Ankle Weights?

Options
Would it be a good idea to wear ankle weights just wandering about during the day? I walk 20 minutes to and from work each day so thought it would burn more calories. Maybe even wear them for Zumba once I get fitter.

Good idea or not?

What weight would be best to start with?

I want to get this weight off!!

Replies

• mominwi419
    Options
    I would not.

Ankle weights are going to add pressure and weight to places not really designed to handle the extra stress.

The perceived benefit of burning "extra calories" isn't worth the risk of injury.
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Hadn't thought about injuries!
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was always told if you want to add weight for activities like walking you should use a weight vest.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Would it be a good idea to wear ankle weights just wandering about during the day? I walk 20 minutes to and from work each day so thought it would burn more calories. Maybe even wear them for Zumba once I get fitter.

Good idea or not?

What weight would be best to start with?

I want to get this weight off!!

I'm going to go against the grain here and say 20 min walking back and forth to work is fine just wear comfortable shoes. I wouldn't advise to wear them all day though or run with them on as it could strain your ankles and back. Be prepared to have some sore calves haha. Usually we use them for more Plyometric training exercises (burst movements). Try it and see for your self. You can see how you feel after 10-20 min. of walking and decide for your self.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ankle weights can do more harm than good.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would load a rucksac with a bit of weight to suit the resistance you are up to carrying rather than wear ankle weights. You will be carrying extra weight then but across your back and legs which are stronger muscles and a greater area for the loading.