Exercising close to max HR

Hey guys.. I've been struggling with this for awhile now. I have been working out steadily since Feb 2012, and on average I'm in the gym 4-5 times a week. I do Tabata, spinning, weights, running... and have always had a pretty good fitness level. I'm not strong, but my cardio is good.

I recently became a spinning instructor and have maintained either teaching or attending 2 spinning classes a week. My AVG HR during ANY cardio workout is 170-189. I have no problem going through an entire spinning class with an avg hr of 178-189. Some of my workout peers struggle to get to 140 and when they do they are feeling like they are anarobic. I feel like I'm not anarobic until 190.

I am wondering if it's normal for me to have such a high HR while doing cardio, even after all this time? You would think it would have come down by now. I have no clue what my resting HR is.. it MUST be high for me to be able to consistently exercise at this rate. Sometimes when I START spinning I'm already at 112-116. What's the deal? Do I just have a freakishly high HR? LOL Any thoughts?

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Unless you have had your heart rate professionally tested by an exercise philologist, you can't be sure exactly what your personal maximum is going to be. The heart rate charts are not at all scientific and are merely a guideline. The charts that you see at the gym are based on 4 young male athletes back in the 1970's.

In otherwords, everyone is different. If you don't feel like passing out at 170-189, then you obviously have a much higher maximum than that. When you hit your max heart rate, you'll feel it!:smile:
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    How old are you? How are you measuring your HR? With a chest strap or wrist device or some other way? It sounds like you are above the "normal" range, but I have heard that HR can vary a lot. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Curious about the answer to this.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Just for comparison: I'm 5'2", 27 years old, 120lbs, work out 5x a week (mostly consistently since July) and when I feel like I'm pushing but not to my max, my heart rate is in the high 180s. For what feels like a good workout, I've been staying in the upper 170s to upper 180s. Then again, I've gone over my supposed max heart rate and did not feel like I was dying. I also have asthma and a scarred lung so I'm not sure what impact that may have.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I should also add that your maximum heart rate can increase with physical conditioning. It is your resting heart rate that will slow down once you become more fit. A higher maximum heart rate allows you to go longer and harder than those with a lower maximum.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Yes I find this confusing as well I try and do HIIT workout on my elliptical meaning I go hard and fast for as long as I can then slow to catch my breath then hit it again. my max HR according to the chart is 170ish but sometimes I hit 180+ usually it is ok and I slow right around when I feel like my heart is pounding in my chest then when the pounding goes away I hit it hard again. I do this for about a half hour. Is this right or am I going to give myself a heart attack :huh:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Standard, conservative formula for max HR 220 - your age.
    Lacking a professional evaluation, I'd stick to something near that to be on the safe side.

I have my doubts that adding an extra 10 beats at the high end will do all that much for you and you might be putting yourself at risk.

Edited because I totally blew it the first time.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    I don't have solutions, or answers, but can tell you that you are not alone. I have been running now for a little over a year, ran a half marathon in May and have run several races since. I got a heart rate monitor this summer and noticed my heart rate was steadily around 170 when I would run. I could still talk and such, so I wasn't about to die :) but it did make me worry. I even went to the dr. and basically everything is normal (they did a CAT scan and I had a holitor monitor on for 24 hours, nothing showed up that concerned the dr.). I have a normal/low resting heart rate of 59. I think everyone is just different, if you feel fine I wouldn't worry to much about your heart rate. I have pretty much just stopped wearing my heart monitor. If I feel I'm going to fast, I just slow down :)
  • steffanyjames
    steffanyjames Posts: 47 Member
    How old are you? How are you measuring your HR? With a chest strap or wrist device or some other way? It sounds like you are above the "normal" range, but I have heard that HR can vary a lot. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I am 34, 5'8" and I am using a Polar F7 watch and chest strap to measure my HR. I guess I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same 'high' HR... The only time I feel like I"m going to pass out is when I hit 192 for 30+ seconds, but I can usually manage to stay at 168-178 for a full 45 minutes and feel like I've had a really great workout.

Hitting 150 is like a warm up for me. It sounds crazy and I was considering going to the DR to chat about it, but thought I'd get everyone's thoughts and sound somewhat educated and informed before I went asking questions. :P
  • steffanyjames
    I don't have solutions, or answers, but can tell you that you are not alone. I have been running now for a little over a year, ran a half marathon in May and have run several races since. I got a heart rate monitor this summer and noticed my heart rate was steadily around 170 when I would run. I could still talk and such, so I wasn't about to die :) but it did make me worry. I even went to the dr. and basically everything is normal (they did a CAT scan and I had a holitor monitor on for 24 hours, nothing showed up that concerned the dr.). I have a normal/low resting heart rate of 59. I think everyone is just different, if you feel fine I wouldn't worry to much about your heart rate. I have pretty much just stopped wearing my heart monitor. If I feel I'm going to fast, I just slow down :)

Good to know, and thanks for your reply! I was considering going to the DR too. I am curious what my resting HR is. I just thought that BY NOW it would go down from exercise because my body is used to the high intensity workouts. Guess not! lol!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Corrected my formula above.

