25% of the battle is building up your ab muscles and 75% is getting your BF% low enough that they show.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    usually about 9 months in utero....

dammit
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    it takes a while like 6 months to a year
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Few bucks for a magic marker pack..

Ability to draw rectangles/ovals...

Couple seconds!

Instant_1a5f6d_671573.jpg
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I think 4 months or less, especially since you're already small.. A year is a LONG time to lose 12 lbs.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between now and never, hard to narrow it down without more information
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Few bucks for a magic marker pack..

Ability to draw rectangles/ovals...

Couple seconds!

Instant_1a5f6d_671573.jpg
    :laugh: Sounds like something Chris Farley would have done on SNL as one of their gag commercials...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

Took me more like 4 years

#coolstorybro
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted slight abs- so I have decided that I want to incorperate that into my goals. How long does it usually take a person to get abs?

I am about 4'11 and weigh about 117.
    I would like to loose a bit of weight, or atleast my belly Id like to weigh around 100-110 ish. maybe about 105 to call it in the middle. Should I strive for a year? or more? any advice!
    Please :)

Abs are made in the kitchen. You have to drop the BF% to see the abs. Diet is going to be key.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

Took me more like 4 years

#coolstorybro
    now thats motivation
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I think 4 months or less, especially since you're already small.. A year is a LONG time to lose 12 lbs.

Without knowing how much muscle mass she has, you really can't say
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Without knowing how much muscle mass she has, you really can't say

Agreed. No one will be able to give a good estimate of time. Who knows how the OP will diet, workout, and how the body will lose BF.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't be misled! You could lose a ton of weight and not see your abs, you may be what is called "skinny fat". Focus on fat loss to get to the point to where you see your abs.

Now how long it will take you depends on how much work you are willing to put in to see them (via diet and exercise). It starts with knowing your body fat %. For women, I understand they start to see their abs around 15% body fat. So when you know your body fat, substitute your lean body mass into the following equation:

Goal Weight = Current Lean Mass/ ( 1 - Goal BF %)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Forever