Your max is 186, using the most conservative formula I've seen.
  • steffanyjames
    Standard, conservative formula for max HR 220 - your age.
    Lacking a professional evaluation, I'd stick to something near that to be on the safe side.

I have my doubts that adding an extra 10 beats at the high end will do all that much for you and you might be putting yourself at risk.

Edited because I totally blew it the first time.

hehe thanks :) So I guess 186 (220-34) is pretty close to what I'm hitting.. but that's a great workout to me so.....

Ahh.. things that make you go HMMM! :)
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member

I am 34, 5'8" and I am using a Polar F7 watch and chest strap to measure my HR. I guess I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same 'high' HR... The only time I feel like I"m going to pass out is when I hit 192 for 30+ seconds, but I can usually manage to stay at 168-178 for a full 45 minutes and feel like I've had a really great workout.

Hitting 150 is like a warm up for me. It sounds crazy and I was considering going to the DR to chat about it, but thought I'd get everyone's thoughts and sound somewhat educated and informed before I went asking questions. :P

Yes that sounds normal. Those numbers are very similar to what mine used to be. But you can get a max heart rate test done if you are curious. Or a lactate threshold test.
  • steffanyjames
    Unless you have had your heart rate professionally tested by an exercise philologist, you can't be sure exactly what your personal maximum is going to be. The heart rate charts are not at all scientific and are merely a guideline. The charts that you see at the gym are based on 4 young male athletes back in the 1970's.

In otherwords, everyone is different. If you don't feel like passing out at 170-189, then you obviously have a much higher maximum than that. When you hit your max heart rate, you'll feel it!:smile:

You're right... I have been considering going to an exercise philologist because I'd really like to know the real numbers. LOL to the four young male athletes back in the 70's :)

Thanks for your note!
  • steffanyjames

Yes that sounds normal. Those numbers are very similar to what mine used to be. But you can get a max heart rate test done if you are curious. Or a lactate threshold test.

Oh my, what the heck is a lactate threshold test? It doesn't at all sound what I think you mean it to be ha! Googling that LOL
  • celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    No real answers, but I too am in the high HR boat. I use a Polar FT4 and consistently have a heart rate in the 170's when working out no problem. I get into the mid 180's for briefer periods, but don't last more than a couple minutes there. My true resting HR is 60-70's, but it jumps up over 100 quite easily. I'm a nurse, and honestly don't worry too much about it. I think as long as you can tolerate it and it returns to a lower rate easily with rest, not an issue!
  • steffanyjames
    Yes I find this confusing as well I try and do HIIT workout on my elliptical meaning I go hard and fast for as long as I can then slow to catch my breath then hit it again. my max HR according to the chart is 170ish but sometimes I hit 180+ usually it is ok and I slow right around when I feel like my heart is pounding in my chest then when the pounding goes away I hit it hard again. I do this for about a half hour. Is this right or am I going to give myself a heart attack :huh:

I know, right!! I often wonder if I'm going to give myself a heart attack! It's really boggling my mind these days, so I had to post and ask. I say, let's listen to the replies here, and I think you're ok, girlfriend and all the power to you for kicking it up the way you do! Way to go :)
  • steffanyjames
    No real answers, but I too am in the high HR boat. I use a Polar FT4 and consistently have a heart rate in the 170's when working out no problem. I get into the mid 180's for briefer periods, but don't last more than a couple minutes there. My true resting HR is 60-70's, but it jumps up over 100 quite easily. I'm a nurse, and honestly don't worry too much about it. I think as long as you can tolerate it and it returns to a lower rate easily with rest, not an issue!

Amazing.. thanks SO much for your reply, I really appreciate your feedback!
  • My heart rate is very similar to yours - everyone has a different peak rate. I am healthy - low blood pressure, good cholesterol, 5'2, 100 lbs. I exercise everyday. My resting heart rate is in the 60s. I have a friend, in great shape, who has to work hard to get her heart rate to 150 - 150 is a comfortable jog for me - 180's when I am running fast. I adjust my heart rate monitor for peak heart rate - and so does she - we get the same caloric burn. I have no idea if this helps you out - but if you feel healthy & good don't worry. I freak out when my HRM reads zero!! lol
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Have you considered a ramp test? They are relatively inexpensive and will give you a lot of useful data